The Amish as a source

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The Amish way of life is the antithesis of bushcrafting and as such they have nothing to teach us. Land ripped by ploughs and milking overbred cows, energy imported in the shape of hay and presumably feed. They may have some craft but how relevant are these? I wonder how many Amish type communities a country could afford.

Of course they offer the attraction of a kind of "Good Life" but would anybody like to exchange the life of Tom and Barbara for one of theocratic rule?

Just how many "bushcrafters" do you think could live off the land without conventional farming techniques (and fairly huge imports as well) in the UK? Its a lot less than the current population.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Amish way of life is the antithesis of bushcrafting and as such they have nothing to teach us. Land ripped by ploughs and milking overbred cows, energy imported in the shape of hay and presumably feed. They may have some craft but how relevant are these? I wonder how many Amish type communities a country could afford...

By that reasoning (how many farminers could a country afford?) one might also wonder how many foragers a country can afford?

Many have wondered how (or why) the Amish can deprive themselves of the benefits of technology; I wonder do you deprive yourself of food produced by farmers who plow the ground? Or of dairy products? If you're going to speak ill of farmers, then I hope you have the good manners not to talk with your mouth full.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
By that reasoning (how many farminers could a country afford?) one might also wonder how many foragers a country can afford?

Many have wondered how (or why) the Amish can deprive themselves of the benefits of technology; I wonder do you deprive yourself of food produced by farmers who plow the ground? Or of dairy products? If you're going to speak ill of farmers, then I hope you have the good manners not to talk with your mouth full.

As we are told with boring regularity that living by bushcrafting might be nigh on impossible then your first question is irrelevant. It is in the context of bushcrafting that I referred to farming practices. Of course our present population requires intensive agriculture. To live off the grid requires a large share of available land unavailable to the generality of their fellow citizens and as such are luxuries. Fine if anyone can manage it but that doesn't make them icons.

It seems, for example, that we have more dairy farmers at present in the UK than the country can afford and the market is sorting it out. Regrettable in some ways.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair enough in that context boatman. It was just that your original post sounded as if you were having a go at conventional farming; and a rather spiteful one at that. I'm sorry if that wasn't your intention.

As to the surplus of dairy farmers, we too have a surplus product compared to market (have had for decades) Largely due to official policy the discussion of which would run us afoul of the rules prohibitting politics. Enough to say that as I remember Europe occassionally turns the surplus into butter whereas the US has in the past turned it into cheese for distribution to the disadvantaged (and some was sold in the commissaries to military families while I was statioen in England at about 1/7 the cost of commercial cheeses)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Amish way of life is the antithesis of bushcrafting and as such they have nothing to teach us. Land ripped by ploughs and milking overbred cows, energy imported in the shape of hay and presumably feed. They may have some craft but how relevant are these? I wonder how many Amish type communities a country could afford.

Of course they offer the attraction of a kind of "Good Life" but would anybody like to exchange the life of Tom and Barbara for one of theocratic rule?

Possibly under current conditions. Their ways and life style could in fact be a necessity should their be a major change in our social fabric, so not to be dismissed in such a contrite fashion; many 'Bushcrafters' near lecture the benefits of a simpler life style. Personally I'd rather someone else dig up my spuds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...of "Good Life" but would anybody like to exchange the life of Tom and Barbara for one of theocratic rule?.."

It isn't a theocracy, there are some quite rigid codes that they choose to live by however these are enforced insomuch as straying from them would be looked on as letting the side down a bit. :)

"...To live off the grid requires a large share of available land unavailable to the generality of their fellow citizens and as such are luxuries. Fine if anyone can manage it but that doesn't make them icons..."

Perhaps not icons, but certainly a very useful resource for those who either choose to (or will in time be forced to) live off the grid.

They have retained skills in animal husbandry, the use and maintenance of 'primitive' agricultural machinery, food preservation, the use of 'primitive' construction tools and technologies and have available to themselves a sizeable selection of heirloom fruits, vegetables and cereals. Skills and things lost to many.

Add to that an ability to coexist with a hostile, greedy and intolerant world.

O0NCG.jpg

Arguably a useful set of skills for the decades ahead.

:)

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It isn't a theocracy, there are some quite rigid codes that they choose to live by however these are enforced insomuch as straying from them would be looked on as letting the side down a bit. :)

All freely choose? Community pressure can be terribly fierce, this is the main objection to localism as opposed to universally applied national laws and mores. Think how quickly perception can overrule the facts even in regard to on-topic bushcrafty subjects on this board even if they are fringe to living and smoothing it in the woods and wilderness.

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
They have retained skills in animal husbandry, ...

Add to that an ability to coexist with a hostile, greedy and intolerant world.

O0NCG.jpg

Arguably a useful set of skills for the decades ahead.

:)

I would caution having an idyllic view of they have their own issues with intolerance and greed. They are people as well, nothing more. They run afoul of the law frequently with animal cruelty issues. I have been in a restaurant and have seen the poor condition of their horses left without water while they dine in air conditioned comfort. I had to repress my inner savage lest I became a resident of the state facilities.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would caution having an idyllic view of they have their own issues with intolerance and greed. They are people as well, nothing more. They run afoul of the law frequently with animal cruelty issues. I have been in a restaurant and have seen the poor condition of their horses left without water while they dine in air conditioned comfort. I had to repress my inner savage lest I became a resident of the state facilities.

Horses aren't really a good example. They drink when they choose, not when you give them water. I've been to many horse shows where my horses stood or competed in the hot sun all day and through the night but refused to drink until we returned home late that night or early the next morning. It's actually normal (if not understood by non horse owners)

As to them being inside in air conditioned comfort, what of it? I'm in an air conditioned house now as are all my horse owning friends. The horses are outside in 88f heat (today's high will be over 100f) but they've NEVER even thought of AC. It's just their normal world.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It seems, for example, that we have more dairy farmers at present in the UK than the country can afford and the market is sorting it out. Regrettable in some ways.

Massive multinational corporations like Tesco and Asda/Walmart forcing artificially forcing down the price of certain staples like milk because they are using it as a subsidised loss leader instore, does NOT mean that the price is cheap because there are too many suppliers in the UK.

Land ripped by ploughs and milking overbred cows, energy imported in the shape of hay and presumably feed

Where do you think hay comes from? Farmers, like the Amish, grow it as part of crop rotation, they don't need to import it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE