tarping up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
not sure where this goes so ill put it here and see if it gets moved.

in trying out my tarp to see how it fairs in the wet i encountered problems with the ridgeline. when i tie it up its at a good 2m if not more from the ground but when i guy it out it saggs and i have to bend over in it.

im using the decathlon tarp 3mX3m and a ridgeline of nylon cord.
any suggestions to stop the sag?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
ive done it as tight and as high as i can, the only thing i can think of is that the cord is stretching with the weight of the tarp.

I'm no expert mate but my decathlon tarp sags when i'm using the poles and guying it out. I think if you have it too tight it could pull the eyelets from the fabric. what about putting bungees from the pegs to the guys ?

Mesquite did a mod on his Dec tarp, have a look at that thread.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
ive done it as tight and as high as i can, the only thing i can think of is that the cord is stretching with the weight of the tarp.

A couple of questions to clarify:

Is the ridge line staying taught or is it sagging?

or

Is the tarp bunching up?

If the ridge line is not taut, you may need to look at the knots you are using.
Outdoor Idiots do a good guide on setting up a tarp...
http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp.asp

If the tarp itself is bunching up, are you using prusicks to hold it in place on the ridge line?
Again, Outdoor Idiots do a good guide - I use the Pemberthy Prusik on my set up...
http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200605/prusik/prusik_6.asp

HTH

Simon

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
the answer to both of those is, im using the evenk slippery hitch and the tarp taughtening hitch and yes, i also have prussiks pulling it out.

i tried getting a shot on my phone but you cant see anything. and since i dropped my digital cam in the sea...... ill try and get a photo soon.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Sounds like the problem I had the first time I used a tarp. In my case I needed a stronger line for the ridge line as it stretched to much....

Now I use some 7 mm climbing rope, pull it thight with a taut line hitch (both sides as I find the quick release knots come loose even better if they are on a taut line hitch).

Now everything stays nice and even. A 3 X 3 tarp should not be a problem to get tight.

i really think the problem is in the stretching of the line....

Also when using line the first time you might want to redo the ridge line after a few hours....

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
the answer to both of those is, im using the evenk slippery hitch and the tarp taughtening hitch and yes, i also have prussiks pulling it out.

i tried getting a shot on my phone but you cant see anything. and since i dropped my digital cam in the sea...... ill try and get a photo soon.

Using that combination of knots, you should be able to get your ridge line as taut as a bow string. What sort or cord are you using?

I use either 3mm or 4mm static line from climbing shops, depending on which tarp I'm using - No stretch at all.

Prior to that I use polypropylene (cheap version of para cord) which did need re tensioning from time to time.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What kind of cord are you using for the ridgeline Davey, it sounds like there might be too much stretch in it. I used to have some 7mm paracord which did the same, especially in the rain. I think it might have been fairly poor quality and too thick aswell. I`m using 5mm 550lb line now which holds it tension much better. With the really stretchy stuff there`s only so much tension you can put on it before you have to tie it off, have a play with some better cord first mate.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
the line im using is just some cheap guy line i thnk, its fairly thin but i thought id try it to see how it works. i was trying to put off using any climbing gear because all my carabiners and straps end up in my climbing rack anyway. ill try some 3mm if i have a length long enough other than that ill try and look about getting some purlon cord or paracord.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
1. Decathlon tarps arent supposed to be used with a ridgeline.(not enough points to connect to, and its not a good idea to throw the tarp OVER a line).
2. tie one of the original guylines to the middle of each side and tie these to the 2 trees.

you do get a bit of stretch when the tarp is new, and even later, but it shouldnt drop a massive amount. You may be guying it out too tightly.

The suggestion to use thicker/better rope for the two middle "tree" ties is a good one.

Stu.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
do you mean tie a cord to each end of the tarp in the eylets im using for the ridgeline? if you do then i can see how that works and ill go try it.

(i plan to sleep outside tonight so i want everything to be solid)

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
do you mean tie a cord to each end of the tarp in the eylets im using for the ridgeline? if you do then i can see how that works and ill go try it.

(i plan to sleep outside tonight so i want everything to be solid)

yeah, thats the idea. but dont just use any old cord, use one of the guy lines that came with the tarp.

Stu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE