The Canteen Cup Confusion. 58 pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I tried to inform myself about the British military canteen.
And with every word I read about it I got more and more confused.

Does BCB stand for Big Confusion Bottle? :confused2:

Can anybody tell me please if the currently produced original issued Osprey 58 pattern bottle fits well into the stainless steel crusader mug?

I mean the crusader mug under the bottle of course.

In which pouches does it fit?

I mean that here:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thank you very much for the info!

This cup fits as well into the issued folding hexamine stove , isn't it?

Does the DPM PLCE utility / waterbottle pouch have Molle straps at the back?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The Water bottle does fit into various pouches some molle (Osprey/Vertus) some standard PLCE

Pouches it fits into are:
Water bottle pouch closed (rectangular one)
Utility pouch
Water water bottle open pouch (looks similar to the US canteen pouch)
LMG 100 round pouch (loads of room to spare)
Dump pouch
Roll up dump pouch

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Yes those two go together like peas and carrots and the pouch is this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...174130?hash=item25fb50eab2:g:JD8AAOSwkBZanBNy

You can also get the burner which goes with the set and all fits in the pouch as seen here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-...925335?hash=item519ea466d7:g:KbIAAOSwYvFZJnfr
Hi, which of these pouches would be a better fit for the bottle, plastic mug and stainless canteen?

or
?
Thanks

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Does the MTP bottle pouch fit as well, if I want to put in it the Osprey bottle with plastic cup, Crusader mug and the BCB gel / hexamine stove above?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
generally I would say yes, a bit tight with the stove but clever packing will get it to fit. The old German esbit stoves are thinner and fit better and you can still use the gel in them. I know cause it is what I use in one of my webbing set ups. and I also changed the plastic cup for a large fold-a-cup which the Scandinavian soldiers use. gives me spare room to fit a lighter, spoon, soup and some brew kit in the pouch.

I have the kit so, can look into for you and take a couple of pictures of it.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What???
That fits too?

I think the Nalgene canteen follows the shape of the issued US army plastic canteen. Are they all interchangeable???

The Nalgene canteen exists in a dark green version too. That looks a bit better for my taste.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@TinkyPete

Please do that!!!

Do you have the clip bail as well?
Does it fit additional under it all into the pouch?

Is the MTP version compatible with the MOLLE / PALS system?

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
What???
That fits too?

I think the Nalgene canteen follows the shape of the issued US army plastic canteen. Are they all interchangeable?

Sorry, can't confirm that as I don't know about the US model's link to the Nalgene bottle.

I'd really like a metal canteen that fits the Crusader mk1 - any information out there?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What???
That fits too?

I think the Nalgene canteen follows the shape of the issued US army plastic canteen. Are they all interchangeable???

The Nalgene canteen exists in a dark green version too. That looks a bit better for my taste.

Yes, they do. I abandoned my Osprey black plastic bottle in favour of the Nalgene canteen and, while the Nalgene bottle slides into the Crusader stainless steel cup easily, it is not as snug a fit.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
still, there are differences between the US issued and US style canteens, I bought a US style (didn't know that then) canteen and it had a different size then the issued one, and again they have a different size then the Dutch issued canteen.
The US style canteen I bought was made by Mil-Tec, inferiour quality compared to the same issued subject. (They copy nowadays allmost all military stuff)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry to read that you gave your money to Miltec. That's usually a bad idea.

The Nalgene canteen is surely far better.

Yes, it looks different, not really my stile, probably not so bomb proof as the original one, but: It is lightweight!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Does the BCB steel Crusader mug fit into a US army ALICE canteen pouch?
And a US army or Nalgene bottle with it?

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
If I can help it I WON'T give my money to Mil-Tec, quite simply I refuse that!
But often merchands aren't so thoughtful to tell where their stuff is coming from, is my experience.
About the Crusader mug and US canteen pouche? I have no Idea, I own not the one or the other.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If the seller doesn't sell it as original / issued he should keep it.

It's better to buy the equipment in a trusty shop anyway...

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
You're right, but we are not all in such privileged situation, I need to drive at least 2,5H for a big city, and even then It's the question if they have a good assorted and serious shop...

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Does the MTP bottle pouch fit as well, if I want to put in it the Osprey bottle with plastic cup, Crusader mug and the BCB gel / hexamine stove above?

All that's usually carried is the bottle and mug, i don't bother with the cooker myself.

The cut out for the hexy stove hasn't been issued for years, and wouldn't fit the new stove anyway. Do yourself a favour and put some black tape over the lip on one side, stops you burning your lips.

The US mug wont fit onto the bottom of an osprey bottle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE