Tarp snake skins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snake skins on a tarp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just out of curiosity what size is the tarp when packed in 'snakeskins'?
anyone got a pic of theirs packed away.

Check the video I posted earlier bud.

Here's a pic...

ysamumu4.jpg

My thinking is with a snake skin you then put them in a stuff sack... cant see the point of two wrappers, and the snake skins also add weight and bulk if you put them in to a stuff sack as well.

This is because you're confusing what is meant here. The OP isnt talking about the larger/thicker snake skins you get on hammocks, Hes referring to the very light/compact netted tubes that are made for lightweight tarps like silnylon ones, ie Warbonnet Superfly etc.

Yes, you put them in the tubes and then put them in the stuff sack. The two wrappers serve two purposes. The tubes are there to make hanging/deploying them much quicker and and the stuff sack is there simply to contain/compact tarp/tube.

Watch the video I posted earlier.

I have seen people use them and they're great and I will most certainly be using them.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yes, you put them in the tubes and then put them in the stuff sack. The two wrappers serve two purposes. The tubes are there to make hanging/deploying them much quicker and and the stuff sack is there simply to contain/compact tarp/tube.

My Bishop Bag is made from 35 grm ripstop so very thin and light :)

But in my point with a Bishops Bag it still deploys just as quick... with out the need of the snake skins..... :).. you just secure the first end on to the tree, open the other end of the Bishops bag take out the other end of the Ridge line walk to other tree and the tarp has unfolded out behind you, fasten 2nd end.. no need to return to centre of tarp to undo the snake skin then walk back to centre and undo the the second snake skin..:)

So a bishop bag save enven more time delpoying :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
But in my point with a Bishops Bag it still deploys just as quick... with out the need of the snake skins..... :).. you just secure the first end on to the tree, open the other end of the Bishops bag take out the other end of the Ridge line walk to other tree and the tarp has unfolded out behind you, fasten 2nd end.. no need to return to centre of tarp to undo the snake skin then walk back to centre and undo the the second snake skin..:)

So a bishop bag save enven more time delpoying :)

I know how a bishop bag works, and yes its just as quick but with the skins you can attach/hang tarp both ends and tension ready without fully deploying immediately so if you want to get it attached and ready you don't have to do it with it flapping everywhere. When putting away it works same, You can just pull nets across and its all contained out of way very quickly ready to re-deploy again if needs be.

They both server same but also different purposes at same time, I just prefer look and usage of skins.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I have my DD Tarp XL and DD Frontline in a single DD Snakeskin (I also carry a spare skin in case i need to snake my tarp up wet) and can compress it down to around 8L so i can fit it, my thermarest and cook kit into a single PLCE side pouch.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Well after trying both options in my living room (butchered thick plastic bag bonded with duck tape) I am going with bishop bag.
Snake skins are convenient to controll the tarp in the wind but not for storing/deploying/taking down. I keep my tarp on/with the ridgeline so: undo one end, stuff it in the bag, undo other end. Ready to go.

For me there is no reason to keep it stored in the skins above the hammock, you still need protection from falling needles/sticks/bird droppings. And if you really want to open it up, it can be simply folded away in half.

Here is a video from Mat about setting up a hammock camp which involves the snake skins about 7mins in..

There is also a funny bit when he talks about permission/wild camping ;)

[video=youtube;hfL4xmViFJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfL4xmViFJ8[/video]

Hehe, thanks for sharing...really informative vid, well worth a watch if you're a newb hammock hanger like me :) I consider myself really fortunate as being in Scotland, we're not bound with the same red tape *cough* I mean legislation which makes wild camping a lot easier and more accessible...you shouldn't be made to feel like a criminal for enjoying what's on your doorstep!

Think I'm going to go for a set of snakeskins so that I can hang the tarp/hammock (possibly in the same snakeskins, I haven't decided yet) without worrying about it flapping about, and, with having to use a stick it should make it easier with one main functional hand when uncovering it :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
my shelter bag with 10x 8" stakes, guy lines 2mm marlow, ridge line 2mm dyneema and my tarp. loosely stuffed about 9inch square.
SHELTERBAG_zps257adbd2.jpg

the tarp in it's skin - about 110 cm by 10cm
SKIN_zpsa2446a93.jpg

the end nearest the bottom is the top edge of the tarp with the centre ridge loops poking out of the bag, these have little crab clips to clip on to the ridgeline - slide the skin down off the tarp and stake out - well thats the theory!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I voted no because I have a very small roll top bag that my warbonnet tarp and cordage goes into that is smaller than I could hope to coil a snake skinned tarp into.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have the Hennessy snake skins for the tarp, and a DD sort of sausage skin for the hammock. There isn't a neater and more convenient way to pack or unpack a hammock and tarp IMO.

And like someone mentioned, you don't always want your tarp stretched out, it's nice to laze in the sun and deploy it as the dew falls.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have the Hennessy snake skins for the tarp, and a DD sort of sausage skin for the hammock. There isn't a neater and more convenient way to pack or unpack a hammock and tarp IMO.

And like someone mentioned, you don't always want your tarp stretched out, it's nice to laze in the sun and deploy it as the dew falls.

Indeed :)

Plus storing it away in a skin is much better then keeping it all stuffed away in a sack imo. When I get home I store it away on a shelf out of the sack but still in its skin laid out.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I voted no because I have a very small roll top bag that my warbonnet tarp and cordage goes into that is smaller than I could hope to coil a snake skinned tarp into.

?????

The netted skins do not make the pack size any larger whatsoever? :confused:

Plus you put the snake skin with trap into stuff sack anyway. The snake skin just gives a better way to deploy/pack away.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
?????

The netted skins do not make the pack size any larger whatsoever? :confused:

Plus you put the snake skin with trap into stuff sack anyway. The snake skin just gives a better way to deploy/pack away.

A tarp doesn't stuff as well in a skin as it does not in one. it's all to do with compression and voids.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
A tarp doesn't stuff as well in a skin as it does not in one. it's all to do with compression and voids.

Maybe not in a full skin like the DD style as they're made out of thicker/solid material, but I haven't noticed a single difference either way with a thin mesh/net skin from UKHammocks.

Have you used a net skin plus a Superfly? With or without the skin the tarp packs down very small. Afterall this topic/poll was referring to a sil based tarp. If you was going to get a sil tarp it wouldnt then be put into a thick snake skin, it would be a netted tarp tube style or other such thin/light style skin.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Maybe not in a full skin like the DD style as they're made out of thicker/solid material, but I haven't noticed a single difference either way with a thin mesh/net skin from UKHammocks.

Have you used a net skin plus a Superfly? With or without the skin the tarp packs down very small. Afterall this topic/poll was referring to a sil based tarp. If you was going to get a sil tarp it wouldnt then be put into a thick snake skin, it would be a netted tarp tube style or other such thin/light style skin.

A reckon a tarp into a stuff sack will always take up less room than a tarp into a skin into a stuff sack. All being equal. But I'm not telling anyone how to pack their tarp - wear it like superman if you want.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am about to replace the original dd bag from my 4x4 with a bishop bag, really cant see the point of snake skins and then useing a stuffsack.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am about to replace the original dd bag from my 4x4 with a bishop bag, really cant see the point of snake skins and then useing a stuffsack.

Here Here... it's like going to teh supermarket picking up a net of oranges then putting them in a little plastic bag.... Bishop bag all the way...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
A reckon a tarp into a stuff sack will always take up less room than a tarp into a skin into a stuff sack. All being equal. But I'm not telling anyone how to pack their tarp - wear it like superman if you want.

I have, It's awesome :D

You are going by thicker tarps and thicker skins. I have a superfly and as net skin and it packs/compresses down to same either way. If there is any difference its negligible and wouldn't force you to have to remove skin to be able to get it into same space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE