Thai Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has made and used the Thai hammock over in the diy section, if so what do you think of it, does it do the job or do you need to spend lots on one of the named designs to get a decent nights sleep?
Cheers
David

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
They work very well and I know several people who use them all the time, in fact two other forum users are among them.
I noticed Trekdirect are selling exactly the same item for £20-£25.
They work well because they are so simple, to make and use.
Neil1

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Neil1 said:
They work very well
Thats all I needed to know thanks, I think even my sewing (un)skills can cope with that design, but I'll leave the jacket to my wife's very capable hands!
Thanks
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Got 5m of dpm lightweight ripstop nylon for a grand total of £5 from a shop called somthing like 'the £1 a yard fabric shop' in Dewsbury today, just got to pick up some webbing tomorrow and I'll have a bargain Thai Hammock, just need to figure out an equally bargain tarp to go over it!
Cheers
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Neil1 said:
Make sure the nylons not proofed?
Neil1
Definatly not proffed, but thanks for the critical safety reminder. Sticking it over my mouth I could breath through it without any problem so no sufforcation problems there!
Cheers
David

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
just need to figure out an equally bargain tarp to go over it!
Are you going to make your own? Check out the pattern on the Hennassy Safari Delux. Its massive and hexagonal, you can get them for about £35+P&P from hennassy but its a good shape if you don't want a seam running down the centre/ridge line.

:)
Ed

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Ed said:
just need to figure out an equally bargain tarp to go over it!
Are you going to make your own? Check out the pattern on the Hennassy Safari Delux. Its massive and hexagonal, you can get them for about £35+P&P from hennassy but its a good shape if you don't want a seam running down the centre/ridge line.

:)
Ed
Looks good, thanks for the tip.
David

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I don't think I'd ever get to the point of trusting my sewing enough for that!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Adi007 said:
I don't think I'd ever get to the point of trusting my sewing enough for that!
My sewing skills are zero but my wife is a first rate seamstress (has been known to make pure silk wedding dresses for fun!) She says it will be a good project to teach me the basics on, and shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
If you can find someone who can sew ask for a lesson!
David

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi David,

Have you attempted the Thai Hammock? I have to date assembled 3 on a domestic sewing machine, and it was the first time that I had used one. Neil's design is very easy to follow.
And yes it is very comfortable. :)

All The Best

Nigel

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Nigel said:
Hi David,

Have you attempted the Thai Hammock? I have to date assembled 3 on a domestic sewing machine, and it was the first time that I had used one. Neil's design is very easy to follow.
And yes it is very comfortable. :)

All The Best

Nigel
Yep,
For less than a tenner which the supplies cost me it can't be beaten!
Cheers
David

Mar 2, 2004
im v.interested in a hammock but couldnt be bothered running about looking for the materiels, are they just the same as hennesy type ones and are they big enough for a big boy like me,15 stone and over 6 ft?

if someone makes me one i will pay them.

pm me ,go on dont be shy :wink:

leon-1

The thai hammock is used quite extensively in the military (Jungle warfare Long Range Patrols and Jungle warfare Instructors). There are some quite large lads there also.

As long as the materials that you use are upto scratch then there should be no problem. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE