The Experts Choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I joined this forum a few years back and I recall back then, the Woodlore knife was seen as one of the best, if not the best choices. Since then the choice seems to have widened, and the Woodlore has become harder (and more expensive) to acquire.

Often newcomers wish to make a safe choice by simply using what the experts do, but sometimes we forget 'Bushcraft' is not a new subject. So here's a roundup of what a few famous experts have used over the years.

bushknives009.jpg

First up - the Woodlore. Designed by Ray Mears, made by Alan Wood. Wilkinson Sword also made similar but not identical Woodlores at the sword factory at Acton.

bushknives011.jpg

Its very good, but quite heavy and the blade is thicker than many prefer. The Alan Wood models have a fuller handle. All are 01 steel. I don't use mine much - I canoe on saltwater, I prefer a lighter knife and truth be told, they are too expensive to risk losing. Can't fault the design though.

Second - the Marbles 'Expert'

bushknives012.jpg

This is the exact model advocated by Cal Rutstrum, a very famous outdoorsman of the 1920s to 1960s. These are old knives - essentially turn of the century designs with stacked leather handles. You see similar models by various American and Sheffield makers. Ellsworth Jaeger (Wildwood Wisdom) and Bill Mason (Song of the Paddle) advocated the same design. It has a fairly thin 5 inch blade of very good carbon steel. Easy to sharpen. The two shown here are of the same design, but the one with the phenolic butt is of wartime manufacture - aluminium was needed for the war effort.
Nowadays unfashionable, but light and still a good knife.

Third - the Mora

bushknives013.jpg

Choice of Mors Kochanski. The plastic handled versions may be more ergonomic but I like the 'number one' wooden handled model in his book. Made by Erikson or Frost, usually carbon steel, this one is laminated. Fantastic knives, do everything you need. Sheaths are plastic but practical.

Fourth- the Puuko - but I'm cheating a bit here:

bushknives014.jpg

Sigurd Olson was a deep thinking outdoorsman, roughly contemporary with Rutstrum. He's most famous for his books that focus on well, wilderness theology really. But he was accomplished outdoors and travelled thousands of wilderness miles.

He wrote: 'I own an old Finnish knife or puukko, the blade made from an old file, the handle and molded case of birch bark I have carried it for thousands of miles and it has never failed me. The well-tempered steel is hard enough to open a tin and still sharp enough to fillet a fish without needing retouching.....far more than a tool, that knife is to me a symbol of the spirit that went into the cabin, the canoes, and all things made by men...'

Puukkos have a stick tang and a birch handle so I am cheating here - this knife is really a cross between a traditional Finnish puukko and a modern woodlore type full tang knife. Like most mongrels it has 'hybrid vigour' and I like it a lot. It is of course the Enzo sold by Brisa in Finland in D2 steel with stabilised curly birch handles. A traditional puukko is also an excellent choice - if Sig Olsons never failed him, its unlikely yours will.

Bottom line - any of the above are good choices.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What's your fave Doc?

I've a real inclination to 3mm bushy or Scandinavian knifes at the mo'.

But of course I 'need' my 4 and 5mm bushies just in case.:rolleyes:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
fantastic post! and some fantastic books for me to stock up on there too.

i like this : far more than a tool, that knife is to me a symbol of the spirit that went into the cabin, the canoes, and all things made by men...'

very true

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Brilliant! Love that first pic, it looks like a bushcraft guru knife-off!:D

I really want an enzo now, they do someting to me!:cool:

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Excellant post Doc.

I have a few nice pieces, and I have said this before....
If the only knife I could have was a Mora then I'd be cool with that.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Very neat post. A great selection of texts and their supporting hardware.

Somehow I think Sigurd got it most right....and Mors newest Skookum, in my view, tops them all.

Of all the knives, I prefer the Mora. My choice - as cheap as it is - is the #510 Carbon Steel Mora

I was thinking last night that I ought to buy a dozen of them, and scatter them about the house, the car trunk, all my camping kit and - heck - put some in the shed.

Ah... nothing like a good carbon blade. I've tried the laminated blades - even created a customized handle for one - but have decided they are worthless. I can't use rely on one to cast sparks from a ferro rod or even a piece of flint.

Cheers,

Mungo

Doc-you never cease to amaze me. What a fantastic collection and well presented article.

How do you fancy doing a summary and comparison of the writers you wrote about?

Now that would open the door to many a new reader. And...theres a few more to add to the list too;)

Thanks for showing us your collection.

WS

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Good post Doc, it does look like you have been raiding by bookcase though, Sig Olson is probably my favourite outdoors writer, his style and writing skills just capture the moment and feeling.
A good site about the man and his writing
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/

I've been after an Marbles ' Expert' for a while now, still looking if anyone has one for sale.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for all the comments.

The knife I actually use most is still my Grohmann boat knife.

knoydart139.jpg

This is also the choice of the Canadian armed forces, but I don't have any books by them.:rolleyes: The boat knife is really a modification of the original Grohmann Russell knife, and that is also a very old design: Grohmann have been making them for 50 years, and I think Herter's made a similar type before that.

It's perhaps a bit of heresy to the knife aficionados, but I reckon it doesn't really matter too much which knife you choose so long as you avoid the cheap rubbish, double edged blades, huge Rambo blades, hollow handles and suchlike.

The Enzo is a very nice knife and you can polish the scales to a high gloss. It's not too heavy either as the tang is partly drilled out. The blade is slightly shorter than the others so it may be less good for batoning wood. I think some Finns regard batoning as no way to treat a good knife.

w00dsmoke - I have a pretty good wilderness library and some book reviews would be a great idea. In particular I like the classic wilderness living guides from the 1920s to 1960s. I think these older authors knew a thing or two.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's perhaps a bit of heresy to the knife aficionados, but I reckon it doesn't really matter too much which knife you choose so long as you avoid the cheap rubbish, double edged blades, huge Rambo blades, hollow handles and suchlike.

Makes sense to me... What I notice looking at that top pic is that there really isn't that much difference between them.

You clearly need a Nessmuk now!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
As others have already said, great post Doc!

I too have quite a nice selection of knives, including the Micarta Woodlore which is really my favourite. But as you say in your text they are becoming harder to get hold of & for that reason mine tends to get used in the back yard and the shed a lot, but seldom very far from home. For the woods it tends to be one of the various Moras or my trusty Helle Eggen.

Dave

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
It's good to see that the "experts" have different opinions about knives. It opens the door for us to try different options and make up our own minds. Great post! Thanks.

Todd

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great post cheers,

I use a shing woodlore type of knife which is scandi ground, 4mm and high carbon. Its a lovely knife but as others have mentioned its heavy and hard work, not to mention keeping that scandi grind in shape :banghead: I have found that with a hatchet and a small opinel for carving and food prep i just dont use it as much :(
I think its time to try an enzo in D2 cheers for the info ;)

PS i guess the D2 enzo has a secondary bevel or micro bevel ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE