Tea Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made myself a couple of new tea spoons for my brew & cook kits today, the ones I'm currently using are a bit old and knackered in all honesty, they still have life in them but I'm not sure how much longer they will last, especially the one in my brew kit that is well used and abused.

DSCF4795a.jpg

These new ones should last me for a while, both are carved from Birch and treated with raw linseed oil, think i will put the narrow necked one in my cook kit and the thicker one in my brew kit as that one tends to get considerably more use and the thicker neck should take a bit more abuse over time.

DSCF4793a.jpg

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice spoons kepis i will be able to do them like that one day with practice regards davegoodjob

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ahh I see, I use one of the mora crook knives but I've been reluctant to get one of their regular carving knives, I just use my regular mora bushcraft force or my clipper which seem to do the job but can be a bit awkward sometimes. Would you say it's worth getting a carving knife?

outdoorpaddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ahh I see, I use one of the mora crook knives but I've been reluctant to get one of their regular carving knives, I just use my regular mora bushcraft force or my clipper which seem to do the job but can be a bit awkward sometimes. Would you say it's worth getting a carving knife?

outdoorpaddy

without a doubt, the smaller narrower blade really helps with tight curves, the smaller blade also helps with more delicate cuts, not saying a Clipper cant do them, but i find they are easier to control with a smaller blade.

I use my Mora spoon knives all the time, normally for bowls and roughing out things like that, for regular spoons and other carving tasks i normally use my Ben Orfords, more info about them here on my blog http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/01/ben-orford-carving-tools.html, ive since added a few more of Bens tools since i made that blog entry.

Last edited:

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the info, Kepis. I really love carving and will definitely look into getting a carving knife and maybe one of Ben Orford's knives. I will get round to posting my own work at some point. (schoolwork dependant)
Keep on carvin'

outdoorpaddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the info, Kepis. I really love carving and will definitely look into getting a carving knife and maybe one of Ben Orford's knives. I will get round to posting my own work at some point. (schoolwork dependant)
Keep on carvin'

outdoorpaddy

no prob, look forward to seeing some of your carving in due course

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
They do look nice Kepis.
I had a go at my second spoon yesterday, and today after seeing your Bull Roarer I made one for myself.
I did make one many years back after getting a free cardboard one in the Beno or it might have been the Dandy comic, that did not last very long before it broke. Must admit your one inspired me to make it.
As for a crook knife, I am going to order one this week, probably a Mora 104.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Do you want me to bring my Orfords along on Friday for you to have a look at?, bring your roarer along on friday, speaking of which, i need to drop you a PM re Friday, but your inbox is full and it wont let me

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Yes please bring it, will do.
I'll check my in box now.
I have also looked Ray Iles spoon carving tool as well.

Viandante

May 30, 2011
Italy
Hi, REEEEALLY a good job!!
Question that could appear stupid: How to learn carving skills? I mean: do you normally need to know something before trying or it's just a matter of experience? I tried carving a wood spirit but the result was awful. Actually I don't have any good carving tool, but it seems I don't know how to do it?! :confused:

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE