The Emberlit Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My stove arrived this morning. Very interesting fitting it together a few times while I was waiting for the wife at the beauty salon. She tells me I should spend less time there but I tell her it's very necessary. :)

The pieces seem to go together better if I start with the right hand plate and work anti-clockwise (looking down on it) than if I do it the other way around. In fact when I put the right hand edge of the front plate on first, the left hand edge won't seem to fasten up no matter what I do. Doing it the other way it's easy. Weird. This of course assumes that the finished assembly has the trade name visible on the outside of the stove. It is also possible to assemble it inside out, which I imagine will make no difference at all to the performance.

Fired it up easily in pretty windy conditions using a tiny amount of paper and small ash twigs which I've had drying for months in the open part of the shed. Really nice the way that some of the longer bits of wood fall into the cutouts at the top of the stove and don't then get in the way of whatever you rest on top. Used one of my favourite cook pots (a jug style thing of about 2 litres capacity with a thick base about 6" diameter) to cook this evening's meal. The plates seem to cope well with the heat although they do move about a bit. Once running well, if there's no pot on top of it the stove produces a really great flame about two feet high with very little smoke, but sit a pot on top of it and straight away it's a very different story. To stop the smoking I had to hold the pot a few inches above the stove with my hand quite often, and I've now lost a lot of the fur off the backs of my hands (again). Unless I can improve my technique quite a lot I think a pot hanger or some other pot support might be necessary most of the time. Occasionally if I put the pot down on the stove the flames would go out completely, and I felt the need of a blow poker a few times while trying to get the smoke alight again as it was more reluctant than I expected. When I came in with the food the wife said I smelled "manly". Then she corrected that to "cave-manly". She has a way with that kind of put-down but I'm used to it after 26 years. Anyway simmering my patent "rice with bits in" for quarter of an hour on the embers was a real joy and it was a great meal even if I do say so myself.

I reckon this little stove will easily push out five kilowatts. It's well on top of any cooking/heating you'd be likely to want to do on a camping trip for three or four people, but I think (as to be fair it says in the instructions) it will take a bit of getting used to.

Though I've used only my bare hands I haven't managed to cut myself with it yet but it's easy to see how you could do that with a moment's inattention. To smooth the edges I think I'll use an India file rather than emery. Leather gloves would be a wise precaution, and I'll always want to use them anyway when the thing's hot and covered in soot. I carry a pair in the little duffel bag which came with my Ghillie, and a few pairs of disposable polythene ones too, so that's not an issue.

Thanks again Nice65 and FGYT for your efforts on the GB. Looking forward to people doing comparisons with things like the honey, Aldi drainer and bushwotsits, and to any and all help with getting the Emberlit to provide smoke-free cooking without carrying extra hardware.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's great - I had four split pine chunks about 18 inches long. Just kept feeding them - superb and about 25 minutes burn time on them.

My best results so far have been with longer pieces of split pine. There's very little smoke and plenty of heat. Hedgerow bits like ash and hazel burn slower and a bit more smoky.

Anyway, glad you're all having fun. :)

N

nwmanitou

Hi everyone..

Thanks for the GB on the stoves. I do hope they work well for you. If there are any problems with your stove, contact me and I'll make it right. I'm trying to figure out a way to polish the edges up a little to mitigate the risk of cuts. The stainless for some reason came out of the cutter much sharper than the mild steel prototypes. It is interesting to see how the stoves perform in different areas of the world with different fuel. I'm at 4600 feet above sea level. A bit higher and drier than the UK.

Ged,

without actually seeing you run the stove it is difficult to diagnose the smoke issue. But as a general rule, I like to wait until the starter fuel has burned down, not quite out, but nearly to coals. I try to use fuel about the diameter of my thumb. Smaller wood seems to smoke, larger goes out easily. It's a bit of a balance that you'll have to find for your area.

In any case, I am eager to hear feedback on how I may improve the stove. Thank you all again for taking a chance on my little stove, for which I am extremely grateful.

N

nwmanitou

meant to say I like to wait until the starter fuel has burned down, not quite out, but nearly to coals, before adding in the main fuel wood.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Hi everyone..

Welcome to BCUK!

Thanks for the GB on the stoves. I do hope they work well for you. If there are any problems with your stove, contact me and I'll make it right.

Can't say fairer than that. :)

I'm trying to figure out a way to polish the edges up a little to mitigate the risk of cuts. The stainless for some reason came out of the cutter much sharper than the mild steel prototypes.

Yep. I always say that stainless (at least the austenitic grades) is more like chewing gum than iron. :( Same problems when you cut it with a guillotine or even a disc. I guess this is 304?

It is interesting to see how the stoves perform in different areas of the world with different fuel. I'm at 4600 feet above sea level. A bit higher and drier than the UK.

Er, a lot higher, on average. A couple of hundred feet higher than the highest peak in the UK in fact. And it's hasn't been the driest summer we've ever had here. :(

Ged,

without actually seeing you run the stove it is difficult to diagnose the smoke issue. But as a general rule, I like to wait until the starter fuel has burned down, not quite out, but nearly to coals. I try to use fuel about the diameter of my thumb. Smaller wood seems to smoke, larger goes out easily. It's a bit of a balance that you'll have to find for your area.

Thanks very much for the tips. Then the wood that I was using was definitely too small. Even though it's been sitting under cover soaking up the sun (the sun never gets very high at 53 degrees north) it's still probably pretty damp compared to what you'd find in Utah. You clearly stated that it will take time to get used to the stove, and I have no problem with that. It took me a little while to get used to the Ghillie kettle too. I'll be giving your stove a good thrashing this weekend, so stay tuned. :)

In any case, I am eager to hear feedback on how I may improve the stove. Thank you all again for taking a chance on my little stove, for which I am extremely grateful.

Great to hear such a positive attitude from a manufacturer. :)

I've thought of drilling a small hole in each side plate, in the middle near the top. That way a tent peg or a piece of stiff wire could easily be used to lift it while it's hot. A couple of them could serve as a pot rest for a pot which would otherwise be too small to sit securely on the stove. And three in a row could make a rack to rest a slice of bread for toast over the glowing embers. I definitely wouldn't want to perforate the base, nor enlarge the feed hole -- unless I was burning lumps of coal! :campfire: :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Is there any news on the Ti version, and possible price?

Been looking at this stove for a while. Looks a good bit of kit.

I never thought I'd say it, but titanium could make a lot of sense for this kind of thing. When you handle it, especially packed flat, it does seem to be quite a weight. So I weighed it. 320g. Eleven and a quarter ounces. I think it's the density that makes it seem heavy when it's packed flat. I weighed what I think of as my lightweight multifuel stove, the Optimus Nova. A full tank on the Nova is about 600ml which would probably cook for me for a week, a couple of days if I brew hot drinks all day long which I usually do. With a full tank the Nova weighs 960g, exactly three times as much as the Emberlit! And at 320g the Emberlit can cook and brew as much as I want, indefinitely. :)

At this point people will probably be saying things like "why not just make an open fire?" Well there are many places that isn't allowed, especially in the USA. And for most cooking (well at least the sort I do, with a small pan or billy and usually lots of cans) an open fire is much, much less efficient.

N

nwmanitou

Thank you for the welcome Ged,

You guys are correct. It is 304 stainless. I have it laser cut locally. And yes, there is a titanium version in the works. I tried to shrink the dimensions of the stove for the Ti (16A4V) version however the small changes in size ruined the stove's efficiency. I've resigned myself to make the Ti stove the same dimensions as the SS stove. I am currently waiting on a TI prototype to test under heat. I know it is strong. I placed a 50lb dumbbell One the smaller TI prototype and it held without complaint. Now I intend to see if it'll retain that strength while on fire. If all goes well I'll be opening up the presale for the TI in a week or so. I intend to keep the price between $50 and $60 USD. Ti is remarkably expensive. I'm also working on a small cross bar that will allow for smaller pots on the emberlit. This has certainly been a fun ride so far. I'm not a materials engineer, as my friends put it, I'm just a monkey with screwdriver. Thanks again ever so much for the support.

well i had the oven on for another Kydex job so couldn't stop myself

its not perfect but with a tweek here and there and a plug to mold to (as apossed to 5 thin slippery bits of stainless)

2 kydex rivets at the bottom and then laced wit ha bit of Shock cord withe a loc end

Front ( had to twist it as i didnt get it quite tight enough and really needs a bit thicker cord )
EMB3.jpg

Back is a flat piece of Kydex

EMB4.jpg

EMB1.jpg

tried Paracord lacing first which works fine

EMB2.jpg

NO IM NOT MAKING ANY :swordfigh

Thank you for the welcome Ged,

You guys are correct. It is 304 stainless. I have it laser cut locally. And yes, there is a titanium version in the works. I tried to shrink the dimensions of the stove for the Ti (16A4V) version however the small changes in size ruined the stove's efficiency. I've resigned myself to make the Ti stove the same dimensions as the SS stove. I am currently waiting on a TI prototype to test under heat. I know it is strong. I placed a 50lb dumbbell One the smaller TI prototype and it held without complaint. Now I intend to see if it'll retain that strength while on fire. If all goes well I'll be opening up the presale for the TI in a week or so. I intend to keep the price between $50 and $60 USD. Ti is remarkably expensive. I'm also working on a small cross bar that will allow for smaller pots on the emberlit. This has certainly been a fun ride so far. I'm not a materials engineer, as my friends put it, I'm just a monkey with screwdriver. Thanks again ever so much for the support.

does the Ti lazer any sence (not good at heat transfer) its usually water jet cut which is a lot more expensive maybe al right in thin shim sheet

ATB

Duncan

N

nwmanitou

that is a great looking bit of kydex there FGYT!

Novohol_Turrets... Well, I don't know for sure until I have the prototype, but I estimate it'll be just under 6oz.

Actually the difficulty with the Ti on the laser cutter is that it is so light. The nitrogen jet they use to cool the Ti as it is cut can blow the loose pieces off the cutting table.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Nicely made Dunc. The the hole in the top of my thumb heals I shall crack on with some little leather pouches. I'm going to knock up some in nylon to see how they fare with the edges.

I am really pleased with this stove, just trying it with a trangia burner in it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... I'll be giving your stove a good thrashing this weekend, so stay tuned. ...

Well with the remains of Katia heading our way the weekend was pretty wet, and since I was camping in Derbyshire woodland so was the wood, but I managed to do a bit of cooking on the Emberlit and learn a bit more about managing it. Taking the maker's advice I used larger pieces of wood, and even though the wood was damp there was a definite improvement. Not surprisingly with damp wood, to begin with there was still more smoke than I was hoping for, so I decided to try a different approach. Once the fire was going I filled the stove as full as I could with pieces 1/2" to 1" diameter and let it burn to charcoal. Then I cooked on that. Very little smoke, and a lovely steady heat for cooking like cooking on a barbecue. No need to keep feeding it The bonus is that you can get the whole stove so hot that pretty much all the soot burns off. The only noticeable tar deposits remaining were at the very bottom, where tar runs down the sides but it doesn't get quite hot enough to burn it off. It's no problem but I'm thinking of ways to try next time to get that to burn off too. I'm hoping to get a night or two out later this week so I might be able to post an update on that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE