Taught ridgeline technique, poor mans fig 9s

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok, some inventions are born of necessity and this is one of them. It's probably not new but as I thought it up its certainly new to me. It. Hasn't been used in anger. But giving it a good tug has convinced me its secure. :D

Bit of a journey to this, these are the issues that prompted this solution:

First, I was using paracord for my ridgeline using a truckers hitch to tighten. I noticed after a few trips the "loop" where I tie my hitch was starting to fray. It was cheap paracord but the abrasion of pulling the ridge line taught was obviously taking its toll.

So I bought a pair of fig 9's and a pair of cam buckles to mess about with.

The cam lock buckles are great but bulky and have been relegated to the family camping box. The fig 9s are good however I worry that they will damage the cord. I also note that if knocked they can pop out and be unsecured. The other issue with fig 9s is the minimum supported line diameter of 2.5mm.....

That's when I was given some 1.5mm dyneema throwline... So the fig 9s stayed on the paracord.

A new idea had to be thought up. A cheap one at that. Taking a Prussik as my inspiration I came up with this solution:

erute9yd.jpg

Using a metal link or mini carabiner wind 4 turns of the ridgeline around the side of the biner. A mini carabiner is better than a closed loop as you can do this without access to either end. This type is pennies on eBay and has a squared off edge to help with the hold.

Then do as you would with a truckers hitch, taking the bitter end around the tree and back through the biner (assuming the standing end is secured to an anchor point)

Pull tight, the pinch a loop out and do a looped half hitch with a draw loop to fasten. Extra security can be added by passing the bitter end back into the loop, or clipping the loop onto the biner.

4ede4a3e.jpg

Hope that all makes sense, like I said its probably bleeding obvious to most but if that's so why the need for fancy fig9s?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Clever solution, I had fig9s for a while but they started shredding my cordage so I ditched them, I know a few folk who still swear by them but I'm preferring Dutchware now.

Does the carabiner want to slide up as you put tension on?

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Clever solution, I had fig9s for a while but they started shredding my cordage after a while, I know a few folk who still swear by them but I'm preferring Dutchware now.

Does the carabiner want to slide up as you put tension on?

Not in my tests so far (not had a tarp on it yet). Like with a Prussik pulling the line tight actually tightens the turns on the biner gripping it harder. Reduce the load and it'll slide with a bit of loosening.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a neat, elegant solution - and minimal kit/weight.............I'll try this next trip, thanks for posting........atb mac

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
we use crabs in that way for fixing, inflatables/kites to lifting kites, its supprising how well it holds........

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice idea Mike, very similar to the Single Ring Suspension on Hammocks that replaces the whoopie.

I've never got on with fig 9's, they bend very easily. This is a much better way of doing it IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE