The Faithful Cat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I've posted these pictures other places thought I might here.

Does anybody else have cats that enjoy hiking with them?

Most of my kitties I have had over the years have enjoyed hiking with us(at home). Seems like they can hike for around 2 miles as long as it's not too hot. They always seem to enjoy observing humans and my one cat Big AKA Mr Prissy just purrs up a storm when you take him hiking.

Here is Big. He's long legged and can hike far without getting tired

Hike5.jpg

Here's Kitty Angel. She is short legged and a thick coat and has trouble with hills and hot weather.
Hike4.jpg

Here's KA checking out the tea we are making trying out one of Sgt Rocks Ion Stoves at a rock face up in our woods.
2006_1128Image0008-1.jpg

Here's both them taking a break with us.
Hike3-1.jpg

My wife taking a break with KA
2006_1128Image0005-1.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
When I was younger the family cat used to follow when I took the dog for a walk, not alongside but "pepperpotting" alongside. First few times was a bit offputting, kept seeing something dart from bush to bush out the corner of my eye after a while I got used to her. If she relised you had spotted her she just started to clean herself and look up as if to say what are you doing here!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Thats brilliant.

Do they hike with you from your home out to where you want to go, or do you take them up to the hills and then set out?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I had a cat called Alfie years ago that used to come long walks in the park regularly. He also played fetch with crisp bags that had been rolled up into a ball(hysterical indoors if you got silly with where you threw them-behind speakers, onto bookshelfs :rolleyes: ).

Best of all he had a passion for bags, and would climb into any open bag that was lying around.
One day I sat my motorbike tankbag in the middle of the floor, unzipped it and stepped back. He jumped in, turned round and popped his head out with a "where are off to?" expression. From then on he travelled with us a lot, including a couple of weekend camping trips and a few flat-out thrashes down to my folk's in Cumbria.

I never had to force him into the bag, he always climbed in on command. Never freaked out, tried to get out or fouled the bag. I always got the impression he enjoyed it all immensely. :)
Ah, Alfie the ton-up-tom. I miss him. Tried to train Dinx when she was young but she wasn't having any of it :rolleyes:.

Jackdaw

Both my cats come with me when I walk the dog on an evening. They cover around 3/4 mile with us. They often come along so far, then disappear only to return 5 minutes later as if they hadn't been away.

Great fun when I have the wife with me; the two of us, one dog and two cats walking round the block. Must look rather perculiar to some.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Dommyracer,

They come from the house. In fact if I'm hiking far I have to lock them up to make sure they don't come and slow me down.

Grooveski,

I used to have an old cat Cujo and she would fetch. She loved to chase rolled up balls of aluminum foil. I'd throw them. She'd run and catch them play with them, and then carry them back and drop them at my feet :lmao:

My wife had a cat, we have pictures but it was before the digital age and I have no scanner, he would turn over a large blown glass pitcher her mother had, this was like a 2' tall pitcher that came down to like a 7" opening. He would crawl thru the neck and sleep in the pitcher. Wildest thing.

The cat's like to follow us around. Brushing my teeth in the morning sometimes is hard.

ka1.jpg

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
hollowdweller said:
My wife had a cat, we have pictures but it was before the digital age and I have no scanner, he would turn over a large blown glass pitcher her mother had, this was like a 2' tall pitcher that came down to like a 7" opening. He would crawl thru the neck and sleep in the pitcher. Wildest thing.
I'd like to see a picture of that :D - if you have a digital camera, and no scanner, try putting the picture on a flat well lit surface and take a digital photo of it ;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
When I lived on a farm my Burmese cat would go hiking with me and the dog but she would only walk to a certain point and then turn back. It was as if there was an invisible perimeter that she didn't want to cross. This was true whatever direction I walked.

She also lived with me and my family in a tent for a few months. She'd wander around outside and come home to sleep with us in the tent. She had no problem with the tent moving, wherever the tent was that was home. She made a good sleeping bag warmer too. :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
My cat's agoraphobic :rolleyes: She'll go about 5m from the back door and that's about it. If I'm out in the garden she might come out and sit in the sun but she won't stay out on here own. She had a bit of a scare a couple of years ago, went missing for 14 days. She must have got locked in somewhere. Turned up thin as a rake and dehydrated, but otherwise unharmed (thank goodness).

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Excellent idea - if a survival situation presents itself a good source of protein and a nice warm hat - I am joking of course............or am I ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im going to get Kumo a cat harness when I have the money and take him for walks.

Trouble with cats is they lack the stamina of a dog, so you need to carry them at times

D

DavidW

My ten year old son had a little grey and white cat he named Blue which would follow us around the yard and on short hikes on the mountain behind the house just like a small dog. I had never had a cat quite like her.

Unfortunately Blue turned up one day looking quite ill. We took her to the vet and he said she had gotten into some poison , most likely antifreeze , and already had several ulsers in her mouth and throat and undoubtly many similar internally. So we had to have her put to sleep.

Another cat, not my own, is pictured in a book I am currently reading written by David Miller and titled "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" . On page 58 there is a picture of a hiker with the trail name of Hot Dawg who was hiking with his cat named Stubby Cat. Stubby Cat was reported to be a big hit at the lean-to shelters along the AT because he was a keen mouser and kept the mice at bay which infest the shelters looking to score some easy food. The often mentioned tip in tales of the AT is that the best way to keep the mice from chewing holes in your backpack was to always leave the zippered pockets open so the mice could explore and find there was no food inside with out damaging your pack. Perhaps bringing your cat would be a viable option too.

Here is a link to David Miller's web page: http://www.awolonthetrail.com/

There is a gallery page with about 37 rows of photos , having 5 or 6 pictures on each row. One of the pictures is of Hot Dawg and Stubby Cat. Who when not walking hitched a ride setting atop Hot Dawg's frame pack. A direct link to the picture can be seen at this link:
http://www.awolonthetrail.com/gallery/target60.html

The book btw is a very readable book written in a style which is easy to read and quite interesting.

best regards,

David

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have one cat that comes shooting with me.
Follows me into the fields behind the house and is quite happy to follow for a couple of fields.
Isn't bothered when i shoot but i do have to keep an eye on her because she's very fond of sitting beside the back stop on my zero range.

456_5635.jpg

Not keen on the shotgun but rimfire and airrifles don't bother her.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A Dog's Diary

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite!

8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite!

2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite!

3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary

Day 183 of my captivity.

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling
objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry
cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and
the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may
eat another house plant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet
while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the
top of the stairs.

In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I
once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. I must try
this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an
attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike
fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a
good little kitty cat I was. This is not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was
placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could
hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my
confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called
"allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe
snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to
return. He is obviously a half-wit.

The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He
speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move.
Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.
But I can wait.

It's only a matter of time........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE