The great alcohol stove shootout !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Trangia Vs Clas Ohlson and Swedish Army

OK I recently bought one of the £9.99 Clas Ohlson spirit stoves See link
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=74910389
And wondered how it would perform against my Trangia and swedish army stoves.
The similar size trangia comes in at £55 approx and the swedish army stove roughly £10 from surplus outlets.

Below are all the stoves packed up. The Swedish Army on the left, Trangia centre and Clas Ohlson on the right.
io2gzs.jpg

The Swedish army stove (this one is stainless) Comes with a burner, windshield, large pot, small pot/frypan/lid, a meths bottle and a cup or Kasa.
2nw22s5.jpg

This model Trangia comes with a burner, simmer ring, windshield assembly, 2 pots, 1 frypan/lid, pot gripper, kettle and a sturdy nlyon strap to keep it all together
2dk0rwz.jpg

And finally the Clas Ohlson has a burner, windshield assembly, 2 pots, 1 lid/frypan, 1 pot gripper and a small leatherette strap to keep it all together.
dcdjmb.jpg

Below is a photo of the burner units. From left to right Swedish Army, Clas Ohlson and finally Trangia.
2s64nlj.jpg

When lit the Clas Ohlson and Trangia perform well however the Swedish Army burner (also made by Trangia) takes up to 5 minutes to start jetting and the flames from it are weak compared to the other two. See below.
2lih6wz.jpg

Then comes the boil test. All three stoves were lit and left for 5 mins so the burners reached peak performance. 1 pint of cold water was then put on for the stoves to come to a rolling boil.
nn6xw3.jpg

First to boil was the Trangia in 5 mins 30 seconds.
292mu8p.jpg

Next the Clas Ohlson 40 seconds later at 6 mins 10 seconds
iclrvk.jpg

And finally more than 2 minutes after that the Swedish Army stove begins to boil at 8 mins 25 seconds
9i46md.jpg

In conclusion......
As suspected the Trangia is the king of the three but there isn't that much difference for the £40 extra you pay over the £10 price tag of the Swede and the Clas Ohlson. The Clas Ohlson and the Trangia both outperform the Swede by a good margin. However the Swede is bombproof and won't break in a hurry. The Clas Ohlson is lighter ally than the Trangia which makes it the least robust of the three, but in my opinion the Clas Ohlson is a remarkable 1 or 2 person stove for the money and is well deserving of some pack room.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review Dave, I do like these comparative tests.

The Tatonka burner is a good one to go for Drew, paired up with your Honey stove it's a great combination.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Good review Dave, I do like these comparative tests.

The Tatonka burner is a good one to go for Drew, paired up with your Honey stove it's a great combination.

aye yeah its great, i got the simmer ring and the stand for it and use it with a tatonka 10cm kettle. i made a wind break with a SMA tin and cloth tape and it outperforms my mates gas stove when we go fishing. i really rate it. After using trangias etc for a while i really feel that the burner works better when isolated from the ground, especially in the case of the swede army one. I use a ring of wood or the tatonka stand

however i reckon its the burner aswell, i used the tatonka in place of the swede army one with the swede tins and wind break and it was much faster than the original so i think burner design and materials plays a big part.

the tatonka is stainless steel and gets much hotter quicker than the bigger and thicker walled ?brass swede one.

If you get the swede one ditch the burner and get a tatonka one for a fiver, its really much much better then

nice review btw i enjoyed reading it, good one

cool am i right in thinking lurch would sell such things

he sell the whole tatonka range, is reasonably priced and ships bloody fast. i rate his shop muchly

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
All that boiled water an' no cup o' tea in sight!...shame on ye Davey...lol
Good review fella.....justifys the 30 quid I spent on me trangia all those many moons ago......'still' the only cook set up I pack fer every trip.goodjob

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
A nice simple test, thanks.

I think the Clas Ohlson stove looks a pretty good buy....also agree with your comments about the army version on test (although the desireability of it seems to be a bit of a 'Marmite' issue with members on BCUK).

I was lucky to get a Trangia 27-1 for a considerable discount from Blacks recently after a tip-off from another BCUK member.

Just to confuse matters I boiled 500ml of water quicker in a Swiss Ranger stove (sort of volcano stove) when using the Trangia meths burner in that, when compared to 500ml of water in my new Trangia 27.:confused:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Just to confuse matters I boiled 500ml of water quicker in a Swiss Ranger stove (sort of volcano stove) when using the Trangia meths burner in that, when compared to 500ml of water in my new Trangia 27.:confused:

my swiss ranger stove boils everything faster than everything else i have regardless what i put in it...... but you get 2 heats with it, off or full whack. atleast with a trangia you have a simmering ring for a bit of control (or a bottom of a coke can cut up for the swede army one) Its great though, and just the job for a brew on the trail if im in the mood for something different

i usually use a sigg cup and my tatonka with stand for a pocket brew kit tho as its hassle free

aye yeah its great, i got the simmer ring and the stand for it .......

....... i really rate it. After using trangias etc for a while i really feel that the burner works better when isolated from the ground, especially in the case of the swede army one. I use a ring of wood or the tatonka stand

however i reckon its the burner aswell, i used the tatonka in place of the swede army one with the swede tins and wind break and it was much faster than the original so i think burner design and materials plays a big part.

the tatonka is stainless steel and gets much hotter quicker than the bigger and thicker walled ?brass swede one.

If you get the swede one ditch the burner and get a tatonka one for a fiver, its really much much better then

Re Tatonka burner, what he said x 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Stainless steel burners are not as good as brass burners, don't warm up as quick, the Tatonka will be slower than a pukka Trangia burner.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
interesting, the swiss volcano stove is crap with a meths burner in my experience, i tried what he did but the flames didnt reach high enough if you get me. its far faster and efficient with wood as you get a chimney effect

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi Richard,

I've tried Google and Ebay for those Ranger stoves but to no avail. Do you know of any sources for them?

Claudiasboris

PS - sorry for the hijack!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE