The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
But then again do not believe everything people on the internet say
"the heat generally speaking kills this kind of virus,”
A quick fact check, like looking at what is happening in countries where it is HOT, may prove this to be incorrect.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Like one statement that said that temps over 30C fast kill the corona virus, human body temp is about 36.5C so no the temp is not killing it. It might be that temps over 30C and dry air kills it fairly fast on a surface but that is not what the article said. So a lot of the information we get is very imprecise, wheather that depends on the reporter or the source I don't know. Probably partly both.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Like one statement that said that temps over 30C fast kill the corona virus, human body temp is about 36.5C so no the temp is not killing it. It might be that temps over 30C and dry air kills it fairly fast on a surface but that is not what the article said. So a lot of the information we get is very imprecise, wheather that depends on the reporter or the source I don't know. Probably partly both.
here's a WHO map, note the countries that have hot dry air,

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That info void on Sahara is likely just that but there is also the fact the very hot and dry places tend to have few people living in it.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Language isn't clearly used by many reporters and journalists. For people whose jobs are about communicating information they're doing a pretty poor job of it with the virus.

The journo might have wanted to say that hot, dry air results in a shorter survival time for the virus outside of the body, thus by having less time to be capable of transmitting from person to person. This then could result in a lower transmission rate. What they actually say is a highly reduced summary that's capable of or indeed highly likely to give the wrong idea. Whether intended or not its wrong.

I just think it's not intended in every case of misinformation. I suspect there's more sloppy journalism these days. Plus less scientific knowledge, understanding or ability in the general population. Harsh perhaps but probably more than a little true.

Reactions: TLM

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
In amongst the Sensationalism, Gossip, and opinions that masquerade as facts, its interesting to read interviews with those who have contracted, and survived coronavirus.
It would also be a good exercise for those reporting numbers of those who have contracted the virus, to report the numbers of those who have survived, and are now clear, but it would appear that this is not the case. See where we are in June.

Reactions: dwardo and Mr Wolf

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In amongst the Sensationalism, Gossip, and opinions that masquerade as facts, its interesting to read interviews with those who have contracted, and survived coronavirus.
It would also be a good exercise for those reporting numbers of those who have contracted the virus, to report the numbers of those who have survived, and are now clear, but it would appear that this is not the case. See where we are in June.

Post some of these please. Be nice to hear that side of things as its completely missing from the press...

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
"the heat generally speaking kills this kind of virus,”
A quick fact check, like looking at what is happening in countries where it is HOT, may prove this to be incorrect.
Yep,I already posted this, but if you look at warm years versus cold years 2008 to 2012 where quite cold as I remember. Global warming !us_flu_deaths-1.png

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
My mums in residential care, really nice place, but they told us yesterday that visiting is over until further notice. It's her birthday Sunday but its phone calls only.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i work in acute healthcare in a hospital. We are taking it seriously and planning like motherfeckers in case it all goes italian......
I am not worried about getting CV19 per se, but more worried about the impact it will have from a wider society point of view.
I will go to work, and step up if need be to look after infected patients.

Wash your hands and follow official advice (not some random chump on facebook etc)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Please take it seriously! Please wash hands thoroughly and often, don't eat touch or your face with unwashed hands, and follow all the advice given by the NHS (or other *reputable* sources).

If you are fit and healthy, you might only get mild symptoms, but please follow the advice to avoid spreading it to people who may get seriously ill as a result.

And if you're a selfish sod that couldn't care less about others (;)), consider that if your local hospitals are overloaded with covid19 patients, they might not be able to deal with traffic accidents, fractures or a Mora-related cuts.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
At least two states here have switched university classes to remote instruction only for the time being (online) and some states have closed primary schools, middle schools, and high schools (although most states haven’t had to make a similar decision yet as spring break is just beginning anyway) At least three sporting leagues have suspended the rest of the season (pro basketball, college/university basketball, and minor league pro hockey) The USO has closed al operations (mind the USO is a volunteer organization staffed mainly by retirees) and some airports have closed. The Florida Governor has issued an executive order prohibiting anybody who has recently returned from overseas or been exposed to anybody who has from visiting nursing homes.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well yesterday I woke up with a bad allergy that triggered a wheezy asthma (officially undiagnosed) episode. I spent a drive to work coughing my guts up due to phlegm. Right now I've got a very sore airway right now. Salbutamol stops this cough by opening airways so I can cough up phlegm and phlegm is reduced with antihistamines.

The thing I am curious about is whether this allergic response counts as underlying conditions? My partner doesn't think so because it developed as an adult fairly recently. She had asthma badly as a kid a few times. So she believes that counts as underlying conditions.

My point being is that there's a lot on media about the outbreak, about the precautions to take but there's little about what could put you into a higher risk group. Has anyone seen a good list of what counts as underlying conditions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE