The Fashion Thing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
What's wrong with a leather hat in the rain? They're usually oiled, so they're waterproof. The brim provides shade, both for your eyes and the back of your neck. You can even use one as a water carrier at a push.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My clothes have gradually gotten greener and more `bushcrafty` because I found the army surplus store was the cheapest place to shop for fair quality. I think thats true of a lot of people.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Its a hobby , if you like it have it , works for me .

Go to a landrover show and see all the rooftop tents and full on exped preped motors most dont leave the UK , it dont matter its a hobby , enjoy ..

Twodogs

xylaria

you can fan a fire with a wide brimmed hat as well.

I don't care about fashion, I know so little about kit I wouldn't know what it cost wearer most of the time. I notice if it doesn't fit them though, and I do wonder if they are doing what quite a lot of women do which is try to wear something because it is "fashion" rather than if it fits. I wear cheap jeans and bring water proofs.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fair point about the oiling Dunc, they're just a bit too Les Hiddins IMHO

Each to their own though, that's what makes life interesting

I'd prefer to wear nothing when it's warm and wool when it's cold. If it's raining I personally wouldn't wear anything but there's always something like the Lowe Alpine mountain hat or Sealskinz hat if a wet head became bothersome.

I tried one of the Kakadus on once but I thought I looked a pratt in it so didn't bother buying it.The fact I was wearing my work suit and tie at the time didn't help I suppose.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've never understood the brimmed hat thing though ?

Surely that's a fashion item, a leather hat isn't that clever in the rain and a woollen one is surely warmer in the cold.
Wide brimmed hat, the greatest invention since glasses, especially if you wear glasses

Interesting observation... My kit is generally green possibly because I like photography and you can get closer to wildlife etc. :

I’m not sure about greens and brown for the sake of the wildlife, deer for example are colour blind when it comes to greens, reds and browns but see well into the ultra-violet, so for example if you wash your DPM combats in modern detergents with “brightening“ agents (ie most of the modern 40degree detergents )you will glow like a pair of big girls pants in the disco lights.
I wear what I can afford, but not jeans mainly because I wore them once in the rain (on my motorbike) Never made that mistake again.
Fashion for me is not relevant, if the stuff does the job, then it can be a brand name of a cheap as chips from the charity shop.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Wide brimmed hat, the greatest invention since glasses, especially if you wear glasses

Too right, I need to get me a wide brimmed hat. Few things more annoying than walking in the pouring rain trying to squint through glasses that are correcting your vision about as much as a fish tank lashed to your face!

I don't really consider a wide brimmed hat a fashion accessory, they're tried and tested and are used because they're very good at what they're meant for, and as demonstrated, more.

Pete

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>
But I what I DO mind is the suggestion that I must have certain labels or wear certain items. Or wear the flavour-of-the-month. To be honest, I've not encountered much of that. But if I did I couldn't imagine myself caring about or spending much time with people who did.

I think that it is equally as unfair to look down on people who DO have expensive gear as those who have cheap, basic gear. And i bet this is FAR more common! ("oh look at him over there, he thinks he's Ray Mears") <Snip

Two sides of the same coin but both based upon the idea that there is a fashion that you are either conforming to it or not.

I've not actually run into much of it but it seems to be the newbies that think you should conform and the oldies that think you should not.

Both of these arguments assume the fact that the subject has made a concious decision to go for the fashion rather than just ending up in it through a series of practical kit choices.

Hey, at least we're not as bad as all those fashion victims in the construction and off-shore industries, what with their hard-hats, their hi-vis vests, and their steel-toed boots, or those bright orange immersion suits all the off-shore guys wear. They all look exactly the same! ;) :D

That is a case that illustrates it nicely. Limited availability of necessary gear leads to a uniform look.

Interesting observation... My kit is generally green possibly because I like photography and you can get closer to wildlife etc. And also when photographing landscapes there's nothing worse than getting a throng of gaudy coloured ramblers in your shot that you have to photoshop out:D <Snip

I think like you that is the reason for my choice of colours, I tend towards much brighter colours when I'm in my living history kit interestingly enough.

Snip> if Wayland turned up in his viking age outfit that would also be "wrong" (even though it would be very practical, unless he wears the pansy eastern style puffy pants, of course ;-).

handfast.jpg

And what's wrong with baggies I might ask....:D

There was an article a while ago in Bulletin of Primtiive Technology regarding what people wear in those circles. Actually most of them -- when teaching at e.g. Rabbitstick -- is actually as out of character as someone in a suit and tie would be (e.g. wearing mid 1800's "trapper" clothes while doing paleolithic stuff from 3-5000 years ago). And the clothes give an expecation in the audience; someone wearing buckskin gives the impression of being a long time expert, while the person in more normal outdoors gear does not: regardless of the actual credentials of the people involved. And most of us want to "fit in" with those we percieve as "ideals", and thus tend to dress a bit the same, hoping more-or-less uncounciously that some of the "cred" will rub off on us. <Snip

I did a piece to camera for Tony Robinson's "Worst jobs in history" a few years ago and they wanted me in civvies because Tony was getting dressed up and the costume department had made the usual dogs dinner of it.

The odd thing is that although I had done loads of film work before, I felt like a fish out of water because I wasn't in kit. :dunno:

I've never understood the brimmed hat thing though ?

Surely that's a fashion item, a leather hat isn't that clever in the rain and a woollen one is surely warmer in the cold.

Brimmed hats are great in the rain, in fact it usually takes me a while to even realise it's raining because it's not hitting my face.

I hate hoods because they make my hearing, which isn't good at the best of times, even worse.

I should add that I wear my hat all the time when I'm out of the house unless I'm in living history kit of course and I've had it for about a quarter of a century so it's not just a "bushcraft" thing for me.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
To date through trial and error...

Feet...good wool/mix socks work
Boots...Lowa,Scarpa and Le Chameux fit me best

Trousers...Best fit for me are Craghopper kiwis having tried numerous others.
I prefer green/brown shades.

Undervests/leggings...Merino is comfy and works

Shirt...For warmth,Swanndri Skipper works for me
All rounder...R Mears woodsman/5.11 cotton shirts(like the pocket storage and
good for hols abroad)

Coat/jackets...Ventile does me,tougher than 'tex type garments.I sweat in either but
prefer cotton.

Hat....My Tilley is my favourite,again 'cos it works.In cold weather,then a watch cap suffices although I think a merino one like Rays will likely be comfier.

So too look at me I probably resemble a mini Ray,but i've worn the same colour and types of clothing since a boy when out.

I LIKE my clothing 'cos it's comfy and practible and I can wear it 24/7 if I like nowadays.
So I do,denims never fit properly etc...

I'd say the fashion thing was more all that 'realtree' type hunter gear,that lots of 'dog walkers' seem to wear. I'd have it myself but don't need it;)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd say the fashion thing was more all that 'realtree' type hunter gear,that lots of 'dog walkers' seem to wear. I'd have it myself but don't need it;)

Theres one more example of clothing designed to catch the human eye more than anything. It got me i must admit, i spent nearly £300 on Musto's stalker jacket and trousers. My most succesful hunting gear combo to date has to be the realtree trousers with a Brit army dpm jacket. Brown below green above, tree style. Animals see mostly in back and white the pattern makes no difference but the contrast does. Tree trunks don't move, leaves do. All brown is all the same shade of grey to a rabbit, so it looks sus when it moves, green above brown are two different shades that do move naturally together and bring less wariness from the animals.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
utility is all well and good but sometimes one has the urge to be really damn natty. occasionaly that conincides with fashion. :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Theres one more example of clothing designed to catch the human eye more than anything. It got me i must admit, i spent nearly £300 on Musto's stalker jacket and trousers. My most succesful hunting gear combo to date has to be the realtree trousers with a Brit army dpm jacket. Brown below green above, tree style. Animals see mostly in back and white the pattern makes no difference but the contrast does. Tree trunks don't move, leaves do. All brown is all the same shade of grey to a rabbit, so it looks sus when it moves, green above brown are two different shades that do move naturally together and bring less wariness from the animals.

Aye,
At one time it'd be either tweeds or army surplus that was available or sky blue or orange for hillwalkers.

I don't care what folks wear as long as it's practible for outdoor activities.
I hate seeing folks in the country or on the hill in ...well you know what type of clothing...
Colours..well that's up to them,but type...'Hi hypothermia,i'm HERE!':rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE