The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Woody girl I’m also in a high risk category:
-over age 63
-diabetic
-several allergies
-heart condition
And on top of all that I’m awaiting clearance from my neurologist before my urologist can reschedule a surgical procedure to remove part of my kidney and a tumor (so a hospital stay will make it impossible to isolate myself from sick people) and I had two more radiological tests this morning (and MRI and an MRA) in a hospital full of sick people (including the first death from the disease in the Florida Panhandle) All that said, I’m just not gonna dwell on a worst case outcome.

Folks

We are veering WAYYYYYYY off topic here

we're skirting politics and also bizarrely injecting parts of the body i would never consider

Can we please be mindful of the OP's desire to not go off topic

I am sure we all can appreciate sensible conversation but it's getting a little too close to alarmist and or political.

I thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
We have seen news items here that it costs about $3000 to be tested for the virus in the US, if that is correct that is absolutely scandalous, and shows how lucky we are over here

Oh, and if they are willing to pay that , then they must be taking it seriously

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Negative propaganda. More and more insurance companies (US and International) are covering the testing 100%, and the US Leader is now taking taking measures to make it available and free for the uninsured.

Who wrote that?

The vaccine is a couple of months away, so do not count on it, as it is estimated the peak will be in a month to two months.

In addition to the vitamins boost I mentioned ( which probably will not help) it is a good idea to check that you have enough Ibuprofen at home. You should have enough so you can take the maximum daily dose for three weeks.
If you are single and living alone, think who is willing to come and help you in case you get sick.

I get updates from our Dept. of Health, main hospital and medical and Dental Council btw.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, the subject is slightly bizarre. It might also get seriously political if the death toll varies between countries and gets high enough.

But there really does not seem to be very much one can do but wait and see.

Reactions: Fadcode

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Not to be pedantic, but the OP only ever mentioned whether or not we are taking the Corona Virus seriously in the following statement.

Obviously panic doesn't help anything, but I am very worried that our "keep calm and carry on" lack of concern is getting in the way of taking steps to limit the seriousness of the situation.

The statement infers that if we cut out the banter, and stop keeping calm and not carrying on, would allow steps to be taken to limit the seriousness of the situation, surely that creates a good debating point, maybe the OP should change the thread title to.

"Why are we not taking the Corona Virus more seriously."

I am sure most people are taking it serious, and will handle the situation the best they can,especially those members who have elderly relatives, or are elderly themselves, but we are British and have always shown a good sense of humour when facing difficulties, that's the way we (meaning myself) were brought up.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What makes this one 'interesting' is that it started several months ago, but was partially ignored. It came during the very mild/small 'normal' flu.
Which many people got vaccinated against, so it never became a problem.

i suspect that the pharma companies were busy manufacturing the vaccine against the mild flu, and could not divert resources for this one, as it was deemed unlikely to spread.

China has to bear much of the blame, not only for allowing the basic problems ( culture and socioeconomics) but also to try to hide the outbreak until it got out of control.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I work for a public service company, and the moment the first confirmed case in the UK, the company retro fitted the toilets to UV, bought supplies and relaxed working policy to allow working home.

Luckily, brexit saw my wife and I buy 3 months supplies.....just wish I had not dipped into the loo roll stash....

Like others here, my parents are at risk, particularly my father whom has advanced copd, just need to get to roughly June time, to see it drop

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My parents died a few years ago but I have a few older relations now in their 90's. I was planning on visiting at the end of March (they're nearly 3 hours away) but now I'm undecided. They probably don't want visitors that could potentially bring the illness but if I don't go, and something happens, I know I'll regret it :(

What to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Claycomb

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
My wife is a supply teacher and I asked her if schools were getting their students to wash their hands regularly she said not as getting 1700 pupils to wash their hands would be a logistical nightmare. I then pull up in the car this evening and a chap walks out of the pub and spits on the pavement. So no, I don't think people are taking Covid 19 seriously....either that or they really don't care. That said I feel that people are generally less bothered/more lazy than they used to be which I find very sad.

I work in further education, most of my students are 19-23yrs and have been really good at taking the precautions that the school has advised.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Also, it is important people do not rush to their GP as soon as they get a tiny bit feverish. Most of those are just a common cold, and even if is the Covid-19 the vast number of infected are fine staying at home. Plus the healthcare system can not take care of a large number of extra patients.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
No, in my opinion, you're being alarmist. If everyone took your lead the economy would collapse; there would be no money or services to support all the action you think should have been taken. Peoples business would go bust, life savings would be lost and lives ruined.

The trigger levels have been decided and, if/when they are reached, further action will be taken. The best way to contain it is to self isolate as soon as you feel unwell to slow the spread. The reality is, as others have said above, most people will get it at some time or other - we just have to make sure we don't all get it at once.

Having said all that, if I had an underlying health issue I would self isolate as soon as it was in my area.
No, i think alarmist is saying at a fatality rate of 3%, 2 million people in britian could die. Fact. That the common cold is a corona virus, fact. That we have never developed a vaccine for the common cold, fact.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Also, it is important people do not rush to their GP as soon as they get a tiny bit feverish..

Before christmas the minimum waiting time for an appointment at my local GP surgery was four weeks and that was pretty normal. Of course if you are really ill then twice a week you can sit all day in a crowded waiting room with everybody else coughing and spluttering.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No, i think alarmist is saying at a fatality rate of 3%, 2 million people in britian could die. Fact. That the common cold is a corona virus, fact. That we have never developed a vaccine for the common cold, fact.

Sorry, I don't understand your post. I wasn't arguing the facts; I was merely pointing out that the action that was being requested was alarmist because a) it wouldn't stop the population getting the virus and b) because it would result in a very weakened economy that would not be able to deal with the results.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sorry, I don't understand your post. I wasn't arguing the facts; I was merely pointing out that the action that was being requested was alarmist because a) it wouldn't stop the population getting the virus and b) because it would result in a very weakened economy that would not be able to deal with the results.
Fair enough. My point being is the difference between what we are being told and the eventual outcome of corona virus. What we are being told is alarmist, not that unknown viruses couldn't be very serious, but it seems pretty clear that this virus is not all that the media is making it out to be, and the possibility of stopping it is about as likely as stopping any other cold virus, its been nearly 3 months now. I think the pneumonia vaccine is likely to be the best option,as sugested by someone.

Reactions: Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE