The fire hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Prototype of a design ive been toying with for a while. Very lightweight firepit that doesnt scar.

ese6uqa6.jpg

gazazaru.jpg

u8ery8at.jpg

ate3a3at.jpg

The idea would be to hang a billy can above. Perhaps on a small tripod.

Many more optimisations to do. This is just a proof of concept to see how well the carbon felt fares.
hyredahe.jpg

ypadezyp.jpg

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I like that.

Could you use some sort of perforated material, or a ring/ mesh / chainmail type material so you could knock ash out so with extended / prolonged / larger [I'm assuming this is a smaller scale prototype?] burns you can easily prevent it from becoming choked with ash?

I suppose the size of the holes would need experimenting with to allow ash out but keep small embers in...

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I like that.

Could you use some sort of perforated material, or a ring/ mesh / chainmail type material so you could knock ash out so with extended / prolonged / larger [I'm assuming this is a smaller scale prototype?] burns you can easily prevent it from becoming choked with ash?

I suppose the size of the holes would need experimenting with to allow ash out but keep small embers in...

You could do - but the carbon felt is extremely light compared to say steel mesh and packs away very easily. I am thinking of lining it with foil for durability but I don't think it'll get clogged up - just like any other firebowl - just tip it over when done to empty it. Also one of the main points is to stop hot ash dropping on the floor.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
That is a nice solution. It's got the tinkering part of my brain ticking over, thinking of adjustable suspension techniques for supporting the fire and a billy. I assume that weight is an issue for you?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That is a nice solution. It's got the tinkering part of my brain ticking over, thinking of adjustable suspension techniques for supporting the fire and a billy. I assume that weight is an issue for you?

Weight and packability. Was thinking of a sprung steel tripod that is held together at the base - more like a dome than a tripod. All sorts of ideas - just need to test some. The end product needs to be light, durable, packable, leave no fire scar and able to hold a decent size billy full of water.

Need some bicycle spokes to test with.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
IMO I think your not far off with your original thought with the long stick one piece of thin stainless wire coming down which then attaches to the 3 or 4 smaller wires which go to the corners that way the stick 'could' Be substituted for a walking pole maybe?

Sent from somewhere?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
IMO I think your not far off with your original thought with the long stick one piece of thin stainless wire coming down which then attaches to the 3 or 4 smaller wires which go to the corners that way the stick 'could' Be substituted for a walking pole maybe?

Sent from somewhere?

I already have some titanium chain on the way from aliexpress (£8) - so I do also intent to pursue the hanging model too. I like the idea of a walking pole- just need a solid method of fixing it in the ground.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Maybe a smaller stick thing to act as a brace that way it may well take the weight of a reasonable size billy as well.
Or if the 4 smaller wires were of a certain length then the billy could be suspended from that point above the fire?

Sent from somewhere?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Maybe a smaller stick thing to act as a brace that way it may well take the weight of a reasonable size billy as well.
Or if the 4 smaller wires were of a certain length then the billy could be suspended from that point above the fire?

Sent from somewhere?

Had planned to suspend the billy from the same center chain (just have a longer middle chain if that makes sense). The pegs you get with an IPK kit are hollow tubes of aluminium - they may hold a suitable size rod.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
But if you think of a crane chain set up then you have a single wire down to a circle with the 4 smaller wires coming of that main circle the billy then just hooks to the circle.
Interesting project I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Also where do you get carbon felt and what's it used for apart from suspending fires?

Sent from somewhere?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But if you think of a crane chain set up then you have a single wire down to a circle with the 4 smaller wires coming of that main circle the billy then just hooks to the circle.
Interesting project I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Also where do you get carbon felt and what's it used for apart from suspending fires?

Sent from somewhere?

AFAIK no one else has used it for suspending fires :D

It's used for alcohol stoves as wicks, plumbers heat mats, insulation, purification, respirators and such.

I've found a dealer on Aliexpress who ships from China but it's hard to get hold of in this country. I got my original bit froma group buy on here but only had a small bit left for a test. Thanks to the generosity of this forum I now have a larger bit on it's way to make a more practical size suspended firepit.

Really hoping this pays off as it'll be a great way to "leave no trace" and "carry no weight" - I'm hoping gram for gram I'll be able to give people a much bigger fire than say a honey stove hive would give.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Good luck with it. It's different and thinking outside the box and all that but that's what make it interesting can't wait to see where it takes you.

Sent from somewhere?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a nice bit of original thinking that. I'm impressed, looking forward to seeing how it develops for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE