Tatonka Tarp 1 - Polycotton or Polyester?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4605

Ever since seeing Wayland's Tatonka tarp at the moot earlier this year I've been hankering after one, and every so often I go and price one up.

Now I've seen the 20% off offer at Tamarack - who happen to sell Tatonka tarps - and I've having a hard time resisting...

So two questions (instead of the one I originally planned):

1) Is £79.50 (inc P&P and discount) a good price for the Tarp 1 (4.5m x 4.5m)?

2) Should I go for Polycotton or Polyester? The Polycotton is 1kg heavier, but I'm not planning on hiking far with it. In fact it mostly live in the back of my Explorer.

Oh, and I've thought of another question:

3) Do I really need more kit? :lmao:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm after the same tarp as you for a week long camp in January, i'll be interested in the answers people give also.

More kits always good :lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mine's the Poly cotton one in Cocoon colour, (sandy rather than green).

If weight isn't an issue the cotton is quieter in the wind but it does take longer to dry out.
seesaw.gif

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have that model in polycotton and love it.

It is plenty big enough to get 2 hammocks under, and still have room to live under if the weather turns nasty. When bivvying, I can easily get me and both kids under it, again with room to live if the weather turns nasty.

If you intend to have a fire anywhere near your tarp, polycotton is the fabric of choice.

HTH

Simon

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Ply-cotton here too. The big advantage is that you'll risk less when you light a fire in front of it. Obviously not for the ultralight hikers...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE