The End of Internet Knife Sales. Law change could target one-hand opening folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very good post in this debate but nobody has mentioned it, or commented.
Sometimes good ideas can be imported from outside the UK.......

I completely agree with this guy.
who the hell needs a 50.cal rifle? I would totally support banning them... Come to think of it, why should anyone need a gun? Isn't bushcraft about harmony with nature... Not blowing the crap out of innocent creatures!
We should all collectively back a ban on stupid non practical knives and fire arms.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Copy of an email received from my MP.

"Thank you for contacting me about knife crime. I am very concerned about this form of violent crime and dealt with the gangs in Birmingham when I filmed the documentary, Tower Block of Commons.

I welcome the announcement that the Government has made on its intention to consult on new offences to toughen up knife crime laws; including restricting the online sale of knives and banning possession of dangerous or offensive weapons on private property. Knife crime has devastating consequences, and I am determined to tackle this and do everything possible to break the deadly cycle and protect our children, families and communities.

The proposals include tightening the law in order to stop under-18s being able to purchase knives. The proposed measures would mean anyone who bought a knife online would be required to collect it in person, at a place where the age of purchaser can be checked in person. It is already an offence to sell knives to under 18 year olds, but the new offences would mean knives could no longer be delivered to private property, making it harder for underage sales to go undetected. Also being considered is whether the offence of possessing a knife in a public place and school premises should be extended to also include the grounds of other educational establishments, such higher education institutions. I understand you have concerns about some of the proposed measures, but I would encourage you to take part in the consultation to make sure your opinions are heard.

I believe that the actions set out will help keep people safe and give police the powers they need to crack down on offenders. Prevention is also key and we must educate our young people and give them the strength they need to turn away from knives. A new anti-knife crime campaign will be launched as well as a new £500,000 fund for community projects tackling the issue. There are also plans to expand the capacity of youth violence intervention projects based in hospital emergency departments to reach and try to divert at risk young people.

The Government is also working with the police on Operation Sceptre. The operation includes targeting habitual knife carriers, weapon sweeps, test purchases of knives from identified retailers, and the use of surrender bins. 32 forces took part in the latest Operation Sceptre in July and further weeks of action are planned for later in the year - over a thousand weapons have been taken off the street as a result.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Tim Loughton MP
Member of Parliament for East Worthing & Shoreham2

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
as I said pages back the only way you'll get your say is answer the consultation

individual MP's minds are never changed

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
individual MP's minds are never changed

Actually, they often are. MP's tend to be impacted by personal letters - as little as 30-50 can seem like a wave to an individual MP's postbag, especially within a short time. Be polite, dont just print out a form letter (because they just look like you've forwarded an email...), and have a point.

'Consultations' stretch from a real attempt to get an rounded view of something to box ticking farces - if the decison has already been made, your going through the motions. So yes, give an answer to it, but contacting an MP is no bad thing.

However, most MP's realise that the 'knife' lobby is pretty small - and most voters dont like knives much, so the best that can be done is to point out that the legislation should be fair, workable, balanced and well thought out. As it should be anyway.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Copy of an email received from my MP.

"Thank you for contacting me about knife crime. I am very concerned about this form of violent crime and dealt with the gangs in Birmingham when I filmed the documentary, Tower Block of Commons.

I welcome the announcement that the Government has made on its intention to consult on new offences to toughen up knife crime laws;.... [/B]
So no real response with justification. Just copy/paste from a press release?

At least you go a reply. My email to Stephen Kinnock hasn't warrented a reply. I really feel like my voice has been heard (not).

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
So no real response with justification. Just copy/paste from a press release?

At least you go a reply. My email to Stephen Kinnock hasn't warrented a reply. I really feel like my voice has been heard (not).

You're quite right in as much as i suppose at least he replied, although ive half a mind to challenge him as to why he didn't answer any question or point i raised.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I'm late-in to this thread which now looks like it will take as much time to read as the draft doc, so at the risk of repeating questions that someone else may have already asked -

1). Do we have (like the Aussies) a minister for Sport and Recreation -?

2). Have any of the celebrities who make a living from our pass time pitched into the debate/been approached/offered to represent us?

3). Is there any collusion between BCUK and traders with a vested interest in the subject so that both the end-user/practitioner and the business interests can be collectively represented? You might even include other types of user - trade/industry/rescue etc.

Maybe there is still time to organise a formal presentation of our collective views to 1). above (or what I suspect will be a committee)

and 2). & 3). above could play leading and/or support roles to BCUK representatives at a presentation?

We can't all walk down Whitehall with a Mora above our heads (and they know that!) but that doesn't mean to say that a large show of (BCUK) physical presence couldn't take place at/outside the aforementioned meeting venue.

Writing to an MP is all well and good (if you really believe that the pen (or the keyboard!) is mightier than the Svord) but you can't beat looking them in the eyes, stating your case and asking those questions face to face.

I believe that this situation requires a stronger, collective approach as opposed to just letters to MPs.

Otherwise the government will do what the British government has done best for centuries - divide and rule!

Just a thought.:)

Nov 13, 2017
Somerset
Its a ludicrous law, it will do nothing to prevent people who want to carry a knife as a weapon from doing so, they can simply buy one online from another country. All it will do is damage the business of British retailers and craftsmen. I only have one knife that can be opened one handed and that is on a multi tool, but is a lock blade, so i shouldn't carry in anyway. But if I fished, I could easily see that that sort of knife would be an advantage.
I am considering disabling the lock mechanism and removing the little knob on the blade. I always have a small knife in my bag, even if it is a tiny double bladed fruit knife, it is a handy tool to carry.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The Criminal Justice Act 1988 refers to the illegality of pointed objects in public places.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

So, lock up your pencils and pens.
I did initially say that the road to go down was to play the Government at their ownstupid game, that is to ask them to ban all sharp objects, Knitting needles, pencils, pens, scissors,breadknives, nail files etc etc, they may see how stupid this law is, Imagine if writing to your MP, you congratulated him on his concern and pointing out that, banning knives will not solve the problem, as the Idiots will simply use something else, like sharpened wood, bike spokes etc, and ensure him he/she will have your backing if these sharp dangerous implements are banned too.
But on second thoughts, you are dealing with people who dont live in the real world.

erehwon

Oct 24, 2017
Bulgaria
At the risk of upsetting people from the UK on here, I am afraid to say that the general populace has been silent on many matters of concern for too long, having spent many long periods away from the UK I was always shocked on my return to see the changes in the country and to often be told by the people I was with that I should not say certain things or air my views on sensitive subjects as I may "cause offence" to someone who may happened to overhear what I had said! Crazy situation!

The various firearm laws brought in to restrict their supply and use has not prevented people from having access to and using illegal firearms (regardless of what politicians say!) and tighter controls regarding the supply of knives will still not prevent people from accessing, carrying and using them as they wish. Most people can make a blade or shiv if they want to, at least with a legal sale there is a trail that could help if a crime is committed.

I watch with interest (from a distance) to see the outcome of all this.

As I said earlier no offence to anyone intended.

Reactions: FoxyRick
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I did initially say that the road to go down was to play the Government at their ownstupid game, that is to ask them to ban all sharp objects, Knitting needles, pencils, pens, scissors,breadknives, nail files etc etc, they may see how stupid this law is, Imagine if writing to your MP, you congratulated him on his concern and pointing out that, banning knives will not solve the problem, as the Idiots will simply use something else, like sharpened wood, bike spokes etc, and ensure him he/she will have your backing if these sharp dangerous implements are banned too.
But on second thoughts, you are dealing with people who dont live in the real world.
But the magistrate uses a pencil so that's a good reason, and has knitting needles in the family, where as the magistrate doesn't use a chisel, nor the MP nor policeman, so they are not allowed. Idiots will use kitchen knives as they always have done.

Staying clear of policical partisanship, it makes good headlines, and more specifically makes them look and appear as though they are effective and active. Vanity though, and everyone else to have a pain in the asre to fund it!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Please help me understand something guys!?

I have an order from gearbest which has knives in it. I ordered about 2 weeks ago and should it take until December to get to me, will there be an issue if this new law change does indeed take effect?? Does this proposed law change also include international purchases or just within the UK?

And is there any news what so ever on this whole thing? Do we know any more now than we did when this thread began? Because I'm just reading personal opinions here, not news.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk

I have an order from gearbest which has knives in it. I ordered about 2 weeks ago and should it take until December to get to me, will there be an issue if this new law change does indeed take effect?? Does this proposed law change also include international purchases or just within the UK?

And is there any news what so ever on this whole thing? Do we know any more now than we did when this thread began? Because I'm just reading personal opinions here, not news.

Thanks for any help.

At the moment it’s all speculation the government has put out the possibility of changing the law. At some point specific legislation will be tabled and we will know how this will effect us. So for the time being it’s business as usual.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Thanks for any help.

Even if any change in the law were to cover imported tools, i dont think it will make a blind bit of difference when the Chinese sellers describe things like this

This one was a knife

20170830_103112 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

This one was a diamond plate, i have no idea what a turbo snake is

turbo snake by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Reactions: Fadcode
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE