Tarp Recommendations Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Has anyone had any experience of the tarps that are on offer on amazon? any good?! i've got a DD hammock and need tarp set up. I'm keen to buy from amazon because I have credit/vouchers...

also, does anyone have the DD tarp? if so, what's that like?

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ive got a dd3x3 and someone ran into the guy lines at full tilt(i was running after them in a game of capture the flag) and it simply bounced him back right into me)no sign of a tear at all

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have several DD tarps for school, personal use & Scouts. Highly rated...for the money IMHO there is no equal.

I'd go with the Tarp XL for hammock use tho as it gives you more protection.

Simon

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Yep the DD tarps are very good indeed ! But then I would say that ;)
If I thought they did rubbih kit I wouldn't do group buys for their stuff!

Sandbag47 :)

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
How do you rate the Decathlon tarps.

Usually camp with tent and use those as shelters for Cubs/Scouts but need in summer for them to actually Bivouac to get an award.

Their price would meand we could take more.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Thanks to everyone chiming in on the subject of DD tarps, just ordered, although the camo version is the only one I could get my hands on.

nowhereman

Mar 9, 2011
In The Forest
I use a 3x4m genuine dpm basha that I got from a market for a score about 3,4 years ago - its got only 1 small tear in it ;-) that i've managed to sucessfully sort out with an iron and some gorilla tape and its fine, it works.

I was about to buy another one (silvermans job £45 I think) when I got a trueways email r.e. the 3x3 dd tarp - £28 probably cant go wrong (kind of)... Then again, I had a £5 sludge brown viynl builders tarp for ages and it did what it said on the label;-) Slightly heavier though and seemed to always smell of sweaty socks no matter what I did to clean it...hmm..

V

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The Decthalon tarp is good as well, I have one it is also 3x3m the only problem is less tie off point but that can easy be retified with either a little sewing or some cling-ons. Oh and bin the polls for lightweight camping cause they are anything but, use a couple of sticks/walking poles or just trees instead been using mine for over a year and no leakage. :)

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Me too. I've bought the DD 3 x 3M. I try it out on Friday, but I've erected it in several configurations in the garden and it does look reassuringly well constructed. The loops are well sewn and grommets look sturdy and unlikely to pull free easily. I got mine brand new in a sale a few months ago at a significantly reduced price and I was impressed that it came with four pegs and guy lines in dinky little bags.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
DD are quite possibly the best tarps available in the UK for under £50! I ruined one recently with a tear, and went straight out and bought the same one to replace it.
If you're looking to spend over £50, on a standard tarp, you're entering the realms of Tatonka. Over £100 and you'll be looking for a Yank-made (possibly custom) jobbie.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
These Pics are of the DD ones, this weekend just gone...

DSC00125.jpg

Normal DD in Green
DSC00128.jpg

Camo from the Group Buy
DSC00131.jpg

the alternative set up
Tarp.jpg

and traditional....

DD1stsetup.jpg

DD are briliant!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BPL-UK are now selling the Integral Designs Tarps. More ground dwellers ones but they are nice tarps and a lot lighter than the 600g DD 3m ones. Trying to justify one. Wanted the BPL-UK micro tarp myself weighing 148g but still none being made. Good for ground dwellers with bivvies as cover for upper body.

The Integral Design ones seem good from BPL-UK though and the duo might be big enough fro your tarp use. £49.95 IIRC compared to £29/30 for DD 3m tarp from same seller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE