The BCUK 5 year diary

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Following a discussion here, I decided to make a five year diary.

The reasoning behind it is to make notes as and when I see things coming into flower, ripening, being available as wild food and stuff like that. In subsequent years, I can flick back through the diary and see what's there for that month or the next and then I can be aware of what to look out for. Many times I've missed a decent harvest of wild plant food simply because I forgot to look out for it, and when I remembered, the opportunity had passed for another year.

Here's some pics.

smdiary001.jpg

The diary is leather bound and is secured with a leather thong.

smdiary002.jpg

The inner diary itself is sheathed in thin leather to give the pages strength and support the punch holes so they won't tear out. The punch holes are secured with leather thong.

smdiary003.jpg

The pages themselves are one week to each page. Just short notes are needed as an aid memoir. You fill in the month and year yourself and put the dates next to each day so you can start the diary any time in any month in any year and it'll still be good five years later.

smdiary004.jpg

There's enough pages for five years of notes.

smdiary005.jpg

I've done a bit of tooling on the cover.

smdiary006.jpg

You can see from the size that it's not too big, and will fit in a ditty bag or backpack.

The pages were made on CorelDraw v9. I just printed out a master page then photocopied it both sides on A4 paper. These were then cut into four, assembled in one pile and hole punched with a normal hole punch.

Anyone wanting to try one for themselves? If so I'll make the master page into a PDF file and link to it here so you can just download it and print it out. You'll need just 34 sheets of A4 paper and some scrap leather to make this diary.

Anyway, that's my 5 year diary. Thanks for looking.

Eric

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
That is an excellent idea. I know that I've struggled with the idea of remembering what and when, knowing that I'm too easily distracted to make the nice neat notes that I should and so lack any sort of system that is reliable or consistent enough.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Lovely idea, Eric. Definitely one for the BCUK range of products. This could be the beginning of something BIG! A range of logs for various purposes could be a cracking thing to have (meteorological and the like).

Best regards,
Paul.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one! I really like that, can't believe you made the pages yourself! Really cool!

It's inspired me, although I won't be able to do the intricate stuff, a simple cover could be fashioned quite easily. I'm gonna have a think and see if I can gather the resources needed to make one myself. Cheers Eric!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Now I DO like that! :D - I thein'k i'll have to have a go at makeing something similar myself

Probably not with the lovely tooling and probably not with the 5 year diary bit either (have never managed to keep up journals!:eek: )

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Nice one! I really like that, can't believe you made the pages yourself!

It was after you posted on the other thread. I had a trawl through other web sites and couldn't find a five year diary that didn't have stupid pictures and the like, either that or it cost a fortune. The pages are really easy to make though, once you've planned the layout. It just takes a sharp knife (we all have one of those), a cutting mat and a ruler and they slice into half and half again. I'll do a PDF file and link it here so people can download it and see if it'll suit their purposes.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
PDF Download.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat for this.

Right click here and select Save File As to your hard drive.

Load the file into Acrobat and print. Print both sides. It doesn't matter which way up you have it as it's mirrored.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Eric

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice idea Eric, its certainly worth giving it a go. thanks for the insight. I need to download a version of Adobe first though.:11doh:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Eric
I'd like the pdf file but a login request appears when I try to get the file. Any ideas?
Alan

None at all Alan. It should download freely as it's in the downloads folder on my server.
If you still can't get it, PM me with your email address and I'll send it by email as an attachment.

Eric

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Of course I could put my blue peter hat on and suggest recycling of other material to make something just as functional. If you don't have leather, why not use cardboard covered in Fablon. Or you could use cloth fabric with a cardboard stiffener.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Just leather stamps from LePrevo Leather in Newcastle. The same ones I use for other leather projects. If you want to do a primitive cover you can tool with a nail on damp leather - lots of little dots in whatever patterns you fancy.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE