Tarp questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Offer withdrawn then (he can still have a Bergen though). Pitch tent and just play with tarp configurations and problems solved. I don't want to see the lad wet and cold until his skills prevent this.

Why worry if he gets wet and cold, he's young, fit and healthy so it's highly unlikely he'll come to any great harm.

Bit harsh I know but it's not as if it's winter conditions now and getting it wrong is a great learning experience to make you get it right next time.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why worry if he gets wet and cold, he's young, fit and healthy so it's highly unlikely he'll come to any great harm.

Bit harsh I know but it's not as if it's winter conditions now and getting it wrong is a great learning experience to make you get it right next time.

I'm a retired nurse...its the 'nurse in me' and don't like to see anyone endure more than they have to, simple as that really and even this time of the year you can (as I'm sure you know) go down with Hypothermia. My motives are the same here as when I see people saying they are going blanket camping in potentially harsh places et al and on the fast track to a Darwin Award; it upsets me so I comment, sometimes offer a helping hand (I'm clearing stuff out just now).

The lad and I have crossed paths in the past but really don't wish him harm.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Oh dear, what a stir those old threads caused. Though I can't see if I've said anything to somehow offend anyone in quite a while... We have crossed paths and shared hostile statements, but I like to think that's entirely behind us.

I appreciate the sentiment, I really, do. I have a tent already though. I'll say Rik that your idea really stuck into my head though. I was out for a while trying to learn several knots in the woods and I looked out at the trees and remembered what you said. I should just get some more camping experience before trying the tarp. I just really want to get out there, so I've made up my mind to postpone tarp camping, if that's the correct word, for a few weekends whilst I just get out more in the tent. I think that's a sound idea as I'll be able to try setting up the tarp whilst I'm camping with the tent and I can be sure of a decent shelter as you say.

So thanks everyone. I'll let you know how I get on with all my new gear. And just a quick question. I assume there's no need for a bivvy bag inside a tent?

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Oh dear, what a stir those old threads caused. Though I can't see if I've said anything to somehow offend anyone in quite a while... We have crossed paths and shared hostile statements, but I like to think that's entirely behind us.

I appreciate the sentiment, I really, do. I have a tent already though. I'll say Rik that your idea really stuck into my head though. I was out for a while trying to learn several knots in the woods and I looked out at the trees and remembered what you said. I should just get some more camping experience before trying the tarp. I just really want to get out there, so I've made up my mind to postpone tarp camping, if that's the correct word, for a few weekends whilst I just get out more in the tent. I think that's a sound idea as I'll be able to try setting up the tarp whilst I'm camping with the tent and I can be sure of a decent shelter as you say.

So thanks everyone. I'll let you know how I get on with all my new gear. And just a quick question. I assume there's no need for a bivvy bag inside a tent?

That's sensible, you could pitch the tarp I front of the tent and use it like a porch - all good practice. You don't need a bivvy in a tent, although it can be useful in stopping you slipping of your mat if you're a restless sleeper :).

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Why would you want to use a bivvy in a tent? As questions go that is a strange one.
I didn't say I wanted to do that. I was just asking as I'm unfamiliar with that particular camping item, having only slept in a tent before, and was essentially just making sure. I thought perhaps you could use one in a tent, but I assumed not and I was right.

:)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Why would you want to use a bivvy in a tent? As questions go that is a strange one.

It's not as stupid a question as it may first appear.

The principle is simple. You have this item, that you can put round your sleeping bag, that will trap air round the bag, and provide protection from any drafts. In theory by putting a sleeping bag inside your bivvi bag inside your tent, the bag will be a bit warmer. That is the theory.

The practice is: this will make you very wet. For the goretex of your bivvi bag to work, it needs a certain amount of air flow over the membrane to make moisture vapour cross through it. It also requires a temperature differential to work. Inside a tent you aren't going to get those conditions, so all you'll do is collect condensation on the inside of the bag.

So, in summary, not actually a stupid question, add a layer, be warmer. But you will actually just make yourself wetter.

J

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's not as stupid a question as it may first appear.

The principle is simple. You have this item, that you can put round your sleeping bag, that will trap air round the bag, and provide protection from any drafts. In theory by putting a sleeping bag inside your bivvi bag inside your tent, the bag will be a bit warmer. That is the theory.

The practice is: this will make you very wet. For the goretex of your bivvi bag to work, it needs a certain amount of air flow over the membrane to make moisture vapour cross through it. It also requires a temperature differential to work. Inside a tent you aren't going to get those conditions, so all you'll do is collect condensation on the inside of the bag.

So, in summary, not actually a stupid question, add a layer, be warmer. But you will actually just make yourself wetter.

J

I have not found this to be the case.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Only one vid per post, I never knew that :) ..

This is another option if you've got the 3x3 ..

[video=youtube;yMAtpWQdVbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAtpWQdVbY[/video]
These are the type of configurations i normally use with a tarp. If you make the doorway a bit narrower yon close it off leaving a small v shaped gap at the bottom for ventilation. It will suffer with condensation though if you do this.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
nice set up. Have you tried it by tying off to the centre ridge loop rather than the corner? This would give you a possible or extra wind shield. At least I think it would. Been too long since I was out

Hi Jack. I find this setup good for most situations, plenty of sleeping, storage and admim space. This weekends setup in Dorset.013.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE