The Emberlit Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
I was intrigued by this stove which has just been launched at http://www.emberlit.com and decided to order one. I have a Spenton woodgas stove from http://www.woodgasstove.co.uk/ so I was interested to see how this batteryless wood stove stacked up.

The video on the emberlit site tells you pretty much what you need to know. I guess the obvious comparison is with the honey stove but what I liked about the emberlit idea was that it looked like a simpler, more efficient product. I don't own a honey stove so I can't make a direct comparison with that product.

The total price was exactly fifty bucks including shipping which works out at £30.52. What you get for your money are five stainless steel cut plates which slot together to form the stove. The weight is 11.3 oz which is great but the flat pack design is obviously a really nice feature. The stove slots together nice and quickly and is very solid. The finish is OK-ish...some sharp edges here and there so you do have to be careful assembling the product. I may take a file to it later to round off some of the edges. It was very easy to get a small fire going really quickly in the stove. Of course you get some wind protection due to the design. I believe the slight conical design of the Emberlit aids that process as well and helps the fire burn efficiently with little smoke. The USP of the stove is the feed port on the front where you can pack some larger sticks into the fire once you've got it going and nudge them in. I've let my Spenton woodgas stove go out before when I wasn't paying attention (you can't really see the fire with a pot on that stove) so the front feed port on the Emberlit is a god thing.

My first fire quickly burned nice and hot and I was able to get a half filled Crusader mug to the boil in a few minutes. The stove isn't great with small pots but there are a couple of workarounds. I turned the Crusader at a bit of an angle but I understand some other users have bent the tops over slightly or used a small piece of wire mesh or a couple of tent pegs across the top. It wasn't a deal breaker for me but if you use tiny pots you might want to take this into consideration.

I'm pleased with the product - it's lightweight, simple and packs flat and only needs a small handful of twigs for a brew and with a couple of bigger sticks quite capable of cooking a meal.

The obligatory pictures:

The newly arrived stove in bits
001.jpg

Snaps into shape nice and quickly
002.jpg

Lights up fast
003.jpg

Some sticks I had lying around inserted into the feed port and into the fire
004.jpg

Sticks fed into the stove - water bubbling away
005.jpg

A slight balancing act with this cup - bigger pots are no problem of course.
006.jpg

The wood burns away to ash, nice and contained. Although the stove gets hot of course no scorch marks on this wooden table.
007.jpg

HTH

Simon.

Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
Nope, don't have a honey stove but I felt this one was a lot simpler. I think the honey is good with solid fuel, meths burners etc. as well as wood but I haven't tested the Emberlit with alternative fuel sources yet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have the honey stove and its good enough. I tend to use it as a four sided version as less weight to carry and it is a nice and small unit which is good for my alpkit mytimug and vargo ti-lite pot. I also tend to use it with a trangia burner (should qualify that by saying its a civvie trajngia burner clone i suppose if there's amny stovie reading).

I have heard the vargo woodburning stove like this (got the same looking top to it with the crenellations) has a poor airflow through the stove and some have had poor results when on wood burning. This one looks like it has good ariflow and this should not be a problem.

I guess it all goes down to preference with these things. Although it does look a good stove.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've just been pointed in the direction of these by a post over 'at the other place', so I decided to place an order.

Must say it looks to be an excellent design, I'm really looking forward to it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was disappointed with the battery powered stove as it seemed a bit fiddly having to plug/unplug the battery pack for different speeds (why they couldn't have the switch on the battery pack, I don't know). Thinking I could possibly use my wind up mp3 player I bought from here as a power source - it's designed to be able to charge a mobile phone and all that winding would help warm you up too!

This is the best looking of the woodburning stoves I've seen so far

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have been looking at one of these for a day or two. Thanks for the review. I have just ordered one.
Alan

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Where do I put my name for this GB......

I need to get some £ figures and numbers sorted Dave.

The way I'll need to run it is with a link here to a BB GB thread. Anyone not a BB member will need to create A BB account.

I thought about running it across the two forums, then stopped thinking about it. Too complicated.

I'll include a link at new forum CountrysideAdventures too, but only by link to BB. It's the only way to run it IMO, I've seen these go sour a few times.

Leave it with me and I'll create a GB thread. In the meantime post interest here and I'll get a link posted to the GB thread. I'm worried already dude ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I need to get some £ figures and numbers sorted ...

The way I'll need to run it is with a link here to a BB GB thread.

Count me in at the right price. Which means less than I could get it for if I order one myself. :)

... I'm worried already dude

I hear you. I've done a few group buys and I'm out of pocket quite a bit but it doesn't seem to have stopped me doing them either. :confused:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it runs until the end of the month and if somebody fancies getting two I'll gladly purchase one from your kind self ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I replied on BB (I think I'm the only one so far), same ID. But for some reason it says that a moderator will have to review my post. Maybe that's because I hardly ever visit the site, although I've been a member for yonks.

Anyway, like I said I'm in.

The USP of the stove is the feed port on the front where you can pack some larger sticks into the fire once you've got it going and nudge them in. I've let my Spenton woodgas stove go out before when I wasn't paying attention (you can't really see the fire with a pot on that stove) so the front feed port on the Emberlit is a god thing.

HTH

Simon.

the honey stove has a front feed hole ;)

but is a lot more parts to juggle covered in soot and tar while you put it together ;) which is where these slot together's fall over for me ;)

ATB
Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE