The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm quite lucky.
I have two jobs (don't feel sorry for me, it's not because I have to work all hours God sends to make ends meet. It's because it suits me) - one for the NHS and the other as a freelance writer.
This means I have flexibility with my time.
Today I was up about 6.30, as I regularly am, and in a moment's whimsy I decided to go out early for a walk.
Because I can.
Right now, having walked a few miles already, I'm taking a breather on a south facing slope of the north downs. There's a nice breeze, which is steadily increasing. I'm watching the striped shadows of the clouds skip across the valley, and the world is silent, save for a pair of chaffinchs doing their guinea pig like squeaks.
I'm lucky I can do this, and not worry about the time, when for many it is the height of rush hour.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Went into town with my friend to do some shopping for things that are cheaper than our local store, and we both needed underwear. So off we go to tesco.
Got all we needed, plus I found a long dress for a fiver, I don't have many dresses, but this is a long cotton one, and it's perfect, apart from colour, exactly the same design as one I had in the 70's which I grew out of years ago. I can pretend I'm 18 again...until I look in the mirror, but who cares if I'm two sizes bigger and more wrinkled, it makes me feel like a young girl again. Got some brushed cotton pj's too, and I'm treating myself to a Thai Red curry tonight with fresh ingredients instead of tinned. The sun is shining, and I feel happy.
oddly, I feel this dress is telling me something.
You've been here before, and you got through hard times, so be happy and keep going with a happy heart.
So I will trust that it will be OK, and I'm not going to stress anymore about things. It is what it is. Just gonna get on with living as good a life as possible.
Life is good today, so enjoy it.
Ooh, getting all filisofical, :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
For me I have a daily shot of positivity in the morning... wife and I both have to get up at the a** crack of dawn (not fun when it's for work), and we stumble around in a half daze getting ready, then I look over to the doggo who is flat in her bed, I catch her peeking eye and her tail starts going flat out... she stops, I sit at the end of the bed, put my socks on and just say "good morning" to her and it starts up again, turbo charged wagging. Then my wife who is getting ready says hello to her and she gets the same treatment...

It's funny because at night time when she hops into bed, you talk to her and no tail wag 99% of the time. You can tell she's done for the day and wants to sleep.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sunny warm day. Got some major garden jobs done. Topped up the sun tan a bit.
My friend has baked her first ever gluten free cake, so I'm off for tea and cake in her garden. I shall have to have a game of tug with my namesake dog, and hopefully, I will survive the cake. :)
Nothing better than tea and cake in the sun while watching a crazy dog chase flies and have the zoomies.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Heard my first stag roar of the season this evening while out picking blackberries, with acorns raining down on my head. Crunching through beech mast that wasn't there yesterday. Squirrels are busy as anything.
Definatly feels like the season has changed overnight almost.

Reactions: Broch

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I think the local Farmers where I live are all agreeing with the title of this thread..The last week of July was my Birthday and I remember thinking, " It's weeks since we had any measurable rain".. Well a few hours ago it actually rained here. Rain that bounced when it landed!!..One of those little patches..what are they called? Ah! I remember, a puddle! I see one has formed outside and I can almost hear the trees in the wood out the back sighing with relief. :)

• Haha
Reactions: swyn

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sat in my neighbour's kitchen with a cuppa. We had the back door open and enjoyed the cool of the rain outside. Neither of us much enjoyed the recent heatwave, this afternoon was a pleasure.
Her pear trees are drooping with fruit and we were both eyeing them up and wondering when to best harvest....and then a blasted squirrel ran along the top of the 2m high fence, dived down into the tree, nipped off a pear as neat as you like and bounded away with all the energy and delight of a gleeful child in a sweetie shop ! The pear was bigger than it's head, heaven knows how it hung onto it to run away like that. It looked so totally cartoonish as it bounded along the top of the fence.

Laughter's the best medicine :) and we did laugh.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The garden has had a soaking overnight, and while I'm watching the moon rise , outside my front door, another neighbour brings out the cutest 10 week old puppy. Oh my goodness, it's so sweet, had a little gooey cuddle. Set for whatever tomorrow throws at me now.
Dog cuddles make everything right.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We've got several species of butterflies which over winter as adults. Mate in the spring, all the caterpillar stages, pupation and then again crisp, fresh adults in September. Lots of them bouncing around the past few days.

Absolutely wild slashing rain/thunder/lightning storm 9PM just at dark last night. Lasted 3-4 hours from the WX station data today. I enjoy watching those until the total power failure made me head for early bed. I enjoyed the lie-in, dozing part 8-9AM this morning.

Reactions: nigelp

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got a last minute BBQ invite from parents. They're clearing out their stock of BBQ food due to a holiday and changing seasons that's due. Beer and BBQ after first day back at work from our last holiday until Xmas. It didn't look like a good day until the invite. Free food cheers the mood especially when the cook is as good as my qaqparents (mostly my dad, well you're bound to get good at it if you like it as much as him).

The seasons changing for sure and that's a good thing imho. Time for new. Yesterday I thought I had better dig out the bike lights for my commute. This morning it was a lot darker but I've still not found my lights. Good job the train was cancelled and I'm now traveling half hour later in the light. It even works out great with a cancelled train.

Life is good

Reactions: Broch

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friends visited! (Time travel is so hard. I cannot expect my family to do this...)

We had a meal out, then visited the Crannog Centre so I got to play at being a visitor.

(Memo; must make masks for museum axes as they are handed around at random...and they are sharp...)

We then went on a Highland road trip, saw some great scenery.

Isnt Scottish Heritage a good thing to have? I must get myself some more.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have been gently prodding the owners of the properties I look after to make the CH, and other water heating systems more efficient. Thus saving money and possible rent increases…..
On the back of this I have just finished ‘upgrading’ an elderly CH system in a HMO (house of multiple occupation) fitting new thermostatic radiator valves.
The occupants can now control their own heat demands without simply opening a window and all the waste this results in.
Another is fitting time-clocks to ‘Fortic’ hot water cylinders, bringing the electricity used down from 24/7 to only two hours a day!:oops: For those on a red meter key it makes and will make a massive difference.
S

Reactions: TeeDee

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
"Isn't life great"

Well, the forecast looks like I might be in bed and asleep before midnight for the first time in heavens knows how long, so I'm feeling really great about that!!

Might even go all rockstar and have a cup of chamomile tea :roflmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE