Tarps. Why not use bungies instead of cord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I can probably abseil a 10 meter cliff on various bits of my tarp and hammock rig. ;)

Someone has got to say it.................

.... And with bungees, you can do it again and again and again :lmao:

Anyway, whats the point of learning how to make your own cordage and how to tie knots if your just going to spoil things with a posh elastic band.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The little knot takes no more time to tie than fitting a guy-runner does and once tied is there for ever if you want...
Works for me:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You would never survive in Cardigan... spending money indeed......I see you are a long way from Scotland as well...no hope for you I am afraid......:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've bought new guys and cleats from here after admiring Waylands reflective setup at Middlewood last year.

They're still sat in the jiffy bag though as I've not got round to fitting them yet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The knot works fine on El Cheapo Gelert/Highlander/generic para cord - don't want to spend money too freely do I?
Besides, I would not want my guys to be stronger than my tarp...I can replace a broken guy cheaper than repair my tarp....:)

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
As regards line-lok guy runners I've just got some from Lurch at Lakeland Bushcraft not used them yet still on a paracord one side bungee the other set up but they look good and are small and light.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Another method used mainly be Infantry men of the old school as far as i can make out, is to runa length of paracord through the eyelet at one corner. You double it up and tie a series of simple thumb knots along the doubled cord. Once complete, you have a reasonably adjustable line for that corner of the basha. Carry out the same on each other corner. To use, you take the cord around the tree and poke the end through where it meets the line at the start of the wrap around the tree. The knot jams against the last knot and holds in place whn put under tension. Youi pass the remainder of the cordage back through the way it came so that when you need to go you just pull the loose end and it comes undone in an instant,

to all those who say rope/line/paracord is longer than bungees........rubbish

Simply attach two or more bungees together to get the required distance, or even add a peice of paracord to the bungee.

As as ex military guy I used bungges in the Army and I have used paracord in my bushcraft courses, I favour bungees, however, I have seen them hit people in the face or rap knuckles, but that was more because of their own stupidity rather than a design flaw.

I offer the following advice to anyone who is not sure which is best for them;

Give bungies a try but take enough paracord with you incase you decide its not for you.

I have 6 bungees attached to my tarp 4 corners and 2 as a ridge line
I take an aditional two as a back up incase one breaks or i need a longer reach.

Wrap the bungee around the tree and hook it back on its self or on to your tarp, if the distance is short.

Any way enough of me ranting.......

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
How much space does 20 feet of bungee take up?
How much does 20 feet of bungee weigh?
I understand the army way of thinking ,get it up and down ASAP, but I'm never in that much of a rush.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
to all those who say rope/line/paracord is longer than bungees........rubbish

That statement is rubbish. It doesn't make any sense.

As as ex military guy I used bungges in the Army and I have used paracord in my bushcraft courses, I favour bungees, however, I have seen them hit people in the face or rap knuckles, but that was more because of their own stupidity rather than a design flaw.

Tired, cold, moving into a harbour in failing light, stretching the elastic perhaps further than you should to try to reach an anchor point whilst holding onto a slippery piece of metal with a sharp hook on the end.
Quite a few people have mentioned that they have seen bungee-related injuries, so there must be more to it than "stupidity".

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I'll see your stupidity and raise with:

What do people use to mark your dark guy lines/bungees* to stop you/an idiot* tripping over them in a moment of forgetfullness/drunkeness/darkness* ?

I'm clumsy and am experimenting with bright yellow cord tied at appropriate height in daylight and float markers from Lidl for night time.

*delete as required

regards Alan
(paracord, tautline hitches and glow in the dark lineloks)

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
personally I think bungees are great, I take four with me as you can hang clothes from them etc.....From bushcraft terms "Being cold, tired etc causing accidents" doesn't factor too much as you should always set up camp, before fading light and when not tired etc...but I see what you mean, it's very easy to think,"oh it only needs to get stretched another inch , and PING it hits you in the face!"

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Luminous cord works well Humpback (cave line)

I've never got the bungee thing (as in the thing with metal hooks on). Why not just use shock cord? A quarter of the weight - cut to any length you like, can be cleated like a guy line, clipped with cord connector or knotted - al the advantages of bungee and none of the disadvantage - cheaper too?

Bulldog

Mar 26, 2009
kent
I must admit i find bungees a godsend, so quick and easy, i roll six up in my poncho and dont find the weight of them a issue to worry about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE