The care and feeding of Yankees

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
I've seen "yankee"(my dad said it's called "jiffy") screwdrivers for sale in the chinese shops here, never on the flea markets! I've seen hand-drills second-hand though.
hmmmm, shame the flea markets 'round here are expensive... I kid you not, I've seen used stuff up for "as new" prices!...I think the folk who have the old stuff still use it! In a few years, maybe the inherited stuff will come onto the market, bloody rural area, bloody traditional farmers.
I love the drogarias (hardware stores) though: I've seen hand-drills and got a hand-cranked grinder for a tenner there, never seen 'em on the flea markets. We also have masses of chinese shops, filled with cheapo junky stuff, and the occasional bargain.
 
Haha, used to use a yankee to show how fragile safety helmets became with UV, used to fire a well lube'd yankee at it and the bit would go straight through
One of my fave toys as a kid was Dads bit and brace, was regularly pressed into service as my STEN gun or MP40:o

images


Great thread BTW

Still use I
 
Haha, used to use a yankee to show how fragile safety helmets became with UV, used to fire a well lube'd yankee at it and the bit would go straight through
One of my fave toys as a kid was Dads bit and brace, was regularly pressed into service as my STEN gun or MP40:o

images


Great thread BTW

Something similar but a bit ssimpler is still in flightline tool kits, the speed handle:

 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE