Teddie Bears Picnic in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
We're lucky to live in the shadow of the Malvern Hills which gives me around 3000 acres of Conservators land which has virtually unrestricted access. I'm also lucky to have a day off in the week whilst my wife works to look after the three kids (and now a forth on the way!). When the chores are done and her brothers are at school, my daughters and I will often just head off along the hills somewhere with the dogs to wander until its time to collect the boys from school. So I thought I'd post the daytime jaunt we did a couple of days before the snow arrived :)

2013-01-16 13.31.40.jpg

About a mile from our house is Park Wood. Its one of the less visited woods, but because the Conservators are trying to return it to it's historical state as a working coppice to feed the limekilns, one of the most beautiful.

2013-01-16 13.47.26.jpg

Dogs leading the way, both of them accidents on the local farm!

2013-01-16 13.48.54.jpg

Never too young to be in caharge of the dogs in our house, although our puppy has yet to work that out :rolleyes:

2013-01-16 14.00.49.jpg

Our stopping point for lunch. As you can see we've been left a fantastic table and bench. There has been a lot of clearance work and a lot of replanting in the last 18 months. We usually take our emberlit and use some of the discarded thinnings, but as it was so cold I opted for the jetboil to speed the hot food up (although the warm strawberry milkshake bought plenty of time).

2013-01-16 14.08.31.jpg

Had to make a place for Charlie Bear to, after all it wouldn't be a teddy bear picnic without one :)

2013-01-16 14.12.26.jpg

Sausage and beans, hot chocolate cake and sauce all gone, notice Marley and his ever hopeful face!

2013-01-16 14.16.47.jpg

The view outwards looking west. When the daylight is longer we'll all head up here after school has finished and you can watch the sun set through the trees.

2013-01-16 14.53.15.jpg

Heading home to pick up the boys after a long stroll.

2013-01-16 15.05.05.jpg

Rosey cheeked and shattered :) Now just her brothers to tire out now!

Thanks for letting me share our day.

Rich and Seren (Marley and Buster)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D
I miss having little ones about on days out; they grow up too quickly, but the memories are lovely :D

Thank you for sharing :cool:

cheers,
M

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ace buddy.

As Toddy said, they seem to grow up so quick, but those are they days that will stay with them forever. Mines old enough now to start spending the nights out.

Cant wait :)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how quick they fall asleep once they get in the car, I wish I could fall asleep like the little ones do!

Nice looking place to grow up and play. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Adventures in rugged foreign lands are all very nice occasionally, but days like yours with the little 'uns are the very best. :bigok:

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Cheers all for the nice replies, I worked too hard when her brothers were little so making sure I don't miss out any longer :)

Rich

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
They do grow up too fast! Seems only yesterday I was dragging my young daughter in a tent round folk festivals and Folk Camps where she learned whistles and fiddle, clog dancing and so on.

She's 32 now and organises folk festivals and she books me as a steward! Next one is Cheltenham in early February.

Feeling old,

Gareth

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
They do grow up too fast! Seems only yesterday I was dragging my young daughter in a tent round folk festivals and Folk Camps where she learned whistles and fiddle, clog dancing and so on.

She's 32 now and organises folk festivals and she books me as a steward! Next one is Cheltenham in early February.

Feeling old,

Gareth

Which one is it Gareth, if we're free we may have to come down : )

Rich

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I live in Worcester and no the basics of the hills reasonably well but I don't recognise any of that. What part of Malvern is that? Do you ever venture to have a stealth camp in that area?

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
I live in Worcester and no the basics of the hills reasonably well but I don't recognise any of that. What part of Malvern is that? Do you ever venture to have a stealth camp in that area?

Its on the west side of the hills below the West Malvern Road - it comes up under PArk Wood on the Malvern Hills Conservators website. I wouldn't of course stealth camp on their land, especially not well away from the public car parks and nearer the south end of the hills. The old hillfort and the woods below can be particularily nice, but if I ever did I would never have a fire as smoke signals often get looked for, and the majority of wardens live locally (some only a couple of doors away : ) )

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE