The ever elusive land conundrum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Would anyone be able to help out I wonder.. but would be interested in a small plot of woodland/farmland/anything really that I can set up a camp area in and take the kids.
The farm I have been on has passed ownership recently, and now at a loss of where to go.

I know times are hard, so happy to pay for rent or whatever would help the other party out, and have an abundance of free time now to start a new chapter and fresh projects.

Anyone on here near me with a plot? Or know where I would start? Have looked online but currently everyone wants a woodland, so prices are a little high for what I would like (1-2 acres would be ample).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It might help if you suggested a location.
Where are you based?

There are several BCUK local groups that meet up.
Also there are Bushcraft Clubs that have access to woodland.

you might find the Small Woodland Owners Group helpful.

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I'm in South wales (sorry thought it was on my avatar thing?) There's plenty for me to go woodland wise, but its all wild and fine for just me, but not so much the family.

I'll take a look at the small woodland owners though thank you

Have checked the South wales section but it doesn't seem to be too active currently

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’ve noticed a few UK expats and one French bushrafters on YouTube in Scandinavia.
I know it’s not a solution. Perhaps a discussion on bushcraft oriented holidays there; laws, logistics, fees
May offer at least a option?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I’ve noticed a few UK expats and one French bushrafters on YouTube in Scandinavia.
I know it’s not a solution. Perhaps a discussion on bushcraft oriented holidays there; laws, logistics, fees
May offer at least a option?

As a move yes it's very appealing.

However as much free time as I do have, I dont think back and forth Scandinavia would be logistical for me.

A bit more local to the south wales area would be ideal, if I could go back and forth every few days or be within driving distance I would probably be there more regular.

My own land would be perfect I know, but until something comes along that is within my budget, I'm happy to rent or lease a plot.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have you not tried approaching the new owners to see if you can continue using the bit of land you'd previously used.

Failing that try speaking to the neighbhouring farmers as they probably know of you from the previous owners.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have you not tried approaching the new owners to see if you can continue using the bit of land you'd previously used.

Failing that try speaking to the neighbhouring farmers as they probably know of you from the previous owners.

Unfortunately the new owners have other plans (I get the vibe it's going to be a holding yard of sorts) with some storage containers/vehicle dismantling. I think its only going to attract some attention to the area for theft/break ins.

The livestock are being moved onto new owners, and the buildings they were using are also being taken away. It's quite disappointing.

There's no adjoining farmland, just woodland that is believed to be council/nature reserve Wales, and then some allotments which none are available sadly.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Unfortunately the new owners have other plans (I get the vibe it's going to be a holding yard of sorts) with some storage containers/vehicle dismantling. I think its only going to attract some attention to the area for theft/break ins.

The livestock are being moved onto new owners, and the buildings they were using are also being taken away. It's quite disappointing.

There's no adjoining farmland, just woodland that is believed to be council/nature reserve Wales, and then some allotments which none are available sadly.
OMG! This sounds horrible, just the sort of thing that goes down-hill rapidly......Vehicle dismantling....Say no more. Sorry to be so vehicle dismantling racist but from experience this is the last thing you need on a farm or in the country-side, particularly on-the-cheap as the environmental ethos just isn't followed or even considered. Short term-ism at its worst.
S

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I was recently invited to a small bushcraft meet with a group called Back to Basics (B2B) They have access to a small woodland west of Carmarthen. I think they’re one of those groups that operate mainly on Facebook

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
OMG! This sounds horrible, just the sort of thing that goes down-hill rapidly......Vehicle dismantling....Say no more. Sorry to be so vehicle dismantling racist but from experience this is the last thing you need on a farm or in the country-side, particularly on-the-cheap as the environmental ethos just isn't followed or even considered. Short term-ism at its worst.
S
Yeah its a pretty depressing thought, Tuesday is my last day there to clear out what I have from there. Her in doors insnt best pleased with the clutter that's already building up at home, so I have been looking at local storage facilities to keep most of it, which I'm also not too fond of.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I was recently invited to a small bushcraft meet with a group called Back to Basics (B2B) They have access to a small woodland west of Carmarthen. I think they’re one of those groups that operate mainly on Facebook
I may need to bite the bullet and setup a Facebook just to look for land/permissions.
I have kept away from social media, with only recently getting Instagram to use like Pinterest, ideas for buildings and such.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I may need to bite the bullet and setup a Facebook just to look for land/permissions.
I have kept away from social media, with only recently getting Instagram to use like Pinterest, ideas for buildings and such.
Do you ever get up to mid Wales? That is where I am. There is a Spring/Summer meet at my place organised by another forum.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I had the use of my fathers old sawmill site for a number of years which was fun.
A few moots were run but the landowners monetary needs were greater than mine so the plot was developed into executive houses and is no more.
I now live in East Anglia and own an ex barley field which I have planted with trees and hedges over the last fifteen years.
There may be an opportunity to hold a small event at some point in the future.
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE