The great alcohol stove shootout !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Richard,

I've tried Google and Ebay for those Ranger stoves but to no avail. Do you know of any sources for them?

Claudiasboris

PS - sorry for the hijack!

Optimus stopped making the 91 a few years ago, shame as its a really good stove; why not see about getting one of the £9.99 setups from Clas Olson, looks to be more or less a clone of the Ranger/91, pretty sure some kind member here would post one on to you if you asked?

There is no store near me but I'm meeting a mate in a few weeks who lives in Reading so he already has my Olson shopping list :)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks Richard.

I picked up one that looks identical to the CO version branded Trekmates from TK Max last year for about the same price. It works okay, just very, very slowly. My collector's urges can't resist the lure of the original though.

I do like my stoves and pans, I do.

Claudiasboris

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks Richard.

I picked up one that looks identical to the CO version branded Trekmates from TK Max last year for about the same price. It works okay, just very, very slowly. My collector's urges can't resist the lure of the original though.

I do like my stoves and pans, I do.

Claudiasboris

Sorry mate, I have two originals, one a 'user' and one in the box still but none for sale, but if any pop up I'll let you know.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry mate, I have two originals, one a 'user' and one in the box still but none for sale, but if any pop up I'll let you know.

Thanks Richard. I wasn't angling for any of your collection ;), just your stove knowledge and networking. Cheers.

Yes, I am a stovie - i've got a good collection. But i've also got a fair collection of sharps, packs, tarps & bashas and varied other bushy and outdoor stuff. I just can't resist surrounding myself with lovely kit. And i try to make my own bits and pieces too.

Claudiasboris

(I'll hand the thread back now...:D)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks Richard. I wasn't angling for any of your collection ;), just your stove knowledge and networking. Cheers.

Yes, I am a stovie - i've got a good collection. But i've also got a fair collection of sharps, packs, tarps & bashas and varied other bushy and outdoor stuff. I just can't resist surrounding myself with lovely kit. And i try to make my own bits and pieces too.

Claudiasboris

(I'll hand the thread back now...:D)

If you like the Ranger stove wait until you see the review of an Optimus Trapper, I'll do that this week. ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great review Dave.... one question though. Would an alliminium swedish army stove boil quicker than the SS version you used?

Only reason I ask is I've read that alluminium is a lot better at transferring heat than SS

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Great review Dave.... one question though. Would an alliminium swedish army stove boil quicker than the SS version you used?

Only reason I ask is I've read that alluminium is a lot better at transferring heat than SS

Thats a possibility mate. Ally is certainly more conductive than steel and both the other stoves are ally. I put 1 pint (0.56ltr) in each pan. perhaps you can do a timed comparison on yours and we can add it to the results...:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thats a possibility mate. Ally is certainly more conductive than steel and both the other stoves are ally. I put 1 pint (0.56ltr) in each pan. perhaps you can do a timed comparison on yours and we can add it to the results...:)

LOL.... I would do it if I had a alli version. We'll have to let someone else do that part of the experiment :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How about a picture of your collection enmasse?

There is one to start you off, look at my other (rikuk3) vids for some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taaWA5VG5V8

Couple more here

DSCF4256Small.jpg

DSCF4207640x480.jpg

DSCF4210.jpg

8r-1Medium-1.jpg

DSCF4131640x480.jpg

DSCF4128640x480.jpg

DSCF3248.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3016640x480.jpg

DSCF2881.jpg

DSCF2863.jpg

DSCF2864.jpg

DSCF2705Small.jpg

pic2-1.jpg

DSCF1780Small.jpg

c1Small-1.jpg

DSCF1668Small.jpg

DSCF0975Small.jpg

campus2-1LargeSmall.jpg

221-1Small.jpg

SIGG2Medium.jpg

DSCF0508Small.jpg

111-3Medium.jpg

DSCF0496Medium.jpg

3a_1_b.jpg

451.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

monitorcase.jpg

More in the classic camp stove archives :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i CANNOT belive you use a fleet enema bottle as a fuel bottle. I hope it isnt used! however its a nice squishy bottle with a directable (sort of) spout!!

LOL, no, unussed ED. I don't know the plastic used but that bottle has lasted me since the 06 bushmoot, the plastic has not been degraded by the meths. The design is perfect for filling primer cups and also priming a Vapalux. I picked up a few from a mate in pharmacy, the enema's had gone out of date and were going to be thrown out. I should have got more before I retired in November :(

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
LOL, no, unussed ED. I don't know the plastic used but that bottle has lasted me since the 06 bushmoot, the plastic has not been degraded by the meths. The design is perfect for filling primer cups and also priming a Vapalux. I picked up a few from a mate in pharmacy, the enema's had gone out of date and were going to be thrown out. I should have got more before I retired in November :(

next time we have any out of date at work i will ask if i can have them ;)

having used them in anger on people there is NO way i would use a second hand one lol

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
perhaps worthy of note is that with the army trangia you can use the big pan as a billy as it has a bail and hook on it over a fire and the smaller top pan will take a stick for cooking over the fire too which makes it a little more versatile. also they stack so you can warm something over your boiling pot too.

I use the big trangia (clone) for family camping
army trangia for fishing on the beach and rocks
trangia mini for solo camping as it sooooooooo cute

but recently got a crusader kit too which i like but the green heat sachets are really poor to light on a windy beach i ended up dipping my finger in the gel and lighting my finger as a big match to get it going. But alcohol gel (hand rub) works better with a firesteel

anyways im waffling

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Cracking thread ,
Im getting the taste for sprit burners lately
Have you tryed pre-heating the Swedish army trangia/svea burner by filling the ridge on the outside with meths to heat up the outside edge of the burner faster?
Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE