DIY Hex Tarp and Trial(s) mit Images

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

It was a YouTube vid that further prompted me to pursue creation of a hextarp or ‘tarpee’ which I had seen previously featured on BCUK.

Specifically it was the use of the Danish M84 Flecktarn pattern which galvanised me into action, one which I have been using very successfully in classic tarp styles and clothing during the green season for quite a few years now.

Material tracked down (just!) I set about making one completely in M84. (Images 1,2,3)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It took only one outing with it (in the recent winds and rainstorms) to decide that for me it was the way forward for my future forays where a rapidly set up; wind and rain shelter was required.

That first outing also caused the spark of an idea for what was to result in the ‘cannibalisation’ of a German Fleck pattern, classic-shape tarp which I hadn’t been over impressed with due to the inner colour, which unlike the M84 shows out.

Three days later – The Jaeger ‘Flecktarpee!!’ (Images 4,5,6,6A)

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 6A.jpg

Apart from the mix of cam patterns some of the other features which people may find of interest are –

The (ground) anchor attachment points (image 7,8) created to primarily allow the use of ‘ball bungees’ (but other methods too); (not featured in the OP).

7.jpg 8.jpg

The (air) anchor attachment point (image 9) to allow the use of a tree supported apex line and hence no requirement for an internal pole (but see follow-on write up);

9.jpg

The pole socket (image 10) allowing attachment of the walking pole (and indirectly easier setting up as it keeps the pole in the correct place whilst tension-ing the canopy!).

10.jpg

In use:

Lightweight and compact – material is 5-7oz PU coated nylon/polyester;
Weight with x 6 steel wire pegs; x 5 ball bungees; x 1 hook bungee and a short length of cordage plus the Cordura carrier shown = 1.4kgs. (Image 11)

11.jpg

Set up – Easy and quick (up & down) – one pole; six pegs; less than 60 seconds;
Set up on a flat site – self tensions symmetrically. (Image 12)

12.jpg

Set up on a sloping site - some pfaffing required to sort the shape and avoid
rain water pooling on some lower parts of the canopy but it can be done. (Image 13)
Intermediate tags on the sides might be an idea but that means seams. (I might try ‘grip-its’ first).

13.jpg

Space – Ample. I can stretch, sit up, spread out (6ft) and get my ruck under cover no probs.

Weather – Sheds rain like the proverbial……
Provides good wind protection on three sides.

Appearance – Sited appropriately and even without any natural material enhancement it practically disappears beyond 25/30 metres so
excellent for low profile activity. I suspect that this will be even better late spring/early autumn.
(See images 14;15;16A - which don't quite do justice to the real effect)

14.jpg 15.jpg 16A.jpg

PTN Although the external ‘air anchor point’ is effectively at exactly the same point as the internal pole socket, use of it seems to
create slightly less internal volume and a ‘drawn-in’ effect on the canopy with the potential for rain water gathering at the
lower edges so for me I will always try to use the pole.

Unlike the OP I did make an attempt at the catenary curves on the lower seams on the full M84 version but not on the Fleck mix. There seems to be little difference in canopy tension between the two (assuming I got the curves right?!).

I did take the OP's advice re making a small scale model and then a full size version (used B&Q building membrane).

Each shelter took about three days each to knock up on a small Janome dress makers sewing machine which struggled to cope with the M84 material despite the correct needle and tensioning being selected and especially on the seam over laps and extra layers at the anchor points.
I suspect this was due to the low power of the machine and the 'slipperiness' of the material?)
Notably it sewed the German Flecktarn material spot on throughout?
That stated the overall result is fine for me.

I sealed the seems inside and out with my last bottle of Nas Coat.

I haven't pitched the pair face to face in the field yet but that looks promising.

16.jpg

And for the sharp eyed amongst you – yes…. That IS an M84 bivvy bag in image 6A – in GTX! Mmmmmmmm.

My thanks to the OP. :)

Reactions: LarryBass

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up BigG_73,

Thanks for that - I can't claim credit for the design - style perhaps.

I would like to make and sell them but -

a) I would need to invest in a HD sewing machine (£££!) for better quality stitching and
b) Sourcing the particular material that I have used could prove difficult

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Nice job - I placed the original up here on the forum, it's a good size and easy to put up - you don't even need any trees (which is a problem the higher up you go!)
Love the Flecktarn one, it's a great pattern for UK woodland.
Cheers
Phil

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye Up BigG_73,

Thanks for that - I can't claim credit for the design - style perhaps.

I would like to make and sell them but -

a) I would need to invest in a HD sewing machine (£££!) for better quality stitching and
b) Sourcing the particular material that I have used could prove difficult

No worries mate, If you ever decide to, gis a shout.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE