Tents / tarps / bivis etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I have just been on my first foray by way of a week long course. I had to get my own bivi and was loaned a tarp. It was pretty small - about 5 x 7 feet I reckon (a Highlander one I think) but I liked the principle and then started thinking about getting a 3x3m. Then it occurred to me that in high summer a bivi/tarp is not going to give much protection from insects. I bought a head net for £1.50 (which was a good idea I think) but if it is hot I can imagine lying outside the bivi and sleeping bag - a good feast for mosi's and midges; a full size net would be an idea. In bad weather it is also going to be a bit of a game.
A friend of mine has a hammock with a built in net which is quite good though in the cold not much fun unless you take a heavy insulating blanket with it...
So then I started thinking why not just get a tent?
A 2 man tent can be had for a reasonable price and about 2kg in weight. I would not need a bivi, tarp or mosi net and could possible take a smaller sleeping bag. Pack weight about the same.
Easy to put up, pack goes inside as well, insect protection, no messing about if it starts raining, no wind howling through if that starts as well...
It seems an easier option; am I missing something here?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
are you missing something yes and no cos yes your not wrong about the extras you have to take for using a tarp but its the advantages it gives you that make it all worth while and they are that you can have great view, arnt shut up inside a small space if its raining and normally if you get the right size you will have a big admin area. now in regars mosi' you just a need a proper mosi net and you lay the bottom of mosi sides undre the sides of the sleeping bag then it doesnt matter whether
u sleep on top or inside cos its you wait that keep the mosi net in place.

now i hope that makes sense and you can see what i mean

drew

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
A hammock with a sleeping bag will be plenty warm,as long as you set it right so your not slung below the tarps wind cover

rg598

Native
I think there are two reasons people use a tarp and bivi set up (including me) over a tent.

The first is that it lets you be part of the woods. You are not enclosed in a small room while camping. I used to use a tent a long time ago, but it used to bother me a lot when I would hear something near the tent, but I could not just look in the direction and see.

The second reason is the versatility. Keep in mind, your shelter will probably be used for more than just sleeping. Like it was mentioned above, if you have a rainy day, it is a lot better to spend it under a 3x3 tarp where you can do work, cook, etc. rather than be stuck in a tent. Also, in locations where you can’t set up a tarp, or there isn’t enough level grounds for a tent, you can still pull out the bivi and be dry during the night.

As far as insects, I just put up with them. I guess it depends on what level of comfort you expect and what you want to get out of the experience. Many people here go into the woods because they want to experience them, not because it is easier in any way. The reason why people start fire with a bow drill instead of a lighter is not because it is easier, but because it lets them connect to the environment. A tarp provides that same emersion. If on the other hand you are not after the same thing it may just make sense to get a tent.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I like your reply rg598.
Maybe for a new thread but anyone got any experience of the dirt cheap woven PE tarps from Machinemart?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
yes a pile of rubbish now remember as with most things you get what you pay for now the best one for reasonably cheep is DD Hammocks 3 by 4.5 yes i know they do a smaller one but if you want the true advantahes i listed above you need the bigger tarp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE