The boots are dead, Long live the new boots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
After a couple of years of good use my Black's own label boots have come apart at the stitching on the side :(

I have some great times with them, and I got on well with them, but they are dead!

So I am on the look out for a new pair, I am able to go to about £150-200 next payday, what do you chap advise, oh wise and knowledgeable bushcrafter's.

I have been looking at these http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/813-Rogue-RB-5-Trans-Africa-Boots/, not sure why, anyone tried them?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've not tried those on Raymondo's site but Rogue are known to be hard wearing.

What sort of boot are you looking at, the Rogues are kind of different to the mainstream stuff. I've had Lowas which are great civvie boots, one pair are knocking on for 12 years old now but I think they're days are numbered now. I've had Altbergs which were okay, I'm currently wearing Lundhag Ranger Highs for bushy trips which I'm hoping will last me as long as the Lowas.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I do like the more traditional looking boot, I have been think about some Lowas as well as the Rogues, which I like as they would be a different style from the norm. I will have to have a look at the Lunghag's, cheers for the recommend.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Herres my boots dude, Rogue RB6 EXTREME DUUUUUUUUUDE!
RB6-Extreme.jpg

sorry but they are really called extreme! hard working boot, i think the newer ones have a water proof membrane though nit sure on that, had mine for 5 years, wear them all year round with the white Arctic woolly socks, they do need moulding to your feet before there comfy, absolutely no cushioning in the sole, very good solid boot!

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Just got the RB 2 rogue boots off Woodlore, and I must admit I like them , very comfy and solid

Watch the sizing though I take a 91/2 in shoes so normally a 10 in boots but got a 9 in the rogues as advised by woodlore staff and they are fine with a good sock .

No waterproof membrane so will not use them all year round but great for summer use , in fact had them on all day today.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I got a pair of Lundhags at the game fair for £190 & am loving them. Everything is quality & they are really comfortable. Worth a look if you can find a pair in that price range.

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
Karrimors crap? You serious? What did you use them for, walking on hot coals? I've had mine for years and they have been through hell and back and are still good. Issue boots are great as well and each size comes in an additional 3 sizes to suit narrow, medium and wide feet, cant go wrong.

Last edited:
Poacher
I considered them a good deal - list is £260. I think of kit from small volume manufacturers thus:
How many hours would it take me to make them, or in the case of something tricky like boots how many hours would it take a trained skilled craftsman to make them. Then I ask myself how that compares to the cost of plumbing - they're usually very reasonable.

I prefer to see my money go to small companies that make clever stuff, employing people from their community. Of course democracy protesters in slave camps can make stuff for less, but to me quality and design are worth paying for.

Custom knives are the ultimate bargain - they're very tricky to make and the chap who sweated over them is basically doing it for minimum wage or less.

SBW

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That's because they are the old Karrimors, before they went bankrupt and a cheapo company bought the name. The new ones are not a patch on the old ones.

Army boots come in one width fitting with the same heel last. They really don't suit all. I can't do more than walk the dogs in terms of comfort, more than a couple miles and they hurt like hell. My Grensons on the other hand, are like gloves.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
Thanks for the advice chaps, paydays a way off yet so I'll have to keep using my dead Blacks for a while, and as long as it is dry! A ranger I help out suggested these chaps http://www.altberg.co.uk/ he says they are very good, he gets his bike boots from them and when he rides up to Scotland on his weekends off, he uses them for hiking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE