The Emberlit Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Arrived this morning thanks Duncan, and thanks to Ged for sorting me out on the GB on BB :)

Nice and shiney still but a swine to put together.

Anyone else think they need some holes drilling in that base plate ?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

I'm not even going to try. Stainless is a swine to get through every time I try.

Would it prevent little bits of glowing embers dropping through to leave it without.

I hope posty brings mine this morning, though he doesn't normally get here until Midday.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not even going to try. Stainless is a swine to get through every time I try.

Would it prevent little bits of glowing embers dropping through to leave it without.

I hope posty brings mine this morning, though he doesn't normally get here until Midday.

I'm going to mark it up and ask Carol to do it on the pillar drill at college when the sprogs have gone home one afternoon.

Good point about the embers dropping through, I'll add a square of ally flashing underneath I think. It worked well enough with the Honey.

Good luck with mr posty :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Arrived this morning thanks Duncan, and thanks to Ged for sorting me out on the GB on BB :)

Haven't got mine yet. :(

Nice and shiney still but a swine to put together.

I expect we'll get the hang of it. :confused:

With stainless it's important to have some coolant on the work, especially if you drill by hand. Stainless is a very poor conductor of heat compared to things like mild steels. The heat generated if the drill skips instead of cutting (as it often does when you drill by hand) raises the temperature of the cutting tool very much more than it does when you drill something like a mild steel.

If you don't have coolant then you absolutely must keep the drill cutting all the time, which means ensuring a steady feed rate. Especially difficult on thin stainless.

If you put the right size hole in the middle you can fit a Trangia Gas insert ;)

but yes stainless and espesially thin stainless can be a problem to drill

if you do make sure its clamped properly as it will grip and pull it up the bit as it goes thro giving a spinnning disc of stainless that will do a lot of damage to the hand you thought was enough to hold it

easiest way i find is to use a battery drill and place it on a bit of wood stand on the metal use slow speed and high pressure with both hands one the drill you can vary speed and pressure to get thru But with metal this thin you will probably deform the sheet

also remember it was designed to run with out holes in the plate tho might struggle with UK damp wood

ATB

Duncan

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
We did supernoodles for the kids on it for lunch.

I was a little reticent at first, thought it a little slower than the Bushbuddy but then fiddled with the wedging as many sticks into the front as I could. It meant that there was a constant heat and I didn't have that minute or two each time you need to refill the bushbuddy as the wood uses energy to combust, especially if you have three or four sticks going in at different rates so at least three are kicking out heat. Once it was going I managed a litre of water very quickly.

I will certainly be taking this out with me, I can't afford a Ti one although I would love one. This is a great stove and it works so well for me I won't be drilling any holes in it. I will try to use a trangia burner in it to see what happens though.

Great bit of kit that is going to get a ton of use by me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Done one plate so far with the wet and dry, it's eating up my 400 grit so I've switched to 600 which is working better.

Concentrated on the tabs too for a while and it slots together a bit easier now.

Got some dry sticks together so I'm gonna test burn it later for a cocoa before bed :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A cracking little stove I must say, seems quite happy to chug along on some longer pieces fed from the front. Gonna take it out tomorrow for a hike and see how it does for lunch and brew stops.

DSC03225P-1.jpg

DSC03227P-1.jpg

DSC03226P-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE