Thai Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I have plenty of material lying around mostly ultra lightweight spinnaker ripstop that I use for traction kites, all coated unfortunately, but Ive also got some heavyweight polyester that Ive never found a use for so I think I'll turn it into a hammock. Only problem is it'll run to about a a Kilo once its made up which isnt exactly lightweight!

I have a couple of questions though, why the envelope shape? Isnt the middle seam likely to be a weakness (Im assuming you lie inside the envelope)? Also, the Bushcraft plan leaves the cloth on the open edge of the envelope unfinished which might be a weakness long term, I tend to use a double french seam everywhere for this kind of thing for max strength and no unfinished or exposed edges. Also why use webbing for the end loops, wouldnt rope do just as well?

A quick web search turned up this design amongst others:-

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/hammock/hammock.htm

It looks like a simpler version with no compromises that I can see compared to the design above except for the omission of webbing reinforcements at the ends which I would probably add.

Id appreciate comments on the two designs from users/makers though before I get my old treadle out.

Also, has anybody made a string hammock? How easy was it to make, and any good plans? I had a lightweight commercial one years ago and it started falling apart after about two nights use!

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Maybe worth adding, choose your thread carefully! These style hammocks appear to put a lot of strain on the stitching.

Cotton is obviously a no no and for max strength bonded nylon or polyester upholstery thread is the best but this stuff is quite abrasive, it'll eventually saw through the guides on modern domestic machines if they will sew properly with it at all, it can be lubed with silicon spray though.

Jason

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
jason01 said:
I have a couple of questions though, why the envelope shape? Isnt the middle seam likely to be a weakness (Im assuming you lie inside the envelope)?

I assume this is somewhere you can put some insulation (ie thermarest) if it's cold.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Stew said:
jason01 said:
I have a couple of questions though, why the envelope shape? Isnt the middle seam likely to be a weakness (Im assuming you lie inside the envelope)?

I assume this is somewhere you can put some insulation (ie thermarest) if it's cold.

Ahhhhh I see! Thanks Stew, so you dont lie inside the envelope but the hammock is double thickness, I did wonder if that could be it but I dont see why you cant place a mat on top of a single layer hammock.

Jason

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You can sleep on it or in it (helps keep the bugs off). You can even make the top layer from midge netting!
Ahh! yes buy the Hennesy (much easier)
You can buy a gas lighter to light your fires, but the sense of achievment of lighting a fire by friction is almost beyond words.
The same holds true with making your own kit, something you have made (or designed, or both) that you can use in the field is a great feeling, its adds to that feeling of independence in the outdoors. Why settle for someone elses design, they are not you, they do not know what your exact needs are.
My knife sheath, leather possibles bag, ventile smock, hammock, stove bag, mesh compression bag and rucksack carry system (15-150ltrs) are all homemade, they all function as I want them to, have the pockets I need (where I want them) and its all in the colours I want.
And then theres the money you save - what I saved on my smock (£130) I spent on a new Mountain Equipment military sleeping bag and a new swanni (surely thats enough incentive in itself).
Neil1

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I completely agree with you Neil!

Just looking for a bit of help understanding different aspects of the design so I can decide how best to make my own. The cloth Im planning to use for my first one is quite heavy so I wouldnt really want to double it, and its not big enough to double up anyway :)

Im afraid I dont do clothes though, Im reasonbly good with my old man powered Singers but I know my limits ;)

Jason

Mar 2, 2004
decided to give it a go ,so i went to a fabric shop here in lurgan and discovered an alladins cave of materiels, from camoflaged dpm cotton and waterproof olive colored materiel to make bashas from.even eyelets for guy lines :-D

so i bought some black taffeta and some black mesh like materiel to form a mosquito proof hammock.a couple of hours later with the help of my moms sewing machine i had a smashing home made thai hammock.i also discovered the possibilities a sewing machine opens up!

i can make my own basha and hammock for under 20 quid :-D
ps the taffeta comes in different weights so i made a single skin one to start with.

there seems to be a lot of loose materiel at the sides though and im wondering if you slightly rounded the line of stitching at the load bearing ends would this tighten up the edges and eradicate the posibility of rolling over and falling out? perhaps i,ll break out the sewing machine again and try it.

Mar 2, 2004
the materiel was 65 inches m8 so i just made it that width.im going to try the arc effect stitching tomorrow to see if it encloses it slightly.

one other defect i noticed...one side is about three inches longer than the other and you definitly feel like falling toward that shorter side.it was a rush job im afraid but easily remedied i think.i,ll fix it and post a pic and review :-D

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
the naughty boy said:
the materiel was 65 inches m8 so i just made it that width.im going to try the arc effect stitching tomorrow to see if it encloses it slightly.

one other defect i noticed...one side is about three inches longer than the other and you definitly feel like falling toward that shorter side.it was a rush job im afraid but easily remedied i think.i,ll fix it and post a pic and review :-D

Thats quite wide about 165cm, I was thinking Id make mine about 120cm.

Look forward to the review :)

Mar 2, 2004
whats pertex?
i used the same stuff they use for the propod which is taffeta,but if you ask the shopkeeper about weights and strengths of fabrics im sure youll find the ideal one for you.

mine rolls up incredibly small and compact.

dont forget also that you dont need dedicated mosquito netting either. i got this very strong but almost transparent materiel that even the smallest midge couldnt squeeze through. both materiels are in black.could have gotten green ,red or any of a huge range of colors.

Mar 2, 2004
i thought you were supposed to be able to breath through the fabric in case of suffocation?
whats the hennessy spec then?does it tell what its made from anywhere?

the pro pod looks very like the mears eco thingy, but at least half the money. and it uses taffeta.

did i say i can get basha like materiel too,and dpm cloth in three patterns too?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Point North is where I was looking as they have it in their specials section, no one has against it so I may just have to buy a few meters to give it a go, looks light weight and fairly strong (needs to be to support my weight... :oops: )

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
i thought you were supposed to be able to breath through the fabric in case of suffocation?
oooops :oops: I forgot to mention its breathable....

whats the hennessy spec then?does it tell what its made from anywhere?
The expedition asym has a 210 D oxford weave nylon base and the ultrlight had a 70D nylon taffeta with a 160 x 90 high thread count which makes it strong.

You can check on the hennessy specs here ;-)
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm#

:)
Ed

Mar 2, 2004
cheers ed.
but when you mean breathable do you mean like gortex or that you can actually breath through the materiel as you can with taffeta?know what i mean?
i wouldnt fancy my bivvy bag being sealed and relying on its breathability.
when i was in the shop i put the materiels over my mouth and assesed whether i could breath through it.
also when i was trying mine out i rolled over onto my front and found my face pressed right up against the materiel because of the shape of the hammock.try it yourself if you can ,to see what i mean.smothering is such an inconvenience i find :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE