*The* Gift-It-On Thread

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
Bump...who fancies a little reading?

I will offer up 'A Sniper in the Arizona' a book by John J Culbertson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-Ariz...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334667332&sr=8-1-spell

"Morning was always a welcome sight to us. It meant two things. The first was that we were still alive. . . ."

In 1967, death was the constant companion of the Marines of Hotel Company, 2/5, as they patrolled the paddy dikes, mud, and mountains of the Arizona Territory southwest of Da Nang. But John Culbertson and most of the rest of Hotel Company were the same lean, fighting Marines who had survived the carnage of Operation Tuscaloosa. Hotel's grunts walked over the enemy, not around him.

In graphic terms, John Culbertson describes the daily, dangerous life of a soldier fighting in a country where the enemy was frequently indistinguishable from the allies, fought tenaciously, and thought nothing of using civilians as a shield. Though he was one of the top marksmen in 1st Marine Division Sniper School in Da Nang in March 1967--a class of just eighteen, chosen from the division's twenty thousand Marines--Culbertson knew that against the VC and the NVA, good training and experience could carry you just so far. But his company's mission was to find and engage the enemy, whatever the price. This riveting, bloody first-person account offers a stark testimony to the stuff U.S. Marines are made of.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I will offer up 'A Sniper in the Arizona' a book by John J Culbertson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-Ariz...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334667332&sr=8-1-spell

"Morning was always a welcome sight to us. It meant two things. The first was that we were still alive. . . ."

In 1967, death was the constant companion of the Marines of Hotel Company, 2/5, as they patrolled the paddy dikes, mud, and mountains of the Arizona Territory southwest of Da Nang. But John Culbertson and most of the rest of Hotel Company were the same lean, fighting Marines who had survived the carnage of Operation Tuscaloosa. Hotel's grunts walked over the enemy, not around him.

In graphic terms, John Culbertson describes the daily, dangerous life of a soldier fighting in a country where the enemy was frequently indistinguishable from the allies, fought tenaciously, and thought nothing of using civilians as a shield. Though he was one of the top marksmen in 1st Marine Division Sniper School in Da Nang in March 1967--a class of just eighteen, chosen from the division's twenty thousand Marines--Culbertson knew that against the VC and the NVA, good training and experience could carry you just so far. But his company's mission was to find and engage the enemy, whatever the price. This riveting, bloody first-person account offers a stark testimony to the stuff U.S. Marines are made of.

Yes please, I'll PM you.

Will put my offer up this evening - about to cook dinner.

Rod

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
SmileyHalloween01-1.gif

over an hour later the offer is......................

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Now now chaps - Rod hasn't even pm'd me his address yet so He's obviously got better things to do.

That's right, he's watching the screen and laughing at the vultures and the impatient kit collectors. Come on guys give him a chance to reply.

That's long enough!

What's on offer lol

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That's right, he's watching the screen and laughing at the vultures and the impatient kit collectors. Come on guys give him a chance to reply.

That's long enough!

What's on offer lol

perhaps people should only "take" if they can "give" at the same time... (although I'm as guilty as the next man). I think it would speed things up and possibly provide some interesting impulse GIO items.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think it's worth having something in mind to put up immediately. I still haven't received something from months ago and don't think the offerer is still on the site - oh well, at least we didn't break the chain

Biker

I think it's worth having something in mind to put up immediately. I still haven't received something from months ago and don't think the offerer is still on the site - oh well, at least we didn't break the chain

My thoughts exactly. I have a couple of items on hand that I know I could put up in a moment if I saw something I wanted posted here. Thread-stalling should be a birching offence LOL!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Sorry folks - got called out over a major customer fault & totally forgot the GIO thread :buttkick:

Magentus - I'll PM you as soon as I've finished posting this post.

On offer:

Nest of round metal screw-top tins;

90mm dia * 30mm high, 60mm * 15mm & 30mm * 10mm. Middle one nicely sized for a Monkeyboy style stove. All unused, although the little one's been scratched round the edge of the tin.

Since I've made vulture bait by missing my promised offer time I'll chuck in a couple of packets of Sugru as well.

Rod

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sorry folks - got called out over a major customer fault & totally forgot the GIO thread :buttkick:

Magentus - I'll PM you as soon as I've finished posting this post.

On offer:

Nest of round metal screw-top tins;

90mm dia * 30mm high, 60mm * 15mm & 30mm 8 10mm. Middle one nicely sized for a Monkeyboy style stove. All unused, although the little one's been scratched round the edge of the tin.

Since I've made vulture bait by missing my promised offer time I'll chuck in a couple of packets of Sugru as well.

Rod

Me please?

I'll offer up.... a selection of 10 powdered drink sachets (mixes with one small bottle of water per sachet) fresh off the plane from Canada. In a variety of flavours.

Like these: http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/13261996/crystal-light-on-the-go-drink

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE