The best place to do bushcraft in Europe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Is where? I should have added a question mark, to the title but I thought this would lure more of you into my trap!

I say europe, rather than the world, because I want to go for an extended trip this summer (5 weeks?), but don't want to cause loads of pollution by flying to china or brasil.

My first thought was scandinavia. Wondering about eastern europe and those big forests in poland. Romania is really poor and they still farm and use horses. There could be some there.

What do you all think?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I would have to say scandinavia, have spent a week in the norh of Finland and have to say that the place is fantastic. It was an experience i will never forget, but have to say that four hours of greylight a day did take some getting used to.But the forests had to be seen to be belived, hope you have a good time wherever you end up and make sure you keep us all posted.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Germany has some fantastic countryside, and the good thing is that they look after their land as oposed to UK with its' fly tips and plastic bag trees! Unfortunately, the laws are even more sifling than Englands' with regards to camping, but many still go. The woods are too big to be policed all the time!

You're gonna come up against that problem throughout Europe though, many countries are so Eco friendly that they don't allow wild camping or open fires. Good luck with your search for the Mecca of Bushcrafti!

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Sweeden is fantastic. was lucky enough to be there last June. Things are pretty relaxed regardig the right to camp and make fires........

http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/I...ic-access/What-is-the-Right-of-Public-Access/

The people were great and theres just so much space, it's twice the size of Britain but has a population of barely nine million!

A bit more info here...............

http://www.camping.se/templates/start____320.aspx

Sweden2007no2072.jpg

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Information on access in finland here
http://www.visitfinland.com/w5/index.nsf/(Pages)/Everyman's_Rights?opendocument&np=E-40.45
Hope its of help

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Maybe it's a good idea to go to an ancient forest. Like in Belarus/Poland there's the Białowieża_Forest.
Białowieża Primaeval Forest, known as Belaveskaya Pushcha (Белавеская пушча) or Belovezhskaya Pushcha in Belarus and Image:Ltspkr.png Puszcza Białowieska in Poland, is an ancient woodland straddling the border between Belarus and Poland, located 70 km north of Brest. It is the only remaining part of the immense forest which once spread across the European Plain [1].

This UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve lies in south-western Belarus, in parts of the Brest voblast (Kamianiec and Pruzhany districts) and Hrodna voblast (Svislach district), and near the town of Białowieża in the Podlachian Voivodeship (62 km south-east of Białystok and 190 km north-east of Warsaw) in Poland. On the Polish side it is partly protected as Białowieski Park Narodowy, or Białowieża National Park, and occupies over 100 km². On the Belarusian side the Biosphere Reserve occupies 1,771 km²; the core area covers 157 km²; the buffer zone - 714 km²; and the transition zone - 900 km²; with the National Park and World Heritage Site comprising 876 km². The border between the two countries runs through the forest and is closed for large animals and tourists for the time being. The security fence keeps the wisent on either side of it genetically isolated from each other.
Enough space to get lost :p
More information to find at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_old_growth_forests#Eurasia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE