The Firefly - Simple Small Alcohol Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Quick post for a small alcohol stove I've made. Will be making these tomorrow with a group of explorer scouts and using them to make pancakes.

Made the task really simple by finding a small screw top aluminium tin, which you can find on the internet normally sold by websites providing supplies for making cosmetics/soap. The tin has a capacity of 30ml, and is 45mm wide and 22mm high.

The tin is filled with perlite as an absorbing material. I got a bag from a garden centre ages ago as its can be used to aid drainage in soil, solely for the purpose of making stoves. Then a stainless steel mesh screen is added, but from a splatter guard used on frying pans.

Really simple design, takes minutes to make and is pretty effective. Will boil 2 cups of water with 15ml of meths under ideal conditions.

The tin:
20130127_214849 (800x600).jpg

Opened up:
20130127_214942 (800x600).jpg

Top view:
20130127_214957 (800x600).jpg

In action:
20130127_215611 (600x800).jpg

Thanks for looking.

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
this can be advanced, put the lid on the tin and drill very small holes around the inside edge of the lid aprox 1 cm apart, this allows the stove to then function in a similar way to a trangia burner, spreads the heat and makes the fuel last longer for the same amount of heat to cook with.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Rick,

Do you mean to use the lid as a simmer ring, or turning this into a pressurised stove?

If its the latter, then without a inner wall the stove would need to be preheated to cause the meths to vaporise and and exit the lid.

I've made semi-pressurised stoves like trangias from coke cans and from lynx deodorant cans. I've also made completely sealed pressurised stoves than had a preheat ring. I know this design isn't the most fuel efficient, but I was trying to have a simple, functional design that could be made with minimal tools.

My plan is to give the opportunity to make some more advanced/complicated stoves to any that show the particular interest in this one. I was thinking of going onto a lynx can stove next as the materials are readily available and the construction is less fiddly than other designs I've built. If you have an thoughts or designs that you think would be good then please let me know.

Thanks

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'm sure you have probably seen it already but if not
then check out zenstoves.net which should keep you going for a while.
Some excellent advice on construction and fuels too.
Cheers , Simon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Depends on the type of stove Kev.
See my link below for loads of info on this type of stove.
Quite addictive. Pop can stoves are brilliant fun to make
& work pretty well in conjunction with a windshield or a cone.
Cheers , Simon

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How about putting an O ring in the lid? that way you could store meths in it and also not worry about it leaking.
Great little stove thanks for sharing.

Steve

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
Thanks for the comments guys.

jackcbr - i got the tins from the soapkitchen website. As other mentioned vaseline and shoe polish tins are great too. I bought these as I needed ~30 for all the explorers and leaders and didn't want to have to save up tins.

Whittlerkev - this particular stove does need a stand. I've made a simple tripod from metal coathangers for these type of stoves. Other stoves don't require a stand as the pot sits directly on top for example the lynx stove and other whitebox stove variants.

jacko1066 - great idea for the O ring, will definitely do that to aid the usefullness.

Mrcharly - the mesh is fairly easily cut with a sturdy pair of scissors but may dull the edge. I used a set of tin snips in this instance whv

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Nice little stove & great project. I've been using these useful little tins for storing all sorts of stuff, but this is a much more interesting application! Great Stuff! I'm sure your scouts will love this.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
How do you fix the wire mesh in place? I've seen these a few times now. They look great for a quick cuppa!
Andy

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
you are correct that's a pressure stove and does require an inner wall. oops sorry. but its a great idea, may make them with my scouts i take it simple tools, wire cutters and a little patience will be ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE