teenage bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dozens :D
There are quite a lot of them on the forum too.
Some will most likely be along to add to the thread.

Why ? Is it proving to be an issue or would you just like some age relevant company ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey Dude, I started on this forum when I was early teens, it's a great place and everyone is really friendly. If there is ANYTHING you need to know just post a question and you'll probably get a reply within seconds :D anyway onto your question. Pretty much everything the adults do, we can do too! :D (to an extent) obviously we can't do some of the really skilled work (well I suppose we could if we had the time or money but I'm guessing your still at school like me and find you dont have an awful lot of time on your hands to get into leatherwork or welding) but we can do all the usual stuff, camping (obviously) if you get your self a knife, even SAK are great, then you can try your hand at carving something I've done a lot of whilst sat in the woods. You could also try firelighting, learn to light fires using methods other than a lighter/matches, it can be hard work but you get a great feeling of satisfaction once you've accomplished it. Once you've got the fire going you could also try bush cooking, take some ingredients out and make yourself something simple like a bannock or something like that for your first try. If you are near a local patch of woodland get down there and just have a look around, try camping out with a few mates just so you get the feel of it, both tents and hammocks :D then you could try making your own natural shelter (using mostly dead stuff you can find around you. Try to keep cutting down living trees to a minimum)

I've got loads more but I'll leave some for everyone else :p if you want to chat or ask me anything else mate just give me a PM,

Cheers

Jordan

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Try and learn as much as you can about trees and plants. Each tree has different uses, burns at different temperature and provides timber for different uses, for example Ash is good for tool handles and burns hot and well seasoned or green and birch burns well, is easy to carve and provides excellent tinder. Start by trying to identify them when ever possible.Edible plants are useful too know too and you never stop learning. Practice everything as practice makes perfect. Ask you parents if you can practice your firecraft in the hearth or a spot in the garden.
Jordan provides you with some good advice above, too.

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
Im still in my teens myself. I got into bushcraft after joining my scout troop aged 10 and been going ever since. Bushcraft doesnt have an age limit and should be enjoyed by everyone. Practise is the key, get yourself a good knife and start with basic carving and fire lighting. If you enjoy it, then look around these forums for something that take your fancy and try it!
Good luck to you starting your adventure.
Mike

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Congrats on choosing bushcraft! I started myself in my teens. The only problem was getting permission from a landowner, they did not seem to trust a 15 y/o lighting fires and camping?!?!

There are some great courses out there, but I agree one of the most important things is tree/ plant recognition. After you have learnt that, just chose from one of the many topics on the site and give it a go!

Have fun,
Ph34r

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hey, I also got into in my teens - I became interested in it at 16, and because I couldn't find anywhere to do it properly (I live on a farm but it's all arable and industrialised - useless!) I went on Woodsmoke's Junior Woodlander course, which was awesome because not only did I learn loads and have an amazing time, I met like-minded people, a couple of whom I'm still really good friends with and who I organise trips with.
I'm 18 now - it might be good to see what ages of people are around - a youths meet might be interesting :rolleyes:

Dec 22, 2009
dorking, surrey
hi im in my early teens and for wild camping i find a farley large public wood with not many paths this way you dont need to worry about getting caught
anyway its easier to apologise than get permission

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Hey its good to see that younger people are into bushcrafts too,it beath sniffin glue anytime,anyday.I was caught into the wilderness living ages ago,when my grandpa´s kept taking me with em to fishing,hunting,camping trips etc,and i joined the scouts when i was in age of seven,and since then ive been hooked on to this hobby,its more like way of life and direction.im 33 old now and Ive had few years when i wasnt so much in the woods as i was into motorcycles and racing cars but i became bored fast and returned to my beloved trails.Dont get upset by grown-ups who have variety of hi-end & hi-price gear,ever,as you can get along with cheaper used stuff as well,and collect your kit when your skills upgrade etc.When i joined the scouts,all i had was 20 yrs old worn puukko,a swiss knife with just about 5 blades,maybe it was 4,i cant remember....some small stainless billy can,made by my dad,from regular kitchenware,he just sawed off the handle and replaced it with bail,to hang it up on fire.Small compass,a used army blanket and really really old poncho.Back then hre you didnt even dream about firesteels,i can remember that some older guys had us airforce magnecium blocks with striking bars,but i never had those,until i was about 14 to 15 yrs old.But with those items,pair of rubber boots and fishing stuff,i got into my thing just fine.Its not about your age,the brand of your gear nor the experience,its never to late to start.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
There's a 14 year old named Herbs around our way who knows more than us old timers. He was at out "snow meet" in December, and his knowledge, skills and maturity were impressive! I believe he's a membe of this forum.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's a 14 year old named Herbs around our way who knows more than us old timers. He was at out "snow meet" in December, and his knowledge, skills and maturity were impressive! I believe he's a membe of this forum.

Yup, Herbz knows a lot and is a good lad :) and as Hertsboy says is a member on here as well.

All bushcraft is for teenagers. I started well before I reached my teens, and I was born in West Sussex. Spend time in the woods, construct some primitive shelters. Make spears and bows and arrows. Take some food with you, it tastes better in the woods!
Watch the wildlife, sit still and quiet and take notice of all about you. Learn the difference between good kindling for a hot fire and bad wood which is soft and rotten. Become a part of the woodland enviroment, you are just another animal.
Le Loup.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i started in the scouts moons ago, im now nearly thirty, didnt know it was called bushcraft till later though!!

get out there and enjoy, just be aware of knife law (depending on your age) and be sensible. dont overlook the need for things like a first aid kit, knife and fire safety. practice at home if your unsure, rather than cock it up and cause a forest fire.

read lots both on forums and in book, 2 books which i like are Mors Kochanski's book called Bushcraft which is available on amazon for a tenner and ray mears book essential bushcraft. not expensive and prob available in your local library for free anyway if your skint etc

Ray Mear Book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-B...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266824860&sr=8-3

Mors Kochanski
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-O...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266824889&sr=1-1-spell

enjoy, any questions just ask.

and its not about shiny shiny kit, you can bushcraft on a budget and make things so dont worry about havng to splash loads of cash, plenty of cheap good gear available!

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
indeed i learnt all mu bushcraft though the scouts and while im nowhere near as skilled as many here i certianly enjoy passing it on as a leader

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hey bud - I'm 22 now but started doing thing kind of thing when I was about 12.
(not camping out obviously - but all related stuff)

as said you can learn a great deal of stuff on here.

andy

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Hey im 14

And i agree with it bieng easy to apologise than getting permission philosophy.

Just stay out of trouble

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
The only difference between a teen and adult bushcrafter is the price of their knife.

Try to find someone to go out with and get as much dirt-time as you possibly can. If you have any questions just drop them here, it's one of the friendliest forums on the internet.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
buy your self a mora clipper combo deal,you get the mora clipper knife and a fire steel ,which makes sparks to start fires, some places are doing a deal for both for around the 13 pound mark,:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE