Budget tarp tents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

I was curious to know if anyone has had any experience with these Chinese tarp tent shelters, and how they compare to well known tarp tent brands,

I was considering,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweig...hash=item4b07af8023:m:mybyceS3U6Vu6nnE0EwMlJQ

Has anyone got any experience with these? No mention of weight

As I need a ground shelter for when I take the dug and for tree-less biomes. I was mulling over the Six Moon Design Lunar Solo but it's twice as expensive - but is it twice as good?

I like the Chinese one for a few reasons: It's cheaper, for one; and the 'nest' and outer are independent.

Design doesn't look quite as good - clearance over the foot end looks low so might cause issues with condensation.

Can anyone offer alternatives or advice? Thanks!

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
Robens Starlight II Tent or just the single one. Ultimate outdoor is selling them for less than 100£

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Not bad, but I'm really looking for a single skinned tarp tent that I can use with hiking poles, rather than a tent with separate inner and fly sheet. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I bought something very similar from aliexpress. The brand was 'Axeman' but the same design as the one linked.
It was difficult to get a taught pitch although that might come with practice however the silnylon began to delaminate after just 3 nights use so the tarp is more or less useless. The inner nest is pretty good and I've used it a couple of times below a DD tarp.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I bought something very similar from aliexpress. The brand was 'Axeman' but the same design as the one linked.
It was difficult to get a taught pitch although that might come with practice however the silnylon began to delaminate after just 3 nights use so the tarp is more or less useless. The inner nest is pretty good and I've used it a couple of times below a DD tarp.

Yes my concerns were centred around durability. I've flogged my DD tarp to death (over about 5 years use) and it leaks like a sieve. That's to be expected, but not after 3 nights use as you experienced with your tarp.

Is this the one you bought,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AXE...lt&btsid=acea3d5e-4104-4cb9-9ff9-4e19a6c0114b

Looks to be a better shape than the ebay number - very similar to the SMD one, actually, from first glance.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE