telescopic fishing rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Can any of you fishing guys recomend a good telescopic rod and reel.
It must pack small but be a quality item as only want to buy once.
I want to use mainly on the odd canoe trip to various lochs and on small local rivers.
Had a look at the one on the woodlore site but a bit out of my range (160 quid) but does look quality to my untrained eye.
Just want to learn to catch a few trout etc when away.
Regards Soloman.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Have a look at the Shimano Travel rods, very good, I've used a four piece Shakespeare Ariel Travel rod for years, carrying it with me abroad and on walks along the canal, good little rod which I carry in my backpack.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve got an "Instant Fisherman"

They used to be advertised on BSB in the early 90s

It a pile of carp really but it folds down to about 10" ready to go. Casting range is limited to about 30yds but it`s a good laugh. I`ve even had quite a few free meals from it ;)

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hello, thisis theshimano rod; www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=4&ModelID=15845

Also abu garcia do some good ones, i picked a couple up off of ebay for about a tenner each and they are brilliant, good for a bit of everything.

Oh here is the shimano pack with a reel included.www.poingdestres.co.uk/3434/Shimano-Limited-Edition-Mini-Telescopic-Spin-Travel-Combo.html?referrer=froogle They are very nice....... i was frog marched away from the guy selling them at evesham angling festival before i could get my wallet out!

If you are jut going to fish from a canoe try an ice rod i use one of these for kayak fishing (unless spinning which i usemy 5ft abu tele with trigger on) ; cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLADEN-MAXXIMUS-ICE-PIKE-FISHING-ROD-CARBON-KAYAK-ROD_W0QQitemZ260354226717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item260354226717&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

My advice is go for the shimano combo pack, the reel is excellent, you wont go wrong with them ( and cheaper than woodlore too )

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi mate,

This (for a change) is something I feel fairly confident about commenting on. Me and my best buddy bought very basic telescopic carp rods from bankside tackle in Ewell a good few years ago now (they are no name rods - but made from carbon) they were less than 20 quid. I use a tiny little zebco alloy spooled reel with it again less than 20 quid (more years ago than i care to remember). This setup has caught fish from trout through to small carp and pike.

Can't speak highly enough of them. The handle is hollow and has a screw cap so you can keep some basic tackle in them as well.

I have some extremely expensive fox travel carp rods, for going away with, but if I am honest they are no better than the cheapie telescopic rods.

Upshot of all this, is go to your local tackle shop and see what they have, don't spend the earth and have a go.

Chris

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Lidl are doing great telescopic kits right now !! get down there mate, they are real value for money kits.

Good luck and tight lines.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Have a look at the Shimano Travel rods, very good, I've used a four piece Shakespeare Ariel Travel rod for years, carrying it with me abroad and on walks along the canal, good little rod which I carry in my backpack.

I used to stock them and can safely say they are a lightweight and very durable backpacking rod the problem with a lot of the cheap telescopic rods are in a word crap

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
.........Had a look at the one on the woodlore site .........

That's a Shimano Exage rod (mentioned in another eply), well known to be good.

As for my own experience, I have a 4-part 240 cm spinning rod from Cormoran that does very wel. But, it will stow away larger then the Shimano telescopic ones.

The whole package at the woodlore site is top knotch (expensive reel and line also), if you just go for the rod and have a good shop sort out the rest (reel, line, odds 'n ends) you'll probably end up cheaper.

On second thoughts, go to a well sorted shop ANYWAY. You really need the advice from an experienced angler/shop owner to get the gear that suits your needs.
For instance: the set on Woodlore is ultra light, in weight as wel as in power - which means I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 90 cm pike on that rod, and I'm an angler. In untrained hands it might break. For trout, it seems to be quite right though. But what if you nick that big pike in the lips?

Also: as I've said before in another thread: with experience, you can counter the defects of your material. For instance, an angler could use a cheap/badly designed/heavy/clumsy rod and still cast out far enough to where the fish are. If you are inexperienced, you might want to invest a bit more so the quality material will work with you.

I can't comment on the Lidl rods since I live in Holland and we have other offers right now.
So, either go shopping with an angling friend at Lidl or visit yer local tackleshop.

Tight lines!

Thijs

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
got the Lidl rods several years ago not bad rods/reels for the money.

first thing to do throw away line and buy some good stuff at your local shop.

clean and dry all metal fittings after use to prevent rust,lubricate reel espically bail arm rotor to improve performance.

hovever remember it is a budget set so do not expect it to last for years. look on the webb there a lots of forums to give good advice on technique as i do not know how you wish to fish or even try utube.

let us know how you get along

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Got a couple of Penrods as they pop in a bergen pocket with the reel. They are cheap which makes me cheerful and they are really good.
I have used mine from a canoe and caught several fish,I think the biggest was about three pound.They come up on grabitnow.com for £8.74 for the outfit.
I have done all the mega expensive kit and sold it all. Truth is it doesn't make you catch more and for the prices you could replace a cheapy several times over,although I have never had to replace any of mine yet.
That includes one of the Lidl outfits bought in France about 5 years ago,and not had a single problem.

As Sainty said ,most tackle is designed to catch the fisherman,not the fish ;)

GS

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for the advice guys.
Ive bought one of the shimano ones from my local gun/tackle shop,good advice and a bit discount to.
Hope my first efforts are better than my first sea fishing caper, i caught a seagull.
Tastes like chicken ill bet.
Soloman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE