Metal 58 pattern bottle (to fit mk1 British metal mug)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Greetings
Does anyone know of a metal water bottle that fits the mk1 (or 2, I suppose) British metal mug?
I quite like the round mug and bottle combinations a la Self Reliance/ Pathfinder School but find the kidney shaped mug more appealing overall.
I’m aware of the Pathfinder Canteen and Mug but don’t like the handle system.
Any information gratefully received.
Over to the hive mind …

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Do you mean something similar to the French or Belgian aluminium kidney shaped bottle and mug that can also come with a solid fuel stove attachment. They all stack together similar to ‘58 pattern but slightly different shape and size. The bottle has a green plastic cap secured with a chain and they come in a belt pouch with two sets of press studs to accommodate the stove.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
That’s one idea. I’d prefer a bottle that fits the mk1 mug and is made from stainless steel. Is there one?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Short answer, no.

Long answer;

The '58 bottle is quite a unique shape and only generally used by UK Forces and is quite dissimilar to the US style bottle. The cups are also different shapes, both top plastic and bottom Crusader styles.

The US model is more of an international standard both historically and modern iterations. The French used it, Nalgene make a Lexan version and there are cheap copies of mugs, lids and pouches galore.

I wish someone would make a steel or Ti version of the '58 bottle as it would be almost perfect to me.

But don't forget it was made in black plastic for a reason after many years of steel and Aluminium bottles. It doesn't dent, it deals with cold and heat well, it's easily cleaned, chemically inert, proof against sterilising tablets and boiling water, cheap, doesn't slosh noisily, it's lack of translucence preserves water and the black absorbs solar heat to melt ice in the threads.

Reactions: MrEd and Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I can’t recall one.

‘44 pattern metal bottle has a matching cup.

You can get the USGI cup with the L handle or the butterfly if one style is not your cup of tea!

Reactions: DocG

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the benefit of a black plastic water bottle, however, I’d prefer a metal version. I don’t need it to be tactically silent, I would like it to be boilable over a fire, like the Pathfinder and Nalgene metal bottles.
The titanium versions may have their advantages but the price is beyond what I’m willing to pay.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Tbs bushcraft did do one it’s out of stock atm though .
I have a Stanley adventure canteen but it’s been a nightmare getting a cup that fits on the bottom half sensibly and a pouch that will carry the pair, plus the metal bits on the sides for attaching a strap rattle like crazy and scare off any wildlife .

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I've just had a look at my kit,and the Tatonka mug fits a treat,the mug is 350ml,but would take a bit more at a push.Hope that helps.
I just had a quick Google and most of them are round ?
I found a YouTube video where he says the pathfinder canteen cup was a good fit so I ordered the Helikon tex copy , the canteen doesn’t go right to the bottom but I can just fill that space with a cloth or sachets of hot drink powder.pic of the canteen I’m talking about .

Attachments

• IMG_0951.png
    IMG_0951.png
    390.1 KB · Views: 12

MrGrumpy

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 15, 2022
Uk
Searched for years to find a metal bottle to fit crusader mug and never found one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE