Tarp questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So is the 3x3 compatible with poles or not? So many differing opinions....

And no, Rik, I didn't just spend £30 odd to go and buy a tent instead. The point is to learn to use a tarp as that's what I want to do.

As your a beginner I'd still advocate a little tent for you while your skills develop, certainly if your cold camping for the first time and equipment is limited; just a bit of common sense unless your only a warm weather camper.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
As your a beginner I'd still advocate a little tent for you while your skills develop, certainly if your cold camping for the first time and equipment is limited; just a bit of common sense unless your only a warm weather camper.

Hes got a bivy bag Richard. Aint that just a small tent? :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
A couple more questions, gentlemen. :)

So as I understand it at the moment through a bit of research, a tarp requires a ridge line tied between two trees with the Siberian hitch and the Taut line tension knot? Those are the main and most popular methods of tying the ridge line yes? And because my tarp is 3x3 meters I should walk about from 4 meters or so from tree to tree to check if the distance is right? I think I saw that in a video. Lastly, I need to tie the ends of the tarp to the ridge line by using what's called a prusik knot (not sure about the spelling) and then put the guy lines in the corners? That's pretty much all there is to it, yes?

I'm going to the woods for a day of knot learning, but I wonder if I can cut 550 paracord down to size? Can you cut cord like this or will it just fray? I tried to hank one roll of cordage using the figure of 8 method, but it eventually covered my entire hand because it was far too long. It still worked in the end, but the 550 I have is far too long.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
first para - yep thats it mate you have it correct

2nd para - yes you can cut it to length. Just use a lighter to melt the end and seal it. this will stop the inner threads pulling out

Have fun. Look forward to some pics

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You seem to have it. When you cut the paracord melt the cut ends with a lighter, this stops them fraying. make your ridgeline twice as long as you need, trees are not always the right distance apart.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You seem to have it. When you cut the paracord melt the cut ends with a lighter, this stops them fraying. make your ridgeline twice as long as you need, trees are not always the right distance apart.

Personally I'd go for at least 3 times as long as the largest measurement is in your tarp, at the very least 9 meters of paracord for a ridge line.

Reason being is not all trees are 4 meters apart and of a small diameter so far better to have plenty spare than cuss and swear you don't have enough :)

Did you want some of the thinner cord I mentioned in another post for guy lines Taylor?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Personally I'd go for at least 3 times as long as the largest measurement is in your tarp, at the very least 9 meters of paracord for a ridge line.

Reason being is not all trees are 4 meters apart and of a small diameter so far better to have plenty spare than cuss and swear you don't have enough :)

Did you want some of the thinner cord I mentioned in another post for guy lines Taylor?
I think I already have some of guy lines that'll do the job for my purposes as lines came with the tarp itself. I'd be more than happy to accept your offer though because there's no reason to turn down spare cord, really.

Right now I have 550 paracord which will do the job for the ridgeline right? I'm not sure what the type or name of the line I have that will be used as the guy lines but I assume they'll do the job considering they came with the tarp.

PM me if you like, but you don't need to offer me anything if you don't have the time to post any spare cord in the mail.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
What you've said will work, but prussics and hitches I must confess I don't bother with. Being a fly fisherman I should be better with knots but it's either a blood knot (fishing one) , reef knot, overhand or a granny knot. I do know how to use prussics but it's easier to set up with just the ridge line through the loops in my opinion and quicker in bad weather too. And yes as the others said just melt the paracord ends with a lighter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You don't need to run a full length ridgeline Taylor but it's a popular choice, some say it adds extra protection with falling branches but you need to be lucky for that to work. The other option is to simply tie off from the end of the tarp directly to your trees, if you're using poles this is actually easier as you don't have the faff of getting the ridgeline taught, you just peg straight to the ground from your pole tips.

I do use a full length ridgeline on my hammocking tarps, but I use lightweight tarps and skinny 2mm arborist throwline. On my ground tarps I just tie off from the ends. With a full length ridgeline you get the ability to slide your tarp along the ridgeline and get it exactly where you want it.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
What you've said will work, but prussics and hitches I must confess I don't bother with. Being a fly fisherman I should be better with knots but it's either a blood knot (fishing one) , reef knot, overhand or a granny knot. I do know how to use prussics but it's easier to set up with just the ridge line through the loops in my opinion and quicker in bad weather too. And yes as the others said just melt the paracord ends with a lighter.

I've noticed through watching several videos that there are many ways to set up the tarp to the ridgeline. I don't think you need a prusik knot. Do you think it's possible to just the ridge line through the tarps loops so that it holds in place? I saw a video of someone literally sliding the tarp through the already set up ridgeline. Seems there's a lot of different methods. Is that what you do?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Note that the method suggested in the video I recommend needs no "complicated" knots. Actually,you alredy know the knot needed to make Prussik loops - you make a loop of cord by tying the ends together with a blood knot! Here''s a video explaining the use of Prussik loops for a trap ridge line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0ILI1hrDY

Do not use a square (reef) knot in making the loop, a blood knot is far, far better. To attach the ridge line to the tree you can use any simple knot, but a taut line hitch is probably the best, it is a half blood knot on a bight. With the taut line hitch you can adjust the tension easily. Same with your guy lines. I leave a taut line hitch o the end of each then adjust as required when pegging out the tarp to get the correct tension.

p.s. where the video,and most instructionals, say use three loops in a Prussik, if you are using the same size paracord for both the ridge line and the Prussik loop, then 4 loops will give better grip.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So is the 3x3 compatible with poles or not? So many differing opinions....

And no, Rik, I didn't just spend £30 odd to go and buy a tent instead. The point is to learn to use a tarp as that's what I want to do.

PM your details and I'll send you a tent to keep you going...nothing fancy but will get you up and running, warm and dry whilst you work on your tarp technique.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've noticed through watching several videos that there are many ways to set up the tarp to the ridgeline. I don't think you need a prusik knot. Do you think it's possible to just the ridge line through the tarps loops so that it holds in place? I saw a video of someone literally sliding the tarp through the already set up ridgeline. Seems there's a lot of different methods. Is that what you do?

Yes, I never use any fancy knots to set it up, especially in harsh weather, it's much quicker without prussics to me :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE