Teaching yourself axecraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Good idea, terrible idea?? Don't think I will have a slot anytime soon to attend a course so was thinking of trying to teach myself some of the skills of the axe, but it is a dangerous tool so is this a bad idea??
Thanks in advance
Will

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi Will, would you teach yourself how to drive or dentistry? Some things can be left to trial and error but you only make one error withan axe and you don't get hurt a little bit.
Is there a gardener near you?He will probably know how to use an axe .
How are you getting on with the saw I sent you?It's not brilliant but handy as a back up.

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I have seen some teach axe skills by having the participants swing from a kneeling position to begin with - prevents the edge coming within range of legs, etc. That's how my boys started - just a suggestion.

Forest

By the way - the shorter the handle the more dangerous the axe. Start off with a full size axe first - not a forest axe or hatchet.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have seen some teach axe skills by having the participants swing from a kneeling position to begin with - prevents the edge coming within range of legs, etc. That's how my boys started - just a suggestion.

Forest

By the way - the shorter the handle the more dangerous the axe. Start off with a full size axe first - not a forest axe or hatchet.

Thats how I teach the Scouts. Kneeling position, legs well out of the way, item to be chopped flat and secure on a secure chopping block!

If (more like when!) they miss, the worst that can happen is the axe embeds itself in the chopping block or floor.

If you are teaching yourself, make sure you stop when you are tired and have a good FAK to hand!

Simon

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi Will, would you teach yourself how to drive or dentistry? Some things can be left to trial and error but you only make one error withan axe and you don't get hurt a little bit.
Is there a gardener near you?He will probably know how to use an axe .
How are you getting on with the saw I sent you?It's not brilliant but handy as a back up.

hey sapper, don't think i ever received the saw :S but got one off ebay!! Love the saw use it lots but i'd just like to get competant with an axe as well!!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
as long as your sensable i cant see any problem teaching yourself. just plan every chop, think 'if i miss or cut through where will the axe go?' also always keep your fingers the other size of the wood when your useing it to rough out spoons etc.

i would recomend getting mors kochanski's book if you havnt already. it has a masive section about axes and how to use them safely.

also befor you get comfident useing an axe it mite be a good idea practicing at home rather then in the woods. then if you do have an acsident you dont have to walk a mile or two to get help!

pete

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Could look for a local conservation group. See if they do anything involving hedgelaying/coppicing/tree felling etc. Usually have people there been doing it for years, and know a thing or two, and like imparting knowledge.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What do you want to do with your axe?

Fell trees? How big? Cut up small diameter stuff for firewood? Carve spoons? There are quite a few different skills and traditionally they were done with different axes.

Personally I think it is easier to learn safe and efficient axe use than safe knife and efficient knife use.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
i taught myself to use the axe with a little help from my dad when i was small. the biggest thing to keep in mind is where is this axe comming from and where is it likely to go. keep all body parts out of the path and keep everyone else out of the path as well. if you are tired, put the axe down, step away from the axe. like wise if your inebreiated.

take care and you should be fine.

dean

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Personally I think it is easier to learn safe and efficient axe use than safe knife and efficient knife use.
I agree, the sharp bit of an axe is normally at least a foot away from anything that bleeds and is pink, which a knife the distance is measured in inches/mm;)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Unless you are wanting to fell large diameter trees then you can teach yourself. As others have said plan every cut and consider where the axe will end up if you miss. Also consider where all your body parts are in relation to the axe, it's all too easy to get engrossed in what you are working on and narrow your focus too much.
Best tip is to stop when you get tired and rest for a bit.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As long as you prioritise safety before anything else, have a FAK and someone with you then its do-able. Just take your time and be very careful.

I taught myself and i have not had one axe injury.In fact in my whole life i have only ever had one sharps injury, with a knife.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
keep all body parts out of the path and keep everyone else out of the path as well

This saved my femoral vein being cut late last year on a remote canoe trip in sweden, axe glanced off the log and went flying between my legs. Was taught allways to think where the axe could go, have done that as a habit ever since. I remember thinking, as the axe was swinging between my legs, thank god I had listened!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
fell trees is dangerous. now thats something u definately shouldnt lern by yourself (or ever do alone). it doesnt take a large peice of dead wood falling from the top to break through a skull. even living trees can be rotten inside making the tree unpredictable and difficult to control and many have no visable signs from the outside. small poles are ok but i wouldnt fell anything over 4 inches without someone experienced to guide you.

pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Never trust an instructor in knife axe or saw usage if they have less than eight digits.....and both legs.....
Only trust an instructor whose scars look old and well healed.
HOWEVER
those with old scars probably were self taught anyway....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think it really depends on the person. Some folks come to self-education naturally, others don't. How high is your confidence in this respect? If confidence is low, I'd suggest finding a guru somewhere. :)

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
o..k this is all good, can anyone recommend a good starter axe??!

And it wont be for felling, just a good general camp crafter that does a bit of everything!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
o..k this is all good, can anyone recommend a good starter axe??!

And it wont be for felling, just a good general camp crafter that does a bit of everything!!

You can pick up some excellent axes on ebay, at least ebay in the US. Not sure about ebay UK but I'd bet you can find something there. There are some great bargains on some fantastic axes. You can pick up an old axe head and handle it yourself, which is an excellent learning project. For starters, I'd go with a hatchet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE