tarp poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I always hike with a pair of hiking poles so that's the logical thing for me to use. If you don't already try using a set, your back and joints will thank you in the long run :).

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Walking poles you can use while hiking, and for setting up a shelter. A normal pole is only usefull for that. I'll take the hiking poles anytime, it helps in more ways ;)

The pole you linked is only good for dome tents btw, try to set up a tarp shelter with it as a standing pole, and it'll just bend and cave in.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
the wilko pole is just too long in it collapsed position and as for the tent pole being too bendy I think you are right.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Something I don't see utilised very often and is really useful for this sort of thing is the humble extendable 'bankstick', quite cheap come in all kinds of lengths and materials from 6" up to 8'. There are attachments that can be bought to fit onto/into the 3/8" BSF thread on the top of them but it is also pretty easy to make your own with a bit of ingenuity and imagination, anything from shop bought weed-cutter to home made mini saw allowing you to reach up into trees, hooks, balls to prevent damage to the tarp if used as a 'tent pole'. I even have a threaded stud which goes into the bankstick and then into the camera or binoculars to help steady them (shooting stick fashion). They also work reasonably well as a simple hiking pole/stick.

D.B.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A google search for 'basha poles' will throw up quite a few options, although you may find that they are rather short for your needs - being as they are, designed for military use.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up philipb,

Re your tarp poles question - have a look at my post today - Fibre Glass Shock Cord Pole Mod for Poncho/Basher - it may give you some food for thought.

I've posted it separately so that it can be picked up generally as opposed to someone just searching for a tarp subject.

Hope it helps.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
use existing rocks/rock faces, hummocks, dry-stone walls, ruins, dry peat-banks, slopes etc - then all you need are pegs & cord.

if it is for a place to sleep then finding a good spot and taking the time to give yourself a good set up is normally not to difficult.

what I find harder is a quick stop in foul weather when you want a shelter just for a meal stop

As with a lot of bushcraft the greater the need the more difficult it is to achieve

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
If you go to Bear Bones Bikepaking web site, the guy you runs the forum makes them to order in carbon for weight saving. Most of those guys use tarps

Andy

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
the sad part is I threw away and old gazebo only a few weeks ago I could of made up some custom length poles from the legs if I had only thought of it sooner

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Stick with the walking poles or what the land has to offer. You don't want to be hauling washing poles or other items that only add weight and take up space in your kit.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Trouble is I used to carry the trekking poles on my sack just to use for the shelter. I don't get on with trekking poles personally and my knees are just fine. It was climbing on an indoor wall that did for my cartilage.

I'm looking for poles to use my 4m tarp when car camping. I don't have to worry about weight only pack size. ALDI washing line props at £2.49 each sound good for that but my gear freak tendencies prefer something more tent pole like. So anyone recommend a carbon fibre or dac type aluminum pole for this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE