Teddy Tour to Dawkabottom Cave with EdS

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Met EdS in Threshfield at the Grassington turn off this morning and drove up past Kilnsey Crag, then left along the Arncliffe road to park below Sleets Gill bridge.
We followed Sleets Gill up passing the cave and onto the first plateau
01EdaboveSleetsGill.jpg

after another uphill slog on the level we passed a glacial erratic and let Teddy have a photo shoot
02Teddyglacialboulder.jpg

looking back after the next uphill at the erratic
03glaciallookingback.jpg

to find Dowkabottom cave we climbed the next rise to look down, as on the same level it's hard to find,
and found the cave and a circle SD 95128 68884
04downtoDarnrookcave.jpg

back down with Ed having a look into the cave
05EdatDarnbrookcave.jpg

before dinner mine home made bread with Blue Wensleydale and onion with a brew on a Swiss volcano
run on a Swiss alcohol gel stove which gave no problems. The pancake was another matter though.
It was that cold even with the gas inverted it would not get the cast iron frying pan hot enough to cook.Ed saved the day
with a multi-fuel primus running on panel wipe which was that hot it nearly burnt it
the next problem was the squeezey honey was frozen solid
06dinner.jpg

climbing back up the pillars on the horizon drew us on
07lookingtopillars.jpg

at the pillers and by now my freshly charged camera batteries gave up the ghost on changing them they were freezing cold
but the ones from my pocket were fine so kept camera inside jacket when not using
08atthepillars.jpg

and the view from them
09viewfrompillars.jpg

looking back on the pillars as we climbed higher
10pillarsleaving.jpg

and the view ahead
11goingup.jpg

here with some paper map work and some electronic map voodoo
we found an ancient track to follow back down to the motors
12oldtrackwaydown.jpg

with the final view up the dale towards Arncliffe
13backdownlookingupvalley.jpg

another great day out thanks Ed for the company and the pancake rescue
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

EdS

Dowkabottom/Dowkybottom/Dowkerbottom Cave (various spelling) has a long history of human use including 2 pre-Roman CAVE: Dowkabottom Cave.

Other bones found also include: Cattle, sheep, goat, horse, wild boar, red deer, roe deer, badger, fox, wolf, dog, water vole, bird bones.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=10259

There are also a number of enclosure and bits of settlement on the hill round there.

More photos to follow.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Great pics dan , the scenery is amazing mate, how was the volcano stove , i've got one but not used it yet ...

It worked great I was using one of these but no need for the pot support
(found post by using search)
Swiss Army stoves are designed to be used with the Notkocher 71 cooker. You can get them off fleabay for 1euro each. They are supplied in swiss ration packs.
notkocher.jpg

because after paying DHL freight for a stove from Germany I had a few kilos of weigh spare so made it up with a box of these at 1 euro each there usually £3:50 ish on e-bay. They are very efficient with the fire going around the cup kelly kettle'ish and work with twigs fir cones etc though messy with tarring up. I use a stainless Tatonka on meths most of the time lowering it down the chimney with a piece of stiff wire hooked inside and snuffing it with an empty small tuna tin lowered on also with the wire. Any small metal lid that will fit through the "door" will work to burn meths in and solid fuel tabs or hexamine work as do the pop or beer can meths stoves.I only use the bottle if I'm wanting to sterilize some water. So all in all I think they're a great lightweight versatile stove---- hope this helps to get yours lit !
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE