Tarp questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, right now I'm trying to configure my first tarp and I'm having trouble with it because it seems a lot bigger than I really need. It's a bit hard to control. It almost seems like I need two people do to the A frame. Any advice? I bought 3x3 but it really seems too big for what I need. Also, is the ridgeline the part in the centre of the tarp which has the black loops? I'm watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v05DV6gnlw but I can't really see what he's doing, especially not with the walking poles.

3RNdHiB.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's rare I use a tarp in a A-frame config but this is how I do it ...

[video=youtube;kU6MNEEBbjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6MNEEBbjI[/video]

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Only one vid per post, I never knew that :) ..

This is another option if you've got the 3x3 ..

[video=youtube;yMAtpWQdVbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAtpWQdVbY[/video]

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hello, right now I'm trying to configure my first tarp and I'm having trouble with it because it seems a lot bigger than I really need. It's a bit hard to control. It almost seems like I need two people do to the A frame. Any advice? I bought 3x3 but it really seems too big for what I need. Also, is the ridgeline the part in the centre of the tarp which has the black loops? I'm watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v05DV6gnlw but I can't really see what he's doing, especially not with the walking poles.

3RNdHiB.jpg

I think a 3x3 is too big to pitch practically with walking poles. In the first instance i would use a ridgeline between 2 trees.

This vid will give you the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpagec4fQI

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I thnk the walking pole pitch is a bad idea with a tarp that big too, 3x3 fits two people easily so needs to be a bit higher and stronger than walking poles. Although it'll make a great sized shelter for ne, very roomy.

I know you said before you wanted to do the a frame set up as you didn't want to feel to exposed or sleep to much out in the open, but I would suggest you have a look at diamond fly/plow point set ups. The way I use it it is quite open but if you lover the point it becomes more like a tuned she's later and you can make the sides narrow or widel you will need trees to do this. Search the threads I have started and there are pics of it in my Boone Challeange thread.

Hope this helps! :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Oh... that would probably explain why I didn't have any luck trying to set up the A frame with walking poles just now. Plus the horrendous wind. It kept constantly falling down and had all sorts of problems... Should I just try it on trees then? That's probably a better idea. I can see why that would be a lot easier.

I had questions regarding how to fix the loop to the walking pole and several others that pertained to this set up in conjunction with the poles, but I guess they don't really matter since we now know that the 3x3 is too big for a walking pole set up. I wasn't aware of this, however, and I thought the 3x3 was actually not going to be as big as it is.

OU966SY.png

Here is what I was working on. It worked up to a point, but I couldn't figure out how to get the ridge line straight and the bungee cord I was using didn't seem to be doing anything. Oh well. I think I'll go out and try it on trees in the woods tomorrow weather permitting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
3x3 is a minimum in reality, play with the configurations posted and buy a tent. The tent will be easier for you to pitch and allow you to develop your outdoor skills without worrying about keeping draft free and dry.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The 3x3 is my goto shelter as it does my hammocking and ground dwelling in one tarp quite often(I do have doors on all mine though). I've pitched it in stupid conditions on my walking poles.

Order.

1 tie lines to sticks, I like to use 2 lines off each pole in a v shape.
2 stake poles out upright and let them collapse
3 run a ridgeline from the sticks and tie tight so it's all supporting and stable, you should now have a bomber A frame.
4 Attach ridgeline loops to ridgeline with mini crabs or with the tarp prethreaded onto the ridgeline(I pre-thread mine as the ridgeline is always on it)
5 tension tarp to ridgeline by tieing to the sticks again or using prussic knots (I use prussics)
6 stake down tarp edge tie-outs to finish.

To save time and hassle, you could just attach the loops to the sticks by putting the loops over the spikes. This is fine for anything other than bad conditions.

The Aframe is a lovely pitch in reasonable weather and easy to convert to a lean to. For windier conditions or rain , I generally find the simple lean to or flying V or diamond fly a better shape.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
So is the 3x3 compatible with poles or not? So many differing opinions....

And no, Rik, I didn't just spend £30 odd to go and buy a tent instead. The point is to learn to use a tarp as that's what I want to do.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
So is the 3x3 compatible with poles or not? So many differing opinions....

And no, Rik, I didn't just spend £30 odd to go and buy a tent instead. The point is to learn to use a tarp as that's what I want to do.

3 x 3 is pitchable on walking poles but im suggesting you begin at the beginning. You can get fancy with poles later. You seem to be missing guy lines to the poles which is probably why you are struggling.

Pitching between 2 trees will give you a good understanding of a basic setup and teach you the most common knots for setting up camp.

the best knots tutorial ive seen is swissgearlabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-CwJNEkcs

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A very simple set up, one line and three pegs. You could tie off to the top of one of your fence posts. The sleeping bag gives you an idea of the space.

View attachment 29540View attachment 29541View attachment 29542View attachment 29543

Cameron & CK beat me to it.

The diamond fly pitch he has illustrated above is probably a much easier pitch to begin (& continue) with. It's easy to set up, even in wind, and offers ample protection from the elements without 'closing you in'.

Give it a go and wait for calmer conditions to try other, more complicated pitches.

YHFdifly.jpg

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
3 x 3 is pitchable on walking poles but im suggesting you begin at the beginning. You can get fancy with poles later. You seem to be missing guy lines to the poles which is probably why you are struggling.

Pitching between 2 trees will give you a good understanding of a basic setup and teach you the most common knots for setting up camp.

the best knots tutorial ive seen is swissgearlabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-CwJNEkcs

Yes, indeed. I want to camp with the A frame either raised or on the ground and I think using trees with just the guy lines and pegs will be a lot easier. The only reason I wanted to try it with walking poles first was to see if that method would work and also because it was in a more familiar and quieter environment - my garden - for my first tarp set up. Understand?

Thanks. :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
This video is IMO one of the best and clearest to show clearly setting up a 3x4 tarp using poles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-5R9PCIok

With a 3x3 do the same but without the fold under at the rear

Bungees don't help, You need dimensionally stable line (i.e. low stretch).

The diamond (or plough) form suggested is also a good idea for a learning pitch. That and the half pyramid in the video start by staking the tarp to the ground, and then inserting the pole to lift the roofto form a stable free standing structure. The A-frame is difficult to raise solo on poles. easier between trees of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE