The Advantages of A flintlock Gun for Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Santaman, it happens a couple of times a year. All coming from the US.

Humane kill? Yes, maybe an oxymoron, but we must not forget that a natural/ average death in nature is usually slow and painful, be it bring ripped to pieces and eaten, or dying from natural causes, or from wounds.

Dying from a well placed expanding bullet is quick. Even a badly placed expanding bullet usually means death but slower.

Like the not so ancient, non Chinese proverb tell us - lived a beautiful, healthy free live, died in agony that lasted a second.

Last edited:
Possibly. However they made them with percussion caps. I was also wondering if the open flash holes of the flintlocks made the two barrels that close more subject ot accidental ignition of the second barrel?

both examples of double-barreled shotgun I mentioned pre-date percussion caps....

but I agree that accidental ignition might another reason they were less common....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Brits used a multi barelled flintlock ( armed forces) plus let us not forget the Pepperbox pistol.
Shotguns were double b. too.

I doubt these guns were usable for accurate shooting, plus they must have been very expensive if well made.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I find all this talk of "Humane killing" some what amusing, unless things have changed since I left it is perfectly legal to blast away with your shot gun at fox's rabbits pigeons pheasant ducks geese etc etc Are their lives worth less than a deer? I also find it amusing all the folk who are experts yet obviously get there knowledge from Hollywood movies. A blackpowder muzzle loader is not for everyone but don't ever under estimate their ability.

Black powder and firearms knowledge all first hand here. DSC, RCO and Instructors Certification. Certified Hunter both sides of the pond. SGC, FAC, Explosives Certificate. I teach reloading too.

Expert? No still learning every day despite being at this nearly 40 years.

Actually for me, all life deserves the same respect. If you aren't happy with the shot you don't take the shot.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Black powder and firearms knowledge all first hand here. DSC, RCO and Instructors Certification. Certified Hunter both sides of the pond. SGC, FAC, Explosives Certificate. I teach reloading too.

Expert? No still learning every day despite being at this nearly 40 years......

I've been at it nearly 58 years (since I was old enough to walk behind daddy and flush the birds for him) Never even heard the word "certification" in connection with hunting this side of the pond. Unless you mean the Hunter's Safety Course most kids take before they're old enough to need a hunting license (under 15 usually don't need a license) Hunting's just something you learn; like how to walk, or how to ride a horse or run a chain saw. If you can't do those things you really shouldn't be out in public without supervision anyway.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Bit more precise over here. You wouldn't be passing our DSC at 15. Not so easy getting your hunters card as a foreign national either.

What would you like me to say? You caught me out. I'm a fraud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bit more precise over here. You wouldn't be passing our DSC at 15. Not so easy getting you hunters card as a foreign national either.

What would you like me to say? You caught me out. I'm a fraud.

I disagree with you on loads of things but I wouldn't call you a fraud. And when I was stationed over there I had a shotgun certificate and was invited to hunt rabbits (no mention of any cards at the time though) Mind that was way back in the 1980s.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Sweden and Norway you need to do a course and pass a test for your hunters license. 16? Or 18? Not sure.
In UK I got the Shotgun permit and could go and hunt birds and rabbits straight away, no formal ed needed. This was in -97.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well, buddy, I have the formal qualification to back the experience. I come from a culture when being a hunter requires more than Walmart, a credit card and fuel to get you to public land.

You can disagree with me all you like but on many of the subjects discussed you are playing to my strong suit.

Fill your boots.

My kids got SGC at 12. FAC at 14.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I find all this talk of "Humane killing" some what amusing, unless things have changed since I left it is perfectly legal to blast away with your shot gun at fox's rabbits pigeons pheasant ducks geese etc etc Are their lives worth less than a deer? I also find it amusing all the folk who are experts yet obviously get there knowledge from Hollywood movies. A blackpowder muzzle loader is not for everyone but don't ever under estimate their ability.

I have seen all Rambo movies and am now studying The Expendables. So I know most things about guns.

My shooting experience ( hunt and target) since the age of 16 and the 3 years in the army as an officer count for nothing.

I wish I could shoot a multiple gun comp, me with modern guns against somebody shooting flint or cap lock.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In Sweden and Norway you need to do a course and pass a test for your hunters license. 16? Or 18? Not sure.
In UK I got the Shotgun permit and could "murder" birds and rabbits straight away, no formal ed needed.

The Hunter's Safety Course is a relatively recent thing here. In theory it's left up to the individual states but in practice they're all alike in that regard: anyone born after 1974 must successfully complete such a course before being allowed to buy their hunting license. In all 50 states the course is taught by commissioned Wildlife Officers (officers of the State Police force specifically for enforcing game, fish, and conservation laws) The course usually is for a few hours an evening every evening for a week, or alternatively (and more commonly) all day for both days of a weekend. It's strictly a safety course.

As to the age requirements, most states don't require kids younger than 15 to have a license (they hunt free) Only those 15 or over (some states cut it off at 16) are required to buy the license. Licenses are generally sold over the counter unless they're for something limited by how many can be given out; and example would be Florida's recent bear hunt. Only so many bear permits were allocated so applicants had to buy the general hunting license and hope they were drawn for a bear permit.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, buddy, I have the formal qualification to back the experience. I come from a culture when being a hunter requires more than Walmart, a credit card and fuel to get you to public land.

You can disagree with me all you like but on many of the subjects discussed you are playing to my strong suit.

Fill you boots.

My kids got SGC at 12. FAC at 14.

This is so correct!

Formal educations means the trial and error is removed from hunting, which benefits the animal.
Formal education is also needed for shooting handguns. Properly trained you are a better shooter and your fellow shooters are safe.
We have different filosophy from across the Atlantic when it comes to most things, driver permits, gun permits, fishing permits?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

You can disagree with me all you like but on many of the subjects discussed you are playing to my strong suit......

That's exactly one of the things we disagree on. "Formal qualification" I hardly near a lifestyle. By the way, "fuel" isn't needed to get to hunting land. Just walk out the back door. Growing up in the country (not to be confused with "rural) means all the land within a day's walk belongs to family, friends/neighbors who ALL hunt and generally allow other locals to do so on their land. "Public " land rarely comes into it as we grow up; however now in my adopted state I have access to roughly 250,000 acres of hunting ground on the Eglin AFB Reservation, and another 210,000 acres of the Blackwater River State Forest. Both within such a short distance I wouldn't bother to consider fuel. For your lack of such access, you do have my sympathy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is so correct!

Formal educations means the trial and error is removed from hunting, which benefits the animal.
Formal education is also needed for shooting handguns. Properly trained you are a better shooter and your fellow shooters are safe.
We have different filosophy from across the Atlantic when it comes to most things, driver permits, gun permits, fishing permits?

Gun permits? What are those?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Obviously trying to find a button Santa.

Having done a couple years as a pro I am selective about what I do now. I'm lucky that given my rural location and having built a reputation over the years amongst other landowners I'm not short of opportunity here. I'm blessed with friends far and wide with which I share this passion. So when I fancy something a bit more exotic I hop on a plane. Couple times in the last few months.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Obviously trying to find a button Santa.

Having done a couple years as a pro I am selective about what I do now. I'm lucky that given my rural location and having built a reputation over the years amongst other landowners I'm not short of opportunity here. I'm blessed with friends far and wide with which I share this passion. So when I fancy something a bit more exotic I hop on a plane. Couple times in the last few months.

No, not trying to find a button. I've already said I don't consider you a fraud; meaning I recognize your "experience" and respect that. It's those "formal qualifications" I find needless at best, dubious at worst.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE