The Advantages of A flintlock Gun for Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You'd do well to hit a deer with a stick unless it's a very long stick....although in this day and age the rspca would try have you done for stepping on snails or slugs

But no I Dout you would get done if you chased a deer down the field with a big stick
Ah but you see I am figuring on a fat deer, that is too busy munching my crops to notice me sneaking up on it :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I recall sweeping the deer poops off my front concrete door step this morning.
Could have shoved them off by opening the storm door!
Not legal to feed wildlife, in the village or elsewhere.
I don't believe that you could kill a deer by beating on it with a stick.
However, cougar teeth & claws are effective.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You'd do well to hit a deer with a stick unless it's a very long stick....although in this day and age the rspca would try have you done for stepping on snails or slugs

But no I Dout you would get done if you chased a deer down the field with a big stick

The rule is - save the last shell for the RSPCA.
Inner city vegan, ***, Crossdres*ing terrorists.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..........shot such as ssgs would kill a deer at close range but if I was going out to hunt deer I'd use something made for the job such as a 243 or 308

00 buckshot is specifically made to take deer. That's why it's called "buck" shot.

.....The people with the "problems" you mention would never get a gun permit in Sweden either, thank the Gods.
Good to have a gun safe bolted securely, good for safe keeping passports, jewellery and so on.

In Sweden hunt for deer with a shotgun was legal when I lived there 20 years ago, do not know today.

Getting a "permit" and getting a gun are two separate issues. Criminals tend to ignore the legalities.

Easy is:

I fancy a shotgun!

Go to Walmart, select shotgun from range in stock, select a couple boxes ammo, slug, SSG, no problem. Pay.

Go home and stick it behind the bedroom door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, that would be nice. I'd love to skip the issue of the background check; solely because of the added expense (well, that and the fact that they haven't had any appreciable effect on criminal activity anyway)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Very true.
Wife missed her hand guns she had in Sweden a lot more than I did, and started shooting .22 high precision rifle.
Also easy to get a permit for.
I never tried to get a rifle permit as I did not have the opportunity to shoot deer and such, so I do not know the difficulty of getting a permit for one or two of those!

Here in Cayman, I need to wait for our new range to be built before I can apply for a rifle permit. Can not wait!
Several of the members hunt in the US, and they keep the rifles in the US.

Why don't they bring their rifles back home? Was it really that hard bringing them to the US the first time that they don't want to go through it again? I ask because your post infers that they bought them here and left them; however only citizens and resident aliens (with a proper green card) can legally buy firearms here. Even then, many states require you also be a legal, permanent resident of the individual state as well (unless a military member on stationed out of his/her home state)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They bought them in Florida. As far as know it is not possible here in Cayman to get a permit today for a rifle of a hunting callibre. .22, 9x18 (9mm Luger) are the only callibers they allow. Untill recently a couple managed to get a permit for .223, but that got stopped. I do not know how it works in Florida to be frank, but I have (on asking a gun dealer) been told that all he needs is an adress and a few days. None of the guys is an US citizen. Cayman Islands and British. Some own houses there though.

To import a gun of any sort into the US is a nightmare unless you are a dealer, but difficult even then. My wife bought a Manurhin .357 Mag from the US. Took almost a year for the US dealer to get the export permit from France and import permit to the US sorted. The biggest problem was that the Frenchies sent over documentation that were not sufficient and correct for the US customs, they did this several times. The standard French papers were not what the US wanted. Nobody wanted to bulge.
What a world we live in....Bureaucrats and insanity rules.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They bought them in Florida. As far as know it is not possible here in Cayman to get a permit today for a rifle of a hunting callibre. .22, 9x18 (9mm Luger) are the only callibers they allow. Untill recently a couple managed to get a permit for .223, but that got stopped. I do not know how it works in Florida to be frank, but I have (on asking a gun dealer) been told that all he needs is an adress and a few days. None of the guys is an US citizen. Cayman Islands and British. Some own houses there though.

To import a gun of any sort into the US is a nightmare unless you are a dealer, but difficult even then. My wife bought a Manurhin .357 Mag from the US. Took almost a year for the US dealer to get the export permit from France and import permit to the US sorted. The biggest problem was that the Frenchies sent over documentation that were not sufficient and correct for the US customs, they did this several times. The standard French papers were not what the US wanted. Nobody wanted to bulge.
What a world we live in....Bureaucrats and insanity rules.

Your friend who's a dealer was wrong. According to my dealer's handbook (yes I was a licensed C&R collector with dealer's privileges):

"An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is reesiding in that State and has resided continuously in that state for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to both his identity by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90 day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentaion to prove residency include : utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser's place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.
C.F.R. (Code of Federal Regulations, the federal law)"

[18 U.S.C. 921, 922(b)(3), (d) and (g) 27 C.F.R. 478.11 and 478.99(a)

All bold emphasis are mine. The point of it all being that after a period of 90 days (and having acquired a government issued photo ID such as a Driver's License) as well as a long term lease and job (which can only be gotten with a resident I.D. card; the "green card") an alien has essentially established permanent residency. The 90 day period is exactly the same as required foir a native citizen to establish residency in a new state (or even a new county or town) for voting purposes.

Furthermore the form you have to fill out when buying a firearm (A.T.F. Form 4473) has a series of questions the buyer must answer. One of said questions (number 15) specifically requires aliens to provide their U.S. issued alien number or admission number. Here's a link to the form www.atf.gov/file/61446/download As you can see, there are some exceptions for properly documented sport hunters and a few others.

Regarding importing a firearm here I've only ever done it once when I returned from England. All I had to do was fill out the Customs Declaration; but that was a shotgun I had originally bought here and had taken out of the country with me to England when I was stationed there.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The gun dealer was just a gun dealer, not a friend.
I will ask tomorrow at the range how they do it, if they will be there.

The regs here are really strict. To import a spare part we need a permit. Transporting my legal guns, I have to take it from the safe, take it to the range, then straight home into the safe. Has to be in the house when it gets dark.
Empty casings are considered a restricted item.

Sometimes US tourists come into the country with a couple of live rounds in the luggage. They pass through US security, but get found out passing through our security on the way home.
Court case, 1000 KYD fine.
But, still much better than UK where no handguns are permitted!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Sometimes US tourists come into the country with a couple of live rounds in the luggage. They pass through US security, but get found out passing through our security on the way home.....

Seems highly unlikely. I've been through airport security: Metal Detectors, X-Rays, and hand searches. All in all takes over half an hour IF the lines are moving well and no suspicions aroused. In that case a much more intensive cavity search ensues. Of course it's possible but not on anything nears the frequency your post would infer. At least not for air travel; are those tourists you speak of perhaps on sea cruises? I have no idea what their security's like to be honest and just looking at your location it seems it's probably a popular destination/stop for such.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yet it happens. Check the Cayman Compass, search on "bullet".
The last time it happened was 14 April this year, 6 bullets found in carry on luggage upon leaving Cayman. 1000 KYD fine.
She was lucky, had a Caymanian or an expat been found with that it eould have been a serious crime eith up to 10 years in our lovely prison.
I do not understand either how the US security can miss so gravely. Sleeping with open eyes?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yet it happens. Check the Cayman Compass, search on "bullet".
The last time it happened was 14 April this year, 6 bullets found in carry on luggage upon leaving Cayman. 1000 KYD fine.
She was lucky, had a Caymanian or an expat been found with that it eould have been a serious crime eith up to 10 years in our lovely prison.
I do not understand either how the US security can miss so gravely. Sleeping with open eyes?

Yes, it happens. But one example is hardly the regular occurence your earlier post inferred.

With a bit of research I've learned that the maximum possible possible fines here are as high as $11,000 per occurrence. Meaning that would be $11,000 each x her 6 bullets = $66,000. However the average fine appears to be much lower at around $250 or in some cases no fine at all. The deciding factor appears to be twofold:

1) most cases appear to be the traveler forgetting that small swiss army knife, and
2) most travelers are polite, contrite, and cooperative/compliant when the item is discovered.

In other words, getting caught is much like getting caught speeding (don't be an a$$ to the agents)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We have side tracked the thread but the subject of flying with firearms brings up a disadvantage for muzzle loaders. While it's legal here to fly with modern guns and ammo (the ammo in small quantities and the unloaded guns locked in a hard case or suitcase in checked baggage) the same can't be said for black powder. However one would presume the actual gun itself would be allowed subject to the same restrictions as flying with a modern gun and the projectiles (i.e. unloaded and locked inside a hard shell case or suitcase in checked baggage) and then buying a 1 pound can of black powder or a modern substitute at the destination.

I find all this talk of "Humane killing" some what amusing, unless things have changed since I left it is perfectly legal to blast away with your shot gun at fox's rabbits pigeons pheasant ducks geese etc etc Are their lives worth less than a deer? I also find it amusing all the folk who are experts yet obviously get there knowledge from Hollywood movies. A blackpowder muzzle loader is not for everyone but don't ever under estimate their ability.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Here's an interesting blending of some old ideas with a modern twist coming together to make a repeating black powder & shot pistol.
Whilst not strictly a flintlock in the classical Pirates of the Caribbean sense had percussion caps never been invented this is how firearms could of evolved.

[video]https://youtu.be/GWXiIqh0DwQ[/video]

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I find all this talk of "Humane killing" some what amusing, unless things have changed since I left it is perfectly legal to blast away with your shot gun at fox's rabbits pigeons pheasant ducks geese etc etc Are their lives worth less than a deer? I also find it amusing all the folk who are experts yet obviously get there knowledge from Hollywood movies. A blackpowder muzzle loader is not for everyone but don't ever under estimate their ability.

I've always thought there is a peculiar contradiction in the shooting fraternity regarding attitudes to different quarry. It is strongly emphasised to minimalise as much as possible the possibility of leaving a shot deer injured, therefore shooting at moving deer is strongly condemned as it is more likely to leave one injured than shooting a still one. However shooting at pheasants lying still on the floor is strongly condemned as ''unsporting'', game birds and wildfowl are supposed to be shot in flight (moving) and folks are praised for shooting fast flying and high birds which present difficult shots (in other words hard to hit easy to miss shots which may leave a bird injured). It is peculiar that shooting moving deer is condemned as irresponsible while at the same time shooting moving game birds is praised as sporting, the two attitudes are a total opposite to each other.

Ive never seen a flintlock one personally either (I have seen several double barrel percussion rifles, shotguns, and Howda Pistols and they're still being offered) However, research indicates they go back as far as matchlocks.

I haven't seen one in person, either but I remember seeing a photo of a double-barreled shotgun belonging to Catherine the Great in a book (same book mentioned the existence of a 5-shot revolver shotgun from the 18th century (=cylinder had to be rotated by hand); there's also a mentioning of double-barreled shotguns in J.F.Coopers books....
guess one reason they were not very common was the challenge to manufacture aligned barrels----> more expensive and only richer folks could afford them...

Here's an interesting blending of some old ideas with a modern twist coming together to make a repeating black powder & shot pistol.
Whilst not strictly a flintlock in the classical Pirates of the Caribbean sense had percussion caps never been invented this is how firearms could of evolved.

[video]https://youtu.be/GWXiIqh0DwQ[/video]

has anyone read "island in the sea of time"" by S.M.Stifling?! it mentions a rifle using the Westley Richards droplock design and flintlock ignition-- wonder if that's technically possible... (no-- I'm not planning to make one....:rolleyes:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't seen one in person, either but I remember seeing a photo of a double-barreled shotgun belonging to Catherine the Great in a book (same book mentioned the existence of a 5-shot revolver shotgun from the 18th century (=cylinder had to be rotated by hand); there's also a mentioning of double-barreled shotguns in J.F.Coopers books....
guess one reason they were not very common was the challenge to manufacture aligned barrels----> more expensive and only richer folks could afford them...

Possibly. However they made them with percussion caps. I was also wondering if the open flash holes of the flintlocks made the two barrels that close more subject ot accidental ignition of the second barrel?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've always thought there is a peculiar contradiction in the shooting fraternity regarding attitudes to different quarry. It is strongly emphasised to minimalise as much as possible the possibility of leaving a shot deer injured, therefore shooting at moving deer is strongly condemned as it is more likely to leave one injured than shooting a still one. .....

So I take it y'all don't hunt (shoot) deer in front of hunting dogs either?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE