Tarp snake skins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snake skins on a tarp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Just completely revamped my hammock kit and now I'm looking at my tarp. It's a Siltarp 3 (10x12) pimped up with dyneema lines and ti pegs. So what can you say about using snake skins? Do you use them? How convenient is it to have it on a tarp? How inconvenient it is to pack the tarp? One long one or two halves?
Theoretically I have a rule not to carry items I can live without but if they do help than I won't mind few grams extra.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Net ones from UK Hammocks, two half's better than one large one, I've used both and much prefer the two half ones.
They are a great help when packing away, especially in windy conditions or even to stow the tarp if you want to enjoy some blue sky during the day, tarp rigged up ready to go if needed, just needs the skins pulled back and pegged out.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
+1 for the set from UK Hammocks. I have mine now and will be using next time I go out which will hopefully be next week. I have seen tartenferret use them and they're great as you can attach tarp to ridgeline ready for deploying but can leave it all rolled up until ready. They also make putting it away much quicker and easier as you just pule skins across and then its all contained while putting into bag instead of flapping everywhere so putting up and down is much more efficient.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got the snake skins on my Hennesey explorer and when doing a multi stop walk(?) had the hammock and tarp in the skins, it was great draped over the shoulder of the ground when setting up.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Here is a video from Mat about setting up a hammock camp which involves the snake skins about 7mins in..

There is also a funny bit when he talks about permission/wild camping ;)

[video=youtube;hfL4xmViFJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfL4xmViFJ8[/video]

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I voted no, I've not used snakeskins since I had my Hennessy many moons ago. I can understand the practicalities if you wanted to gather it up out of the way but for packing I don't like them. I stuff my sil Superfly and roll and fold my cuben tarp.

Very much a personal choice, I don't think there's a right or wrong way, except for cuben where it's better to roll and fold.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I use the DD hammock, and after seeing someone using the snake skin on the Hennesey I asked DD about them and about a year later they were making them, I swear by it, makes packing the hammock down so much easier also keeps it dry and free from debris.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I've never used snake skins before, but after seeing that video I'm intrigued!! I guess another good feature of the net skin is if you have a wet tarp you could just tie it to the outside of your pack!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
No to Snake skins... go Bishops Bags.. far better and less hassle

Tbh I like both. I have a snake skin and stuff sack for DD travel hammock but will be using a double ended bag for Blackbird. I think I will prefer to use a sack+skins for Superfly tarp though after seeing them in action and how much better it makes packing/deploying it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Tbh I like both. I have a snake skin and stuff sack for DD travel hammock but will be using a double ended bag for Blackbird. I think I will prefer to use a sack+skins for Superfly tarp though after seeing them in action and how much better it makes packing/deploying it.

That's exactly my new set up too!!

Black bird and superfly.

How do you find it?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
That's exactly my new set up too!!

Black bird and superfly.

How do you find it?

Not had chance to have a go with them yet bud, its killing me lol. I got my Superfly in January and my Blackbird came Saturday, Will hopefully be getting out next week. I've got a skyline throwline ridgeline pimped up with some dutchware ready to hang the tarp :D

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've voted yes, used a bishop bag but found stuffing it in a bit of a pain when windy/wet. I have made a set of skins for my tarp and hammock, but haven't used the properly yet - just a few tests in the house and garden. However I think they will be a better setup for me.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just out of curiosity what size is the tarp when packed in 'snakeskins'?
anyone got a pic of theirs packed away.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My thinking is with a snake skin you then put them in a stuff sack... cant see the point of two wrappers, and the snake skins also add weight and bulk if you put them in to a stuff sack as well.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I don't know how other folks use them but I've planned putting up the ridge line with prussik loops attached, then attaching my tarp through it's loops using mini crabs, each far end clipped to a prussik, the other loops just clipped to the ridgeline. So my tarp can be clipped and unclipped from the ridgeline while in its skin.

No photo's right now, but if I get a minute later tonight I'll try to get some... but a sausage or snake shaped bag about 1m long by 10cm diameter. This can be squashed and compressed into a much smaller package if needed. [my tarp is homemade nylon about 2.4m wide x 4.2m long]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE