Tell us about your perfect bushcraft moments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
wasnt strictly bushcraft but i was once camping whilst at uni with a load of lads in the new forest after several ciders i went to answer the call of nature threw up got lost from the camp and passed out. Woke up under an oak in the sun with loads of caterpillars hanging on silk threads glowing in the sunlight all of a sudden i was sober cold but somewhat enlightened.

a similar experience i also woke up with a deer in front of me again very mystical and soul warming.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Of a long list, the one that always comes back to me is sleeping in a bivi bag in the black mountains, close to the summit of Pen y Gadair Fawr. Waking in the middle of the silent to total, absolute silence. Not a breath of wind, no traffic noise, no owls, just silence. When I listened hard I eventually heard the tiniest rhythmic rustling, which turned out to be the movement of my head against the fabric of the bivi hood, caused by my pulse.

Then I opened my eyes, to a cloudless night sky, with stars ablaze across my view.

It was, in a word, perfect.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have to say one of my best moments was settling down by the fire for the night in a small wood nr Brecon
Everyone had gone to bed and it was about 1am...as I lay in my sleeping bag just staring into the flames of the fire I saw movement on the other side no more than 20yds away..it was a fox and he had seen me but he just stopped and stood there...we stared at each other for what seemed like an age..I didn't move or try to get my camera in case I scared him off...eventually though something else spooked him and he ran off into the darkness!

Another good memory was in Scotland, I was on my last ever Exercise with the Army..it was an Evasion & Survival exercise for prone to capture troops and I was there as a DS (Member of the training team)...It was October & the location was Applecross & Rothsay and at the time I was playing the role of contact agent for the lads who were out in the wilds carrying out the Evasion part of the exercise.
So there I was, sat down with my back resting up against a trig point pillar at midnight waiting for the lads to come out of hiding and make contact so I could give them a potato and a couple of oxo cubes (The joys of being on the training team) and send them on their way to their next check point...when from nowhere an entire herd of Red Deer came running past me on either side of the trig point...there must have been at least 20-30 of them and being rutting season I won't deny it I was a little nervous to say the least...but hey how many times in your life time would you experience that...it was amazing and a memory that'll stay embedded in the grey matter for ever :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If a picture paints a thousand words,
Then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show the you I've come to know.
If a face could launch a thousand ships,
Then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you,
You're all that's left me too.
And when my love for life is running dry,
You come and pour yourself on me.
. .

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
One of my favorites was the first time I was able to make fire using the bow drill method in 1988- after two hours of blisters, frustration and many failed attempts, getting to a smoking ember and then flame was priceless.

A close second was being able to teach this skill to my daughter, 25 years later.

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Mine has to be something one of my scouts said after the troop had slept out in shelters for the first time. It was the morning after and they were all sitting quietly around the fire. He stared into the flames and said:

"I woke up really early this morning but I didn't mind, I just lay and looked up at the tree tops swaying and listened to the birds singing, it was actually kinda cool"

I hoped he would remember that moment for the rest of his life.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Most of my special moments have to do with animal sightings. Like walking through a city and suddenly the noise disappears and you hear the cry of the swifts high above. The roe deer that doesn't run away and you stand there watching each other... Those moments when you feel a deep connection to nature.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the nature front I was way out on the edge of the estate I used to work on in a wood not visited by humans very often. Quite a wild and lush place and I was doing cropping samples. I saw two doe roe deer grazing in a ride. The wind was in my favour so I decided to see how close I could get, very slowly creeping forward, stopping as they took turns to lift their heads and look around. I eventually made it right up to the deer (stifling the giggles) and gently laid a hand on each animals back. (Stupid really as they could've kicked me). Well the look on their faces as their heads shot up and saw me there with hands on. They were frozen for about 3-4 seconds then took off like scalded cats through the woods. Between that and animals coming close to me as I'm still or hidden is great, especially the more "expressive" animals like red squirrels who have this confused indignant face that you are so near.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE