Tell us about your perfect bushcraft moments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 6, 2013
Bristol
Hi Everyone,
It was my birthday yesterday and I just want to ask everyone if they ever had a similarly divine experience? It was the bank holiday and it went as follows:

Friday evening: A wander in the local water meadows where we picked wild garlic and watched the sun go down

Saturday day: A wander in the local nature reserve where we saw a roe deer doe still in her winter coat running skittishly through the trees

Sunday day: An organic lunch at a co-operative arts community where we visited our favourite leather craftsman and the most skilled stone carver I have ever seen - a master carver in any other century. Then a forest walk during golden hour, flower and tree identification reccie and bushcraft playtime in the Forest Of Dean until the sun set.

Monday day: A day spent on our Canadian canoe of blazing sun and cornflower blue sky with wispy white clouds. We travelled up the Somersetshire and Coal and Kennet and Avon Canal between Dundas Basin and Avoncliff - one of the most beautiful and magical places in England - especially at dusk.

Fantastic!!!

Sylvia

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
My best woodland moments are unrepeatable :p but for wilding it, I'd have to go years back to touring Ireland and Wales in an old forward control landrover, stripwashing in a remote Welsh spring stream up a hill at sunset.... best bathing veiw EVER :)

Welcome to the forum, Sylvia! Sounds like an absolutely heavenly birthday weekend, many happy returns to you :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Last weekend, in the middle of the night, a hedgehog was snuffling about under my hammock while I stared at the stars. That was pretty special. :)

Welcome to BCUK!

Teachin a lad with severe epilepsy and brain damage to light a fire using a spark stick was pretty special.
So was gettin a lad with cerebral palsy over a rope bridge he had helped make (that took four of us)

Waking up in minus fifteen temps with ice on my sleeping bag was special too.

Most special is taking my son for a walk in woods and watching him discover the trees (he hugs them) and then havin to lift him up as high as possible so he can sit on a branch

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Most memorable for me was in 1983/4ish,sitting around a fire with my section having a brew and a smoke, early winters morning,cold and beautiful morning in the Brecons. One of my team, a lad called Watson stuck his hand in his ammo pouch looking for a pair of fresh socks, only to discover someone had took a poo in said pouch. The howl and the look on his face was absolutely hilarious, i was rolling around with tears streaming down my face. Disgusting i know but really funny. Stopped him biting his nails anyway :)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes, straight line walks through woods and fields in Wiltshire with the infants and unexpected encounters like the tractor driver who gave us a lift through a long boggy patch. Magical to the four year old, the wildwood AND a tractor ride. Solo magic was up on top of Oldbury Castle resting after walking there and around in the very late Summer sun. End of the afternoon watching the shadows of the clouds chasing each other across to Windmill Hill, Avebury, and onto the Downs of the Ridgeway where I would be following them.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
For me there was a single moment on a recent trip to Estonia. We were camping at oandu, I have my little camp set up, fire blazing away that I had started using a Ferro rod for the first time and the view was amazing!!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Watching my boys success with skills my dad showed me and the look of pure joy on there faces

And sitting by the fire in the dead of night in any random woodland and having a feeling of complete peace and reflection .
I've always enjoyed being out but now my little men join me I can honestly say I find it hard to compare there's nothing I enjoy more .

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not really a Bushcraft moment, but back when I could still climb I'd spent a glorious sunny day clambering over the Cuillin Ridge with a mate, come down to a midge free Glen Brittle campsite got the BBQ on. The only clouds in the blue sky of Skye were an inversion around the Ridge as I stood in the water up to my knees flying my kite and watching a dolphin pod play in the bay. It's one of those go to memories of peace when it's all going wrong.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I'm with Mr Fenna on this..first fire by friction. After that, first fire by friction in around 1hr having wandered into the woods with only my edc sak and a folding saw. The more I reflect, the more I think of, so I'm going to stop there...!

May 9, 2013
Kearsley UK
Had quite a lot, most involving fire, this one happened twenty five years ago and involved a little chap with poor eyesight and big feet. After a hard days walk I tucked myself into my sleeping bag and zipped up the tent, leaving my Rucksack and a pot of cheese under the fly sheet. I quickly nodded off but was later woken up by a scrabbling sound just inches away from my head. I listened until it stopped, then went back to sleep only to find the following day that Mr Mole had been in the night and eaten all the cheese. He left a perfectly formed hill inside the tent porch and a very clean dish. Has anyone ever eaten a MOLE...?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
in the UK I have 2

Waking up early on a bow making course, taking a wander to the edge of the wood to find some bits for the fire. Pausing for a moment on the gate to the field and spotting a fallow deer and 2 fawns sun bathing in the early morning light about 2 metres away. I stood motionless for over ten minutes not daring to try and get my camera out.

The next was waking up at the head of Haweswater after spending the night there. I could see all the sheep had come off the top of the moor and the weather was blowing up to a storm. But just sitting there enjoying my porridge, the peace and my own company was strangely euphoric, even though I new I had a slog ahead of me which was going to be very wet.

But my trump card would be waking up on the edge of a lake high up in British Columbia and watching the mountains glow and the mist roll in at sunrise with SWMBO. We were a small group of 7 on a chain of lakes that can only be reached by float plane. Hundreds of square miles and no other humans.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Mine was bushcrafting in Thailand, I was sat so still ( meditating on my surroundings ) a wild deer walked within touching distance, looked at me and just slowly walked away. Still remember it like yesterday, even though it's 10 year ago.

Rev G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE