Tarps. Why not use bungies instead of cord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I attach my lines to a small loop of thin bungee cord which then attaches to the tarp.

I'm thinking of changing the bungee for a loop of rubber from an inner tube for more elasticity.

It just introduces a bit of stretch into the system and reduces dangerous tension in the tarp material in high wind.

It works for me.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm a bungie person though sometimes I use a cord for a ridge line on my flysheet.

I have some of the excellent RV Ops Cleats which I use with some home made bungies and they work very well indeed.

The guys at RV Ops are great to deal with and very friendly.

Cheers

John

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I'm a bungie person though sometimes I use a cord for a ridge line on my flysheet.

I have some of the excellent RV Ops Cleats which I use with some home made bungies and they work very well indeed.

The guys at RV Ops are great to deal with and very friendly.

Cheers

John

I bought a load of those and also the ones with the gated hook as well, but bought some of the line locks from Bushcraft trading, I like to have a few options available

hooked cleats

plain cleats

line loks

And bungee cord is about 55ppm for 8mm cord

:)

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
You can always use regular shock cord, as I am sure someone has mentioned by now (not read every response) But another alternative is to use bicycle inner tube. pretty tough stuff, cut once with scissors along the seam then cut again into strips as wide as you need. Wrap them around your sigg or alternative water bottle and they take up no space really.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My local camping shop is a reasonable source of bush craft bits and pieces and I noticed today they they sell "Clingons" at £5 for 4 and Gelert runners that are sort of similar to the RVOPS ones at £2 for 6.

I am making a determined effort to cut down how much I spend on kit this year and even though these are not very expensive (compared to the £50 I had just spent on a new sleeping bag in the sale) so I was very strong and walked away.

With only the runners :lmao:

I will be using them this weekend so will let you know how I get on.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I make my own bungees out of 6mm cord, snap hooks from poundland and wooden toggles. makes stringing anything quick and easy. toggle goes through the loop and the other end wraps around a tree till I clip it off.

I also carry cord pre looped and with a plactic toggle so the cord doesnt cut into the loops. bashas are designed for use with a soft string or bungee. tent guy adjusters come on handy.

on exercise we'd use bungees but on ops hairy string incase we hade to cut it down in a hurry.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I also carry cord pre looped and with a plastic toggle so the cord doesn't cut into the loops. bashas are designed for use with a soft string or bungee. tent guy adjusters come on handy.
I have always been aware that tight paracord could damage the tarp and have even considered getting some small carrabiners to spread the load, but I like your toggle idea and will try that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE